Is their a name for this?

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Is their a word or name for it if like you would rather be alone then with people. For instance if i get invited to a party, I would rather stay home by myself instead of going to the party even if its for a person I like and I know it will be fun. And I love when I have the house all to myself, I just love being alone. I don't hate people, its just I'd rather be by myself. This has also lead to me wanting to just leave society for months or more, just live along with nature away from everyone else (This is more of something I would like to do, not like me running off to escape something.).

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Schizoid Personality Disorder.

Technically, that's what it sounds like. Though there's a lot of debate over whether Schizoid Personality Disorder is an actual disorder since it does not interfere at all with the person living a happy, fulfilling, and productive life.

ZV

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Hmm, antisocial.

That seems to me like that would be more along the lines of not liking people and hiding once amongst them. This is not the case for me, if I do go to a party, I'm the life of the party. Antisocial meaning I don't like to be with people, but I think this is different. I don't mind being with people, but i get, i guess you could call it a joy of sorts, just being by myself.

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

Technically, that's what it sounds like. Though there's a lot of debate over whether Schizoid Personality Disorder is an actual disorder since it does not interfere at all with the person living a happy, fulfilling, and productive life.

ZV
Hmm, this could be it. I'd say I have about 4.5 and maybe 5 if I stretch it of the things listed in the diagnostic criteria.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

ZV

Ok then, call it Schizoid Personality Order.

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Hmm, would it change the verdict of schizoid if the being alone applied only to humans, I have no issue with animals.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7

ZV

Ok then, call it Schizoid Personality Order.

:thumbsup:

you just want to be away from people sometimes.....not necessarily a disorder.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
******, I know none of you adore me, but don't avoid the ATOT meet because of me.

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Gautama2
Hmm, would it change the verdict of schizoid if the being alone applied only to humans, I have no issue with animals.

But I do think its Schizoid's, it would explain that whenever I frenched with a girl (been a while now) that there was no emotional spark. It was just the physical feeling.

Woot, add me to the rare disorders list!

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
introvert?

I was thinking of this term myself.

Sounds like me. I just don't like going to partys with people I don't know. I like my smal groups of friends.

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Aflac
antisocial?

This is one of the most misused terms psychological terms, I think. The real symptom of antisocial disorder is basically the inability to feel guilt or remorse for actions, not avoidance of social situations.

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
It's definitely not Antisocial. Antisocial people are the ones that hurt animals at a young age and grow up to be arsonists, murderers, etc. It literally means against-society. Not just "shy".

You could have a touch of asperger's

Gautama2

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
I dont think I have aspergers.

I have no trouble forming friendships, I just have no need for them. I get happiness by myself, I don't need others for that.
I am not clumsy whatsoever

And whatever the third sympom wikipedia listed does not apply either.

Pretty confident its Schizoids, schizoids would explain a lot.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I feel pretty much the same way as the OP. If I put myself out there and open up I am sure I can associate myself with others, but I prefer not to.

I prefer getting together with one or two other people, small groups, as I find that to be more meaningful than being around big groups where everybody is yacking away, yet nobody really pays attention to what the greater half is yacking about, nor care to.

I prefer to spend quality time with a select few whom I consider to be true friends. I just as much enjoy spending quiet moments or just chilling by myself.

On the other hand you have those who have many friend/acquantainces and their MSN list goes from A to Z and have to spend every moment with someone.