is there a trick to remembering effect & affect?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Ok, this always confuses me. Is there a trick in remembering the correct way to use effect and affect.

SackOfAllTrades

Diamond Member
May 7, 2000
all I can tell you is that whenever you try to figure out which is which, just think "special effect" and hopefully that should remind you that "effect" is a noun and "affect" is the verb.

thawolfman

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
Ok, this always confuses me. Is there a trick in remembering the correct way to use effect and affect.

Damn I didn't use the wrong one in my thread title, did I? :confused:

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Why don't you write "affect = verb" on your left hand and "effect = noun" on your right hand...

-geoff

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
The confusion of the verbs affect and effect is not only quite common but has a long history. Effect was used in place of affect as early as 1494 and in place of affect as early as 1652. If you think you want to use the verb effect but are not certain, check the definitions in this dictionary. The noun affect is sometimes mistakenly used for effect. Except when your topic is psychology, you will seldom need the noun affect.

*edit* and both can be used as a noun or verb.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Effect is commonly used as a noun and a verb. I've only ever seen affect used as a verb.

Effect (verb) means to cause, as in "I effected a change".
Effect (noun) means a consequence of an action, as in "cause and effect".
Affect (verb) means to influence something, as in "His death affected her".

It's just something you have to memorize.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
The common ones are in bold.

Effect - "Wow, the special effects are great." This is a noun, and the most common form of the word you'll encounter.

Effect - "He produced a plan to effect change in the company." In this case, it's a verb which means "to bring about". This is much less common than the noun "effect", but maybe easier to confuse with "affect". If you're not sure, either look it up or choose another verb.

Affect - "Violence does not affect me." Verb, and this is the one you'll use and hear and read all the time.

Affect - "He has a weird affect, like a facial tick." This one is different from the verb "affect". It's pronounced differently (stress on the first syllable, "a" as in "dad"), and refers to facial expression and mannerism and stuff like that. If you see this word, you'll know it, because it's completely unrelated to the verb and is always in clear context.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Effect is commonly used as a noun and a verb. I've only ever seen affect used as a verb.

Effect (verb) means to cause, as in "I effected a change".
Effect (noun) means a consequence of an action, as in "cause and effect".
Affect (verb) means to influence something, as in "His death affected her".

It's just something you have to memorize.

Instead of simply memorizing it, I would suggest learning it and knowing it.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Their completely interchangeable... like their, there, they're... and its/it's...

Other interchangeable pairs:

n00b/nub
potato/potatoe
dual/duel

:D

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: silverpig
Their completely interchangeable... like their, there, they're... and its/it's...

Other interchangeable pairs:

n00b/nub
potato/potatoe
dual/duel

:D

U have one or too good points in this post, to.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Dammit, I KNEW I was missing a big one... to/too/two... argh. I guess I've trained myself too well that I have trouble getting it wrong now :)