Is the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 ZT-P10510A-10L compatible with my ASUS P6X58D-E mobo?

Niege

Oct 24, 1999
I'm looking to upgrade my vid card for Adobe Lightroom. I currently have an old mobo, noted in title and Newegg has the Zotac on sale. Will it work and is it a good value for my non-gaming workflow? thanks.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
That motherboard has PCI-e 2.0, so it should be fine. Make sure your PSU has a PCI-e 6pin power adapter for the video card.

It should be noted that Lightroom does not use the GPU for much. Unless you also want to game, the GPU is not worth the money just for Lightroom. If its slow for you, its most likely a CPU bottleneck.

Niege

Oct 24, 1999
Thanks, Stuka87. My current vid card is a GeForce GTX 250 with 1GB, about 8 years old. Even though it works Adobe doesn't list is as supported anymore, so I was looking to see if I could future proof my Lightroom as they add more GPU specific tasks. If I'm wrong I'm glad because it will mean more $ to upgrade my mobo and CPU.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
While compatible, I'd consider avoiding the 1050 or even the 1650 both series of which are inferior to 2-3 year old cheaper cards.

For less money, better performance as well as better Linux support and more output ports (you never know), get an RX 570 which has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 3 DP compared to the Zotac 1050 which has 1,1,1 respectively.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
This is adobe lightroom not gaming we are talking about here. Everyone will be using Nvidia, so just go with Nvidia cause it's much more likely to work as that's what Adobe will have developed and debugged for being as that's what the user base is using.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
This is adobe lightroom not gaming we are talking about here. Everyone will be using Nvidia, so just go with Nvidia cause it's much more likely to work as that's what Adobe will have developed and debugged for being as that's what the user base is using.

This is not true at all. Lightroom uses OpenGL for its acceleration. nVidia has zero advantage in this area. Other Adobe apps use OpenCL for most acceleration, which AMD has had an advantage on for ages, mostly because Apple uses OpenCL heavily, and only uses Intel and AMD GPUs.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019

This isn't great logic. Everyone was buying tulips too.

Lightroom lists the required specifications, and they include the 570.

Photog sites place the 570 in a tier above the 1050, recommend the 570 or 580 as better than the 1050, recommend AMD graphics for entry level or basic level systems, and Radeons have been parts of photo editing workstations for decades without trouble. Plus it's cheaper.

Better, and cheaper.

It's certainly not a beauty pageant or a "keeping up with the Joneses" decision either.

Save the money.