is there a good (hopefully free) web server for win98 and win2000

Goatboy

Oct 9, 1999
Im looking for a good, and hopefully free, webserver for win98 and win2000. any ideas.

thx. ishan

ERJ

Oct 9, 1999
Apache has a port for Windows that is supposed to be pretty good.

ERJ

Oct 9, 1999
another vote for apache.
or you can try the devil - personal web server.. anything works for basic stuff.. personally I prefer apache in Unix but its still good under windoze.

icculus

Aug 28, 2000
I got IIS with windows 2000 professional on the CD.. ?? IIS for windows is a widely used web server. I'm still an apache/unix fan for serving web content but IIS is a fine idea as well.

Nullity

Oct 13, 1999
Apache for Win32 works wonders in both Win9x and WinNT/2k. IIS for NT/2k is ok as well. I dislike IIS though, I prefer the Apache/CGI flavor. If you know C/C++ or Perl, you should go with Apache.

Null

Agaemmon

Aug 7, 2000
Actually, although I see many votes for Apache, my experiences with apache (limited to the Windows version) were not so good. It takes more configuration than I need, I really just wanted something that would allow me to test CGI programs on, and Xitami did the job for me. It is really easy to setup. If you are not looking for something high-traffic, I suggest going with Xitami for ease of use.

Xitami Site