Is there a 'proper' way to ask about a dress code for a restaurant?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
So I need to make reservations at a restaurant I've never eaten at before. Is there a 'proper' way to ask if a tie is required/suggested etc without just blatantly asking? I was sick a few days in finishing school and I think I missed the day they went over this.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Personally, I figure that if you are not sophisticated enough to figure out how to ask this questions on your own, you are not sophisticated enough to eat in public.
If you do go out, please chew with your mouth closed (being a mouth breather you may need to hold your breath). The others will thank you for it.
:p

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Are you afraid they'll deny your reservation if you don't ask the proper way?

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Call them on the phone.

Ask "Do you guys have a dress code?".

Listen and note what they say.

Finshed.

Was that so hard?

If you're worried about it that much stop by before your reservations and have a drink in the bar or use the restroom and note what people are wearing.

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Do y'all gotta wear one o' them neckerchief thingies?

And a boat captains hat.

What's that movie with John Candy and the boat race, the one with the scene in the Lobster restaurant? The bad guy has a neckerchief thingie and a boat captains hat. And of course there is also Caddyshack.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
No, I was just wondering if there was some social convention that should be used.

exilera

Apr 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
No, I was just wondering if there was some social convention that should be used.

Call and ask them what the appropriate attire is for your "hoes and bitches".