IS The state Department basically Irrelevant in the Bush Administration

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
As far as I can tell the NSC is running just about every important diplomatic/foriegn policy initiative in the current administration.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I believe that State has the perennial problem of not conducting its affairs as if it has testicles. There are reasons for DoS to act that manner, but for many people, myself included, it has too many shades of Munich to be comfortable. After running into various State people and reading and listening to articles or speeches by others, there is also a danger with "country experts" identifying too closely with the country with which they are affiliated. I was in a meeting a little while ago with a political-military expert on France, and she came across as an apologist as much as an expert.

The key question is how do you draw the line between understanding a foreign country's position and allowing yourself to be unduly swayed by that position because of your affinity for that foreign country and its people?

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: AndrewR

The key question is how do you draw the line between understanding a foreign country's position and allowing yourself to be unduly swayed by that position because of your affinity for that foreign country and its people?

Like the Bushes and Saudi Arabia? In that case the answer is obvious. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

When it looks like the free lunch on behalf of the House of Saud will be over the US will show it's testicles and invade Saudi Arabia for the "good" of it's people (and not for the oil of course). How's that for "affinity"?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AndrewR
I believe that State has the perennial problem of not conducting its affairs as if it has testicles. There are reasons for DoS to act that manner, but for many people, myself included, it has too many shades of Munich to be comfortable. After running into various State people and reading and listening to articles or speeches by others, there is also a danger with "country experts" identifying too closely with the country with which they are affiliated. I was in a meeting a little while ago with a political-military expert on France, and she came across as an apologist as much as an expert.

Perhaps they know something you don't. Just because someone appears to be an apologist to you, doesn't mean they have become too close. Especially concerning France, which has more in common with the US than most others.