Is there a way to anonymously start a web site?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Say I want to create "discoisbest.org", but be anonymous for obvious reasons. Is that possible? How? It seems like people are usually able to identify the creators. I'm not looking for anything shady, like the infamous 'dark web', which I know nothing about except it has bad things.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
You'd have to use a domain name registration service to purchase your domain that accepts anonymous registration (i.e. ones like Domains By Proxy, GoDaddy Private Domain Registration, etc).

WHOIS searches for the domain then wouldn't show your name as the owner, but rather would reference the service you bought the domain through.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
You'd have to use a domain name registration service to purchase your domain that accepts anonymous registration (i.e. ones like Domains By Proxy, GoDaddy Private Domain Registration, etc).

WHOIS searches for the domain then wouldn't show your name as the owner, but rather would reference the service you bought the domain through.
or use a DNS redirection service and host the site on your own personal server.

Reactions: Steltek

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You could get a PO Box, and a voip type phone number from a free provider (I'm not too familiar myself with any but I'm sure there are some), that way you don't need to give your real address or phone number to the registrar. Keep in mind that the PO Box will be linked to you so if you did anything illegal with the domain it could be traced, but if you just want to stop people from tracking through whois then that works. Whois privacy is a good idea too but there are situations where it won't work, such as the few moments before it is active. Some sites like whois.sc keep a history of whois records and people can pay to see it. So if your site's whois privacy expires, or you forgot to turn it on right away etc... it's on there.

For the web host part, it's kinda hard as you will need to give them a credit card number, but I think prepaid credit cards, like those vanilla gift cards, might work. So you could buy one at the store using cash and use that to sign up for the host.

You will need an email address at some point throughout the process but you can use a throw away gmail, and once the site/server is setup, switch the email to one hosted on that server. Keep in mind however that if you need to do anything that involves the domain, like transfering to a diffrent registrar, if the email is tied to that domain you want to make sure the domain will continue to resolve to your DNS server during that whole process and that your host also works. For example if you need to receive any type of email confirmations.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Last web site I made, they didn't ask for my driver's license or anything, I could have easily given them fake info, except however you want to be contacted whether burner phone or throwaway email, and you can pay cash to load money onto debit cards.

Be sure to wear your disguise mask when paying for the debit card and phone so they can't get an ID from the cameras, and leave the burner phone off and call from somewhere other than home or work so they can't track you. ;)

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
I think you can buy domains and hosting from some companies anonymously using bitcoin. I entered those keywords in a search engine and found several.