Question Is there a speed penalty running a single stick of ddr5 like there is with ddr4.

APJ

Jan 24, 2022
Is there a speed penalty running a single stick of ddr5 like there is with ddr4?

APJ

Jan 24, 2022
Yes, dual-channel memory will still only work with two DIMMs.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was under the impression that ddr5 was behaving differently from ddr4 with respect to dual -channel.
I'm just about to upgrade my existing (MSI H97 Gamer 3, i5 4690 and r9 390) to Intel's LGA 1700.
Just in 2 minds to go for ddr5 or 4, because I have no idea how long intels CPU's will support ddr4.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
I'm just about to upgrade my existing (MSI H97 Gamer 3, i5 4690 and r9 390) to Intel's LGA 1700.
Just in 2 minds to go for ddr5 or 4, because I have no idea how long intels CPU's will support ddr4.
That H97 is a ddr3 board, isn't it? You have to replace CPU, board, and RAM. How likely do you think it to be that you would transfer RAM from LGA 1700 system to the successor in future upgrade? How often have you done that in the past? Could ddr6 be already a "thing" at the time of your next upgrade?

I would get what is easy to get with reasonable price right now. Future is a bridge that we'll cross when we get to it, if we ever get to it ...

APJ

Jan 24, 2022
That H97 is a ddr3 board, isn't it? You have to replace CPU, board, and RAM. How likely do you think it to be that you would transfer RAM from LGA 1700 system to the successor in future upgrade? How often have you done that in the past? Could ddr6 be already a "thing" at the time of your next upgrade?

I would get what is easy to get with reasonable price right now. Future is a bridge that we'll cross when we get to it, if we ever get to it ...
I hear what you're saying, but im wondering if, when I want to upgrade the Intel CPU in maybe 2 years time, will that CPU more likely support ddr5 or still ddr4.

I can get (Buy) a stick here, ADATA XPG Lancer RGB DDR5 5200, for about USD 150

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
I hear what you're saying, but im wondering if, when I want to upgrade the Intel CPU in maybe 2 years time, will that CPU more likely support ddr5 or still ddr4.

If you're just upgrading the CPU in a couple years, it will almost certainly support whatever your then-existing motherboard will support.

Intel likes to change chipset compatibility with (almost) every generation, so if you're expecting to plug in a (say) 14th gen CPU into a 12th gen compatible motherboard, be aware that it's unlikely to happen.

In other words, buy what you can get at a decent price today and don't worry about it. The notion of dropping in a new CPU becomes largely irrelevant after a couple years anyway.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

APJ

Jan 24, 2022
If you're just upgrading the CPU in a couple years, it will almost certainly support whatever your then-existing motherboard will support.

Intel likes to change chipset compatibility with (almost) every generation, so if you're expecting to plug in a (say) 14th gen CPU into a 12th gen compatible motherboard, be aware that it's unlikely to happen.

In other words, buy what you can get at a decent price today and don't worry about it. The notion of dropping in a new CPU becomes largely irrelevant after a couple years anyway.
Appreciate everyone's opinion and reply, will heed the advise and very likely buy ddr4 to stay within the budget.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was under the impression that ddr5 was behaving differently from ddr4 with respect to dual -channel.

You always want to max out the number of channels your CPU can support.
Most Processors will be dual channel, so you want two sticks and also make sure XMP profile is enabled.
CPU's like ThreadRipper Pro's have 8 channel, so you would want to max out all 8 channels.