Is there a Republican you would *like* to run for president in 2016?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Who gives a shit what color, gender, sexual orientation, ect. the president it?

We have already seen when people vote for a novelty in the first (white) black president.

I give a shit, that's who. 2 women enter, one women gets elected, sounds like a fair proposition to me. They can both have female running mates for vice just to sweeten the deal.

I don't consider 2 women a novelty act and think the female gender is sorely needed in the White House for a change. And I pretty much don't care who it is, either, as long as it's not some bought out hypocritical gasbag who says one thing in front of the cameras, and then votes the opposite way when she thinks nobody is looking.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I give a shit, that's who. 2 women enter, one women gets elected, sounds like a fair proposition to me. They can both have female running mates for vice just to sweeten the deal.

I don't consider 2 women a novelty act and think the female gender is sorely needed in the White House for a change. And I pretty much don't care who it is, either, as long as it's not some bought out hypocritical gasbag who says one thing in front of the cameras, and then votes the opposite way when she thinks nobody is looking.
There is virtually no chance that anyone of any or all genders will become the nominee of either major party without being a bought out hypocritical gasbag who says one thing in front of the cameras, and then votes the opposite way when she thinks nobody is looking. This is due entirely to we the people who vote based on party affiliation and on what a candidate says rather than what a candidate has done, and also because we reward candidates who tell us what we want to hear even though we know that's not what is going to happen.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
There is virtually no chance that anyone of any or all genders will become the nominee of either major party without being a bought out hypocritical gasbag who says one thing in front of the cameras, and then votes the opposite way when she thinks nobody is looking. This is due entirely to we the people who vote based on party affiliation and on what a candidate says rather than what a candidate has done, and also because we reward candidates who tell us what we want to hear even though we know that's not what is going to happen.

I was specifically referencing some highly placed well known female party hacks who already do this hypocritical political doublespeak on a regular basis, and I just didn't want to point fingers. But I'm sure you can easily guess at a few.

And we only get these flipflopping male candidates because they don't have the balls to stand up to their promises and ideals. And most women I know have way more balls than most men I know. If they didn't, men would never be browbeaten down by them into getting married, am I right? You know I am.

The best way to rip an election for pres right down the middle is run 2 female candidates, but they cannot have a flipflopping track record and be largely reviled by their own parties, so that removes a few from the running right off the top of the pile, don't it?

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I vote Libertarian every time.
its pointless.
They wont win.

I need the GOP to change.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater

Its never pointless to vote 3rd party. Especially if said votes costs either party elections. Eventually these parties will have to wake up and realize that those votes cast out principal and/or protest do matter and they can't taken lightly like they do with blind lockstep voters.

Hence IMHO it is those who voters who run to the polls lockstep for the 2 dominant parties who are the ones who really throw their away votes in the long term. As both parties have grown accustom to not being challenged within their own ranks and thus both major parties have become corrupt, complacent and rotten at their cores because they have grown lazy due to people blindly voting for them in each election "Hoping" for "Change".

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
I'd like to see Rand run, and I have always been a fan of Jindal. I don't like Rubio and saying that I hope whoever it is they are of a new era from BOTH parties. I don't want to see a Clinton or Biden run and a Bush or Santorum on the conservative side.

But as long as its Paul, Rubio, Christie, Ryan, etc I'd be alright with it. Anyone who can bring new blood and ideas to the GOP.

I'm very interested in Tom Cotton at the moment but he was pratically just sworn in so not much to go on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Cotton

1359074114-tom-cotton1.png
Tom Cotton will announce that he will run for Senate in Arkansas. The guy is a true believer and would fit right in ... the 18th century. Cotton recently introduced an amendment to a bill to also charge the family members of people who are charged with violating sanctions against Iran. That's right, he wants to lay the sins of the father on the son and close family members with punishment up to 20 years in prison. This is the Republican party today.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Its never pointless to vote 3rd party. Especially if said votes costs either party elections. Eventually these parties will have to wake up and realize that those votes cast out principal and/or protest do matter and they can't taken lightly like they do with blind lockstep voters.

Hence IMHO it is those who voters who run to the polls lockstep for the 2 dominant parties who are the ones who really throw their away votes in the long term. As both parties have grown accustom to not being challenged within their own ranks and thus both major parties have become corrupt, complacent and rotten at their cores because they have grown lazy due to people blindly voting for them in each election "Hoping" for "Change".

I think you mean it's always pointless, since "said vote" has probably never cost either party an election. There also doesn't seem to be any difference between a 3rd party vote and simple apathy if the point is just to keep out parties 1 and 2.

How is voting 3rd party better than not voting?

In the first place, how is voting better than not voting, unless you live in a swing state? It's a foregone conclusion which candidate will be receiving the votes 80% of the time.

Therefore apathy should be promoted over 3rd party voting. It's just as effective but uses 70% less energy.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I think you mean it's always pointless, since "said vote" has probably never cost either party an election. There also doesn't seem to be any difference between a 3rd party vote and simple apathy if the point is just to keep out parties 1 and 2.

In the first place, how is voting better than not voting, unless you live in a swing state? It's a foregone conclusion which candidate will be receiving the votes 80% of the time.

Therefore apathy should be promoted over 3rd party voting. It's just as effective but uses 70% less energy.

In terms of what's real nothing makes a difference. That's not apathy, but an expression of reality. No one can oppose the party and no one can change them.

Only possible chance (and that's slim) is a Constitutional convention to mercilessly uproot the current system.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
In terms of what's real nothing makes a difference. That's not apathy, but an expression of reality. No one can oppose the party and no one can change them.

Only possible chance (and that's slim) is a Constitutional convention to mercilessly uproot the current system.

Your solution is to create a new system? Created by who exactly? By those that are currently in charge that we despise? Or is it to be created by people that elected the former in the first place?

You can't fix an issue without fixing the underlying problem. Guess what the underlying problem is?

It's the American people themselves. Stupid has become the new black, talking points have become the new "facts". Shame stupidity and destroy talking points with facts and the system will be restored.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009

That is absolutely not true at all, take a look at Ross Perot vs Bush Sr and Clinton. Then take a look at what happened IMMEDIATELY afterwards. Both parties agreed to raise the poll percentages that one needs to fall into to be in the Presidential Debates. There were many examples of this throughout our history, that one just happened to be the most embarrassing and most televised which made the two parties change the rules so that it would basically never happen again.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That is absolutely not true at all, take a look at Ross Perot vs Bush Sr and Clinton. Then take a look at what happened IMMEDIATELY afterwards. Both parties agreed to raise the poll percentages that one needs to fall into to be in the Presidential Debates. There were many examples of this throughout our history, that one just happened to be the most embarrassing and most televised which made the two parties change the rules so that it would basically never happen again.

Yeap, the debates used to be run by the League of Women Voters. They eventually refused to run them any more because the two parties put forth a list of demands that was so ridiculous that LWV couldn't stand it anymore.

After that the two parties created the Commission on Presidential Debates, and they are now the people who set the rules for who can participate in the debates. Who runs it? Why the chairmen of the two parties of course.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
What flip-flop? This flip-flop?

Yes, that flip-flop.

A cop could try to arrest the robber, while the drone can only execute him without a trial. That makes a huge difference, especially since the scenario he described does not have any imminent danger.

Last edited: