Is there a knack to accessing the BIOS?

boing

Sep 13, 2001
I'm on a Gigabyte PA55-UD4 board, I've been in the BIOS many times, I've even been in it this morning so I know there are no issues but dear god almighty I have spent a solid hour trying to get in again and I'm going nowhere.

I've held down DEL continuously during boot up, hit it at 1 sec intervals, hit it as fast as I can over and over all through boot up, hit it once or twice and nothing works. I've tried powering the system off at the mains and leaving it a minute, still nothing.

Have I done something silly to lock myself out of it? is there a knack with these boards? I swear to god I'm going take a hammer to this damned box if I don't make progress soon.

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
Hmmm it's usually 'del' but Try f12 on bootup.
You suing a usb keyboard? Do you have an older ps2 style keyboard?

boing

Sep 13, 2001
yes, USB keyboard, I do have a ps2 if you think it's worth trying but I've checked the DEL key in Word and it's working OK. Also, I've tried hitting END on boot up to take me into QuickFlash and I'm getting nothing.

I'm starting to laugh uncontrollably, I don't think it's a good sign.

boing

Sep 13, 2001
Just checked, it's an older 5 pin keyboard plug, not ps2 so it won't fit any ports I've got.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
yes, USB keyboard, I do have a ps2 if you think it's worth trying but I've checked the DEL key in Word and it's working OK. Also, I've tried hitting END on boot up to take me into QuickFlash and I'm getting nothing.

I'm starting to laugh uncontrollably, I don't think it's a good sign.

I hear you on the maniacal laughter, hilarious but not good :).

When you boot up, are the LEDs on your keyboard lit up? Could be it is not getting power in time to register you pressing delete?

boing

Sep 13, 2001
Hmm, no lights on boot up, the keyboard only lights after windows has fully loaded which is taking a long time (2-3 mins) i wonder if i just cleared my CMOS would it take me straight to BIOS on the next boot?

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
Just checked, it's an older 5 pin keyboard plug, not ps2 so it won't fit any ports I've got.

Older like the old 'AT' Style keyboards? Your usb keyboard is wired not wireless withthe usb dongle right? Also are you testing the keyboard in windows on the same computer like you said you tested in word?

boing

Sep 13, 2001
curious, put the keyboard in a different slot and tried F12 for the boot menu which got me in, should have tried DEL, now I don't know which one fixed it.

Although I'm saying that as if I give a toss at this point, I'M IN!!!!! :):):)

Thanks for help guys!

boing

Sep 13, 2001
Just tried DEL with the new keyboard port and it worked fine, so that was it.