Is there a comfortable way to lay in bed and use a laptop?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: bonkers325
get a massage table and use the laptop through the head/face rest

Now THAT sounds comfortable, but might be a little difficult to type :)

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
I just sit upright with 1 pillow vertical against the wall to lean on, and 1 pillow under my knees to reduce the pressure. Laptop sits on my lap, and I can type fine this way

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: aphex
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Find some hot girl to sit naked with it on her lap in the middle of the bed. Pay her if you have to. Then you won't care how confortable you are.

KT

Yea, somehow I don't think my wife will go along with that one.

...so you're saying your wife isn't hot?

better hope she doesn't read this thread :eek:

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: aphex
I've tried laying forward with my head on a pillow and the laptop out in front, but my neck gets sore awful quick.

I've tried sitting up on the back with the laptop on my lap, but the angle is uncomfortable.

Has anyone figured out a comfy way to use a laptop in bed?

Without even looking at the other replies....the laptop goes on the girls back and you can figure out the rest :p

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
lay down with a pillow below your head, bring your knees up and make your laptop at a 120º ish angle

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Find some hot girl to sit naked with it on her lap in the middle of the bed. Pay her if you have to. Then you won't care how confortable you are.

KT

There was some website that asked its readers for a pic of the strangest place they read the site. One was of a guy in bed behind a hot girl who was umm... assuming a "canine" position with the laptop on her back.

I think that pic won ;)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Laying down doesn't work. Buy one or more pillows, and arrange them against the wall. (First, put the bed against the wall.)
Use the pillows like the back of a sofa and sit on the bed. Maybe use another pillow to put the laptop at a good height. Be sure to have a book or something flat and solid under it, otherwise the pillow will insulate it by blocking off the air vents, and it'll overheat.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Get out of bed, put some pants on, and go sit at your desk you slob.

Why pants?

OP, I got a $30 dark stained wood over "bean bag" base for $10 on clearance @ OD. It looks very nice and does the trick well, also the summer cpu hotness thing.

I also have a ~ $50 list rolling wood reading cart type thang, the desk part is adjustable for tilt and height and you can swing it around over your bed so the business part is in front of you, but the solution above worked so well I never assembled it. Oh, and I got it for ~$15 @ Staples on clearance.

Hot Deals, you know . . .

Both of the above are quite nice looking, btw -- nothing hideous at all.

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
For browsing with very little typing, lie on stomach, on a pillow so chin hangs off foot of bed. Laptop is on a box at foot of bed, arms hang down to scroll and click, or can lie on bed if don't need to (watching movies or shows).

For a lot of typing, pillows against wall, lean back against them with laptop on lap, legs stretched out. Or legs indian style, probably switch between both since legs will get tired of either position. Still can't last that long doing this, maybe an hour.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Laying down doesnt help, neither does leaning against the bed with your laptop in your lap.

I find the best thing is to get a "breakfast in bed" tray/table with pop out legs and let the lappie sit on that. It releives your legs from balancing the laptop and also keeps the heat away from you.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
The second link looks kinda of neat.

WTF for the steering wheel desk. I can picture some motard trying to use it, dial a phone, smoke a cigarette, drink coffee and read the paper while flying down the freeway at 80 mph.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
If you get one of those fans via usb, they cool the laptop off and you can basically put it on you

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Last night I got a bed tray at Ikea. It's exactly the right size for my HP NC8430 (15.4") and has plenty of room on the side for the mouse. $8