Question Is there a narrow gpu that won't take both my itx brackets?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm building a mini-itx and while the case has 2 brackets most gpus use both spaces. I need an optical out, there's a spdif header on the motherboard but I'd need one of those slots to put the bracket in. I'm not a huge gamer, is there a gpu narrow enough to only take one of the bracket slots, can be full size gpu, just needs to be narrow, does such exist?

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Without going Professional (Fire Pro/Quadro) there is a Inno3D 1650 (fastest single slot GPU you can get right now) that uses just 1 slot on the case. There are R7 240, GTX 1050 Ti, 1050 GT 730 & 710's all slower than the 1650 that are also single slot. You can get a 1030 Single slot for sub $100.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Do note that single slot GPU's tend to have a rather obnoxious fan noise under load.

If you don't NEED GPu power, stick with the integrated graphics if you have them.

Reactions: guachi and Coyle

Coyle

May 15, 2020
That was my thinking, I'm not a gamer, my young son is but he plays kid games that run fine on igpu. If the time ever came to get a gpu I could always find another place for that optical out, it doesn't need a bracket. The case is a Thermaltake Suppressor F1 and there's open gridwork on the back for 2 80mm fans that with the front's 200mm stock fan I don't see myself ever needing an extra two 80mm output fans, the whole case is practically ventilated so it could be mounted to the grid of one of those 80mm rear fan spaces.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Wow, there is not a SINGLE photo of the back of that case on their site. But googling around, I was able to find some.

You could probably mount the optical out in one of the blank areas to the side of the PSU. Not sure what style mounting your optical out has, but if it can be removed from the mounting plate, then drill a hole for it in the case, feed it out there and you should be golden.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Some cases, possibly some ITX cases, will have the TWO standard brackets, perpendicular to the mobo, and them ABOVE them, they'll have a knock-out or a bracket screwed in, parallel to the board, but above the normal expansion brackets. This slot, is exactly for the sort of thing that you need it for, an I/O cable bracket, such as a serial port, parallel port, or USB port (or in your case, optical), that doesn't need to be plugged directly into the mobo, but just needs room for the expansion bracket, and it will have cables going to the mobo.

I can't list any particular models off-hand that have this, but I've seen it before, perhaps you could look specifically for a case like that.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
I need an optical out, there's a spdif header on the motherboard but I'd need one of those slots to put the bracket in.
You have a couple (more or less) unorthodox options...

1: install a low-profile waterblock on your GPU, that way many of them will fit in a single slot - IE, those with video outs only in the slot alongside the GPU PCB. (Maybe a bit over the top, I know.)

2: cut down the bracket for the SPDIF connector with some tin snips and drill a hole in the computer casing for the connector, along with holes for bolts to secure the bracket to the casing. This way you can install any video card you want, no worries.

3: or, simply get a USB soundcard with SPDIF output on it... :)

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Well, the motherboard I got is Asus and they also make an Asus brand bracket to connect to the spdif header so seemed the way to go. My case is a Thermaltake Suppressor F1 which already comes with a 200mm fan in front and vents all around so as you can see in attached pic there are lots of places that bracket, or like you said just take bracket off and put optical thru. Right now I'm holding off on a gpu, see how pricing and stuff goes, my child's games will run fine on the new i3. Interesting thing will be is the Asus rog strix has a pretty good audio onboard so will the sound be better run thru the onboard audio to the rca inputs or the digital letting my receiver process it. While for now I'm going to mount the bracket in the slot, later on one of those 80mm fan grids looks like an easy place to hook it to; I don't know about down below where the psu is at, would it be too hot down there, definitely is some room.

87452-0-90281003bc1f03aa1471041c31f8ff0b_1.jpg158590.7210b56ef048565775c0b9459525115a.9a8cd0689c631bb07a4f33c97af410b9.1600.jpg

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Edit... i did not see the optical out....
Most boards have a TOSLINK built in.
Can you not use that?

What motherboard are we talking about that has a seperate SPDIF connector as most of them are built in unless your going to use a dedicated sound card.

Last edited:

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Oh, that was just a stock pic of the case; I haven't built mine yet. Didn't find any 10th gen mini-itx boards with onboard optical, seems like they're being replaced by an audio usb c, seems to be for sophisticated headphones. The motherboard I have is the ASUS ROG Strix B460-I Gaming and this is the bracket to connect to the spdif header.
91nedXFQfcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Oh, that was just a stock pic of the case; I haven't built mine yet. Didn't find any 10th gen mini-itx boards with onboard optical, seems like they're being replaced by an audio usb c, seems to be for sophisticated headphones. The motherboard I have is the ASUS ROG Strix B460-I Gaming and this is the bracket to connect to the spdif header.
View attachment 23230

You have the part in hand so you'd get a better idea of if it's doable or not. For me at least it looks like you could remove the bracket and support the pcb by the two connectors. 2 drill holes in the back of the case is all it would take. If your paranoid you could always go for 4 holes and get a couple of small 90 degree brackets.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
View attachment 23230
Maybe just skip it and use an adapter? HDMI switch with TOSLINK audio extractor

Does add cost to the project, and I know you were trying to keep it tight on the budget.

EDIT: Old post, he already solved this problem I surmise.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Without going Professional (Fire Pro/Quadro) there is a Inno3D 1650 (fastest single slot GPU you can get right now) that uses just 1 slot on the case. There are R7 240, GTX 1050 Ti, 1050 GT 730 & 710's all slower than the 1650 that are also single slot. You can get a 1030 Single slot for sub $100.

You linked to a DDR4 version of the 1030. You have violated a cardinal rule of the Graphics forum: Thou shalt not link or otherwise reference abominations. Unless it is to condemn them. ;)

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
The new Asus Intel Xe card looks promising for this sort of use case:

Asus-DG1_678x452.jpg