Is there a device that allows for switching between speakers and headphones???

JJ650

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
In the past, I have had my speakers and headphones hooked up using an MS Gamevoice device. It allowed me to switch back and forth between speakers and headphones WITHOUT unplugging anything.

Now that I'm using 5.1 audio, I can't do this AND utilize all of my speakers when I want.

Is there something out there that will allow me to do this???

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
If you want a really cheap option, you could just get a splitter for the L/R front output and send the signal to both of them. If you run into any level issues, you should be able to adjust for that with soundcard controls. If your headphones don't have a volume adjust though, they'd be playing all the time.

You could also get a little switch to do that. Any sort of audio switch should work as long as you got the right adapters to connect to whatever you got.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
thats too bad, my old santa cruz soundcard had a versa jack that allowed this, the volume control software had an output selector.

JJ650

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
I am surprised that there are not any products (that are worth it) that allow you do this. I saw one made by Plaintronics, but it was only for a 2 speaker setup.

Maybe I will have to go to a receiver type of system and go for some higher end speakers while I am at it.

JonnyBlaze

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
i have my receiver hooked up to the rear audio plugs and when i plug my headphones in the plug on the front of the case the receiver cuts off.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Are your headphones 5.1 as well? If so, I missed that part as well.

Then you just need three stereo audio switches. These are not expensive. Any sort of RCA audio switch or 3.5mm audio switch will work.

If it's just stereo headphones and 5.1 speakers, just hook up the switch to the FR/FL output from your soundcard and leave the center/sub and RR/RL connections hooked up to the speakers directly.

JJ650

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
I forgot to mention that my headphones are 5.1 as well. Sorry about that!!:eek:

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
If that's the case, you can get three stereo audio switches and each one will get two out of the six signals. Switch all three and you'll be able to switch between them.

Some KMV switches support multichannel audio and that would be another option that might be cheaper than doing three stereo switches.

If it were me, unless I was really serious about this, I would just get 3 stereo extension cables to run from the back of the computer to my desk for easy access. Running the speaker cables to the desk and the headphone cables to the desk would mean that it would only take a couple seconds to change the connections for the difference devices.

jondl

Aug 16, 2005
My X-fi platinum with the break-out box allows me to do this. I can have both speakers and headphones plugged in a the same time. Theres also a setting where it lets you mute the speakers when the break-out box detects a headphone plugged in. You could also change the levels for the headphones individually through software.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Go to your nearest Radio Shack and look at audio selector switch boxes.