Is there a "Consumer Reports" for graphics cards?

t4d

Nov 17, 2018
I've tried to search this forum for a listing of the various manufacturers for graphics cards without much luck, so here goes:
Is there a site where the manufacturers cards are listed with respect to attributes like build quality, reliability and durability, heat and noise, etc?
I have been considering a Gigabyte card but have read some reviews that claim that they use cheap fans and that they are very noisy. Also that Zotec cards are cheaply built, but EVGA seem to be good quality. Is there a good site to learn such information? I'm not sure that jumping around from Amazon reviews to Newegg reviews (etc.) is a good way to find the info

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I've tried to search this forum for a listing of the various manufacturers for graphics cards without much luck, so here goes:
Is there a site where the manufacturers cards are listed with respect to attributes like build quality, reliability and durability, heat and noise, etc?
I have been considering a Gigabyte card but have read some reviews that claim that they use cheap fans and that they are very noisy. Also that Zotec cards are cheaply built, but EVGA seem to be good quality. Is there a good site to learn such information? I'm not sure that jumping around from Amazon reviews to Newegg reviews (etc.) is a good way to find the info
Amazon and Newegg reviews are a very poor source of dependable information. The various tech sites are the best source but, you have to be aware of their biases. Who knew tech shopping was this hard?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'd say, TechPowerup, HardOCP, and of course, Anandtech.

Ditto.

Places like TechPowerUp and Tweaktown (if you can stand the insane amount of ads) break down the cards, give a component analysis, and give a thermal image of the card to show any inadequate cooling. It's about the most thorough review you will find out there.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
On YouTube, GamersNexus, DigitalFoundry, and HardwareUnboxed, have good video reviews of new cards, but I don't know that they do a "lineup" of different vendor cards of the same GPU model, like TPU might.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Gamernexus. I prefer channels/sources who do in depth analysis of the hardware (not just benching), including PCB breakdowns. Buildzoid (who does the PCB breakdowns for GN), can tell you which cards are more likely to cause coil whine just by examining the inductors, coils or caps.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
While a site like TPU is great for their willingness to put different variants of the same card though the paces, it's important to remember that manufacturers are likely sending them "golden samples" or something that has had some additional QA before heading out the door (for good reason, don't want your review sample crapping out).

Would honestly consider forums like this as a good places to ask for a recommendation and see what people come back with.

I've personally had good luck over the years with MSI & XFX over the years (AMD or NV).

EVGA and PNY (don't hear about PNY much these days) were considered first tier NV board partners for a long time. XFX and Saphire tend to be AMD's best.

Reactions: VirtualLarry