Is there a Laptop Battery Management Utility that does this?

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Typical Li Po management techniques include charging to no more than 90% and no less than ~20%. Anything outside those parameters degrades any battery much faster. Many folks leave their laptops plugged in all day and although Win 10 allows one to set an upper and lower limit, it is not automated such that when the upper limit is reached the Laptop will automatically shunt out the charging circuit to allow it to float down to the lower limit and then start charging again towards the upper limit in a charge/discharge cycle.

Does anyone know of any programs that will do this?

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
This functionality requires knowledge of the laptop's charging system, so it needs implemented by the Vendor. For laptops made in the past several years, there should be either a vendor application (Dell / Lenovo for instance) or a BIOS setting (HP for instance) that allows you to configure a battery charge upper limit.

I'm not aware of any vendor that specifies a lower battery limit.

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
I don't think Windows has any control over battery charging.
In my HP laptop I can change the maximum charge limit for the battery to 80% in the UEFI firmware settings. Lenovo has some software interface for that afaik.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't think Windows has any control over battery charging.
In my HP laptop I can change the maximum charge limit for the battery to 80% in the UEFI firmware settings. Lenovo has some software interface for that afaik.
Dell used to have a Windows program where you could change some battery settings, but I don't know if they still offer it. Maybe in the Support Assist program area, I just can't remember.

I know with the last three laptops I've purchased from them, the various battery settings are also in the BIOS. Not only can you choose the charge limit (I think it has a lower limit as well), but you can change the settings to things like "usually plugged in" and it automatically adjusts the various charging parameters.

Reactions: damian101