Is there a better way to get full 1080P on my computer than straight Blu-Ray ripping?

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007

Now that burners are hovering around $200, it's not so ridiculous to consider an upgrade. I have a PS3, but would love to store full 1080p on the HTPC.

So I want to know, what's the easiest (and/or cheapest) way to do it?

PS: This is storage related right?

Team Spicoli

Dec 11, 2008
I've heard there is software that can upconvert to 1080p (maybe not full). I'm curious about this as well.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I just rip BD movies as ISO files and then mount them on a virtual drive. Works like a charm. Is that what you're asking? I use Fair Use Wizard.

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
I just rip BD movies as ISO files and then mount them on a virtual drive. Works like a charm. Is that what you're asking? I use Fair Use Wizard.

I haven't actually ripped a Blu Ray yet, but if it's like DVD's a straight copy isn't in ISO format. So how do you rip it straight to ISO?

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Heya,

You could simply take your BluRay and make an IMAGE of it (the *.ISO format) so that it can then be mounted on a virtual drive and used as if a disc were inserted into the system. You can do that and remove protection and clutter and just keep the content you want in a digital source file, and image file, not just a bunch of files. The only issue is that BluRay content can be pretty huge, so many gigs per disc. You would need several terabytes of storage to hang on to a bunch of BluRay titles. For example, my 1tb drive is currently holding about 160ish DVD's in ISO format (ripped as an image of the disc). They range from 5~7gigs each. BluRay titles can be 20~50gigs each. So granted, you can still hold quite a few (so much cheaper than buying a BluRay burner and media to burn to!) on HDD's, you could on average hold about 18 BluRay titles on a single 1tb drive (assuming they're 50gigs each, so clearly, you could hold more as not all of them are 50gigs). I'd say you could probably shoot for about 25 BluRays per terabyte or so. Again, just an estimate. If you consider that, for a $100 drive to hold them, and zero money for the burner/media, all you need is a drive capable of reading BluRay (to rip from) and those are relatively cheap. Overall, it's cheaper to do this than to buy bluray media for burning/copying.

The bluray burning drive will run $200ish (though getting a GOOD one is imperative, so expect more like $250 or more). From there, you would need dual-layer BluRay discs in order to take full advantage of what you're doing. Those run over $100+ for even a few right now. It's not very cost effective to copy BluRays to BluRay media. That's a huge start up cost and still expensive to maintain it. Where as you could get a $70~$100 BluRay reader and a $100 1tb HDD and have zero cost for media. Just buy another HDD every two dozen BluRays or so. It's still expensive (storage is slower to catch up to BluRay's storage capacity), but ultimately perhaps more useful.

Cheers,

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Well, not just play, but have full 1080P material stored on the computer, and playback via XBMC. I have a Sony Blu-Ray player ordered.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Yes, Malveaux is correct in all particulars. It's not a big thing. An ISO file is an image file of the BluRay disc. I create them and have a 1 TB drive to store them on. I just mount the image I want when I want to watch a movie. Of course, Blu-Ray's will fill up even 1 TB in a hurry, most of my images are around 44-50 GB. That's around 20-25 movies! Still, beats storing those things on my main RAID array. But the way things are going I'll probably have more than one of those 1 TB drives in short order, hooked to eSata connections.

Amazing, almost 20 years ago I worked for a company that built 1-2 TB optical storage systems that were the size of your kitchen. Now we can toss around 1 TB drives in trivial conversation. How times have changed.

BoboKatt

Nov 18, 2004
I am going to add to this with a stupid question.... it seems so simple but how exactly are you ripping a BR movie to ".iso" to your HD, and then mounting the image? I take it you are first using AnyDVD HD to remove protection and then rip to the HD or another app to rip like DVDFAB? Do those work for BR movies? Then mounting... I bought the premium Daemon tools.... is that what you need to mount the image once ripped to the HD? And lastly you would STILL need the premium version of the PowerDVD ultra to play the movie once it's mounted to get the full sound if your HTPC is connected to your receiver and you have say a 5.1 or even higher speaker setup? also I am assuming once you mount it that only a player like PowerDVD Ultra would actually recognize the image or are you using Media Player Home cimena to play file by file like you would .VOB file?

So actually a few stupid questions there.
Thanks

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
No BoboKatt, I need to know those as well.

What I had in mind was having all the files stored in a central location (library), and play via a slick media program like Xbox Media Center (if it does bluray). It seems as if you could mount several movies via several virtual drives, but then you'd have to navigate to My Computer, or shortcuts on the desktop.

This sounds like a viable option, but if this is how it works its not really what I had in mind.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Liberator21
No BoboKatt, I need to know those as well.

Ditto.

Is a USB 2.0 connection fast enough to handle Bluray content (external 1TB plugged into the front of the HTPC for viewing) or would I have to go eSATA for this to work properly? And is a typical 802.11G wifi connection fast enough for streaming this content?

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I'm in the dark as well, but I wouldn't go anything less than eSATA and a physical ethernet connection.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: BoboKatt
I am going to add to this with a stupid question.... it seems so simple but how exactly are you ripping a BR movie to ".iso" to your HD, and then mounting the image? I take it you are first using AnyDVD HD to remove protection and then rip to the HD or another app to rip like DVDFAB? Do those work for BR movies? Then mounting... I bought the premium Daemon tools.... is that what you need to mount the image once ripped to the HD? And lastly you would STILL need the premium version of the PowerDVD ultra to play the movie once it's mounted to get the full sound if your HTPC is connected to your receiver and you have say a 5.1 or even higher speaker setup? also I am assuming once you mount it that only a player like PowerDVD Ultra would actually recognize the image or are you using Media Player Home cimena to play file by file like you would .VOB file?

So actually a few stupid questions there.
Thanks

No, no stupid questions here. Do not feel under constraint to ask questions. :beer:

Yes, I'm using AnyDVD HD as the layer to remove the obnoxious DRM when I rip BluRays. I use the program MagicISO to rip the BluRays themselves. It actually works great and it's quite straightforward. Finally, I use an associated free program called MagicDisc to mount the ISO images for playback. Note that AnyDVD HD costs around $100, and IF YOU BUY BEFORE THE END OF THIS YEAR you can get lifetime updates. After the first of this year a yearly subscription model will be in place. Reason you need the updates is because Sony and the BluRay consortium constantly revise their DRM schemes, which the Antiguan company that offers AnyDVD applies resources to crack for updates to their software.

I hope all this is clearer.

Note that I've actually paid for all of these programs!

I was wrong above - I use Fair Use Wizard to crunch DVD movie ISO images to iPod format so I can get 'em on there. I have found that it doesn't work for BluRay ISO images, however.

All this also works under Vista 64-bit and MagicISO is a 64-bit program. Recommended.

I still use Daemon tools to mount DVD images on my XP system. That is also a totally viable option for that purpose. They may also have good burning options.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I plan on experimenting with this when my BluRay drive arrives. I got the LG drive that burns DL DVD's and reads both BluRay and HD-DVD.

I'll be attempting to rip some BluRay movies and then converting them to WMV to stream to my Xbox 360. If I'm able to do this successfully, I may invest in a WHS to store the content as I don't like leaving my normal desktop running 24/7.