Is there a viable solution to getting people off lifetime govt assistance?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Hey if you want to raise the minimum wage, I could be for it but you have to raise my wage as well. Otherwise, why the fuck did I bother becoming a productive citizen?

That's kinda what happens......rising tide floats all boats.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Of course the little guys wouldn't vote to fuck themselves. They would vote for Government Representatives that would take money from the Rich, and give it to them. They would vote to spend indiscriminately into debt.

Same shit we are seeing today.

-John

How do you take money from the rich ?

They are corporations that are a person, with a board of shareholders, with banks of lawyers and tax protection.

Maybe some will trickle down one day...

b8hxUCa.jpg

Last edited:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Get rid of illegals by requiring verification of work eligibility for all workers, fine each employer 50k per day per incident. Massively curtail H1Bs. Create tax incentives for onshoring workers. Create reciprocal trade requirements. Watch wages raise and motivation to work increase. Sure, inflation would go up, but it is a virtuous cycle.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
That's kinda what happens......rising tide floats all boats.
One of the unintended consequences is partially illustrated by your response. Wages rise for everyone, increasing demand and also the cost of producing some things. What follows necessarily is higher prices, eventually leaving everyone not as well of as they thought they would be. Whether it is a better place than before, after wage/price equilibrium is established is unknowable.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hey if you want to raise the minimum wage, I could be for it but you have to raise my wage as well. Otherwise, why the fuck did I bother becoming a productive citizen?

If you are as important to your Employer as you seem to think you are, your Wages will increase.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I've never understood why our Welfare system is just free money for not putting in any work. Tell me any of you has not driven down the street or highway and not seen trash all over the side of the road. Give these guys the reflective vests a trash bag and a picker and get them out there. Graffiti, weed filled medians, public park trash I don't care what it is, these people can be given SOMETHING.. ANYTHING to do that has them work for these benefits. Sorry but there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done that doesn't have a standard job for it. Once it's not a free get it for nothing you can bet your azz people will look for work finally and the ones that don't, well win for them and less worse for the tax payer.

Nov 8, 2012
I've never understood why our Welfare system is just free money for not putting in any work. Tell me any of you has not driven down the street or highway and not seen trash all over the side of the road. Give these guys the reflective vests a trash bag and a picker and get them out there. Graffiti, weed filled medians, public park trash I don't care what it is, these people can be given SOMETHING.. ANYTHING to do that has them work for these benefits. Sorry but there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done that doesn't have a standard job for it. Once it's not a free get it for nothing you can bet your azz people will look for work finally and the ones that don't, well win for them and less worse for the tax payer.

Same could be said for prison inmates, except they get room and board as well ;)

I believe that some prison's do those types of activities - if the prisoner volunteers (in hopes of getting out quicker). In reality, all of them should be forced to be contributing members of society instead of saying "Sit around, eat shitty food that we make for you, and lift weights and read books all day. Oh also, don't forget about your conjugal visits."

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Of course the little guys wouldn't vote to fuck themselves. They would vote for Government Representatives that would take money from the Rich, and give it to them. They would vote to spend indiscriminately into debt.

Same shit we are seeing today.

-John

The solution to both this and OP question is for the voting franchise to reflect the amount of transfer payments you receive. Combined with cumulative voting to address the "voting 3rd party is like a vote for the party you oppose" and you fix two problems. Net taxpayers get full allotment of cumulative votes and they get reduced relaitive to how much loot you're getting from Uncle Sam, no matter whether you're a poor welfare recipient or a rich corporate welfare recipient raking in subsidies.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Because it's intended to be temporary & because it mostly benefits small children. It's not like small gubmint conservatives want to pay for the staff & means to organize such efforts, anyway, or to pay people to watch the kids.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
One of the unintended consequences is partially illustrated by your response. Wages rise for everyone, increasing demand and also the cost of producing some things. What follows necessarily is higher prices, eventually leaving everyone not as well of as they thought they would be. Whether it is a better place than before, after wage/price equilibrium is established is unknowable.

I would say that higher demand becomes a fuel for increased production which requires more workers which creates more jobs. You want inflation, it's an indicator of a healthy economy to a certain point. The trick however is to create the jobs here, not in Mexico, China etc...

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
sterilization is def out of the question.

So any viable solutions?

Why out of the question? Have the government pay women for voluntary sterilization. Then they can bang all the dudes they want and we dont have to foot a $100K+ lifetime bill for their broken family kids. There are a LOT of women who would take 10 or even 5 grand to have their tubes tied. The long term cost savings would be tremendous. Its not just the direct costs either. Children who grow up in single family homes are far more likely to be a financial detriment to society. The kind of women who would let themselves get impregnated by the wrong man are precisely the kind of women who would take the money. It is a perfectly equitable solution. Once the market for these sorts of operations expands enough, some company will bring to the market a bionic valve implant that allows a woman to open her tubes and start having children. If she decides to do this she can pay the money back. This is an example of the government actually subsidizing good behavior for a change.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I would say that higher demand becomes a fuel for increased production which requires more workers which creates more jobs. You want inflation, it's an indicator of a healthy economy to a certain point. The trick however is to create the jobs here, not in Mexico, China etc...

Yeah, probably all of what you and I mention would happen to some degree. It's impossible to know the net effect.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Facts are a pesky thing it seems for them

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevemo...pped-out-of-work-force-than-have-found-a-job/

Folks out of the workforce have to be realistic and adjust their expectations, if that means someone with a degree in basket weaving who worked at a company turning widget a for 40 years is now no longer looking to make 100K and instead drop back to 70K yeah it hurts....been there, done that...

lately it seems more folks have no incentive to get off assistance once on
Which is hardly surprising given that assistance keeps improving and jobs keep getting worse, at least for the low skilled. Without some valuable, scarce job skill, one can only hope to get a government job or else earn less than an illegal will accept and replacement by automation would cost.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Which is hardly surprising given that assistance keeps improving and jobs keep getting worse, at least for the low skilled. Without some valuable, scarce job skill, one can only hope to get a government job or else earn less than an illegal will accept and replacement by automation would cost.

pretty soon everyone can work at McDonalds and be guaranteed $15+/HR