Is the samsun exynos the most overrated piece of junk chip on the planet?

I hate you

Dec 29, 2016
I had the exynos galaxy s5 many years ago, it was the most terrible decision I ever made. I should have bought a phone with the snapdragon chip.
The s5 throttled during gaming by about 300%. Games dropped from 60fps to 20 in less than a minute. No reviewers ever mentioned this. They only mentioned the fact that the snapdragon 801 gpu was 50% faster than that of the exynos. They didn't mention that the mali gpu also throttled three times more severely than the adreno. They simply said "The exynos should handle any modern game easily", I later realized what they meant by "handle" was that it could open any game on the playstore albeit run it like a turd. I doubt any of these reviewers even tried playing on it. Maybe they just played flappy bird for a minute and decided that was enough.

I asked around about this and all I ever got was condescending remarks like "lol big deal who plays games on their phone anyway?"

Now you may be wondering why I'm bringing up old phones instead of discussing newer ones. Well I came across these charts from techspot:
XPerformanceChart-14.jpg

See the one highlighted in green, the sony xperia x performance using the newest Snapdragon 820 chip, it starts out at a score of 3050 and after 25 runs it doesn't drop a single frame, it stays at 3050.
Compare this with the Galaxy S7 running the newest Exynos 8890, not only does it start at a lower peak score of 2850, it throttles to an outrageous 1650 after 25 runs. So in the end the snapdragon 820 has virtually Twice the performance of the Exynos 8890 in gaming.
The original review: www.techspot.com/amp/review/1213-sony-xperia-x-performance/page4.html

What's even more surprising is how many ignorant people out there go out of their way to get the exynos chipset instead of the snapdragon, for reasons like "Exynos have more cores!" even though more cores has zero effect on real performance.
I hate crapsung's exynos with a passion. I wish this line of chipsets would just die already.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
For me it's more important that a exynos chip plays audio better. Gaming on a phone is just silly imo.

I hate you

Dec 29, 2016
I mispelled Samsun on purpose cause a crao company like them they don't deserve proper spelling.
For me it's more important that a exynos chip plays audio better. Gaming on a phone is just silly imo.
As far as I know audio has to do with the speakers not the chip. And Samsung has always used a crap mono speaker.

Lodix

Jun 24, 2016
Omg so much bilis from this post...

First of all we have to take in mind that the Test might not be very accurate and can be variations in the conditions of the devices. Then you are comparing an on-screen test with one device having a 1080p display and the other a 1440p, you know a 78% increase in pixels. And lastly every OEM has different kernel implementations of their SOCs which can result in variations in the behaviour of their performance/throttling ( for example the OnePlus 3 has a very aggressive kernel and it scores higher than others SD820 implementations and it is set to throttle less so it gets a bit warmer too ). Also you can check that both variants of the S7 with Exynos and Snapdragon throttles the same in the anandtech review. Their GPUs seems to be equally efficient this year.

But the point of people preferring the Exynos over the SD this year is mostly due to the more efficiency CPU of the Exynos resulting in more battery life and better daily performance.

The quality audio is related to the DAC inside the phone. The same can be said about photography, the Snapdragon variant has choppy slow motion recording.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
To me, the bigger issue is: why can Apple design CPUs and software that will produce the best performance all day, while even the Snapdragon 820 (and 821, most likely) falters a bit after just a few runs? I'm curious to see how the Snapdragon 835 fares, but this is one of those things you'd think that Google, Qualcomm and others would have addressed a long time ago.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
To me the bigger issue is..why does mobile gaming suck balls so much? I broke down and bought a 3ds this holiday.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016

But the point of people preferring the Exynos over the SD this year is mostly due to the more efficiency CPU of the Exynos resulting in more battery life and better daily performance.

The quality audio is related to the DAC inside the phone. The same can be said about photography, the Snapdragon variant has choppy slow motion recording.

Yup, all of those make the Exynos the much better version. I believe only the US is stuck with the Qualcomm version.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
While this year's Exynos is definitely more efficient than the Snapdragon, audio quality is what the manufacturer decides to put into the phone. The LG V20 and the HTC 10 are both Snapdragon phones with better audio than the Exynos GS7 for instance.

I hate you

Dec 29, 2016

First of all we have to take in mind that the Test might not be very accurate and can be variations in the conditions of the devices. Then you are comparing an on-screen test with one device having a 1080p display and the other a 1440p, you know a 78% increase in pixels. And lastly every OEM has different kernel implementations of their SOCs which can result in variations in the behaviour of their performance/throttling ( for example the OnePlus 3 has a very aggressive kernel and it scores higher than others SD820 implementations and it is set to throttle less so it gets a bit warmer too ). Also you can check that both variants of the S7 with Exynos and Snapdragon throttles the same in the anandtech review. Their GPUs seems to be equally efficient this year.

1- Resolutions are downscaled in these tests. Plus even if they weren't that would only affect peak score since. If you're maxing out the gpu usage then regardless of resolution the chip will draw the same amount of power and release the same amount of heat.

2- OnePlus 3 is the most overrated phone out there. It uses no heat pipes. No thermal paste. No unique thermal spreading design. The only reason it doesn't throttle is simply cause the designers disabled throttling so that it would give you 1st degree burns (literally its metal back cover can exceed the 50C threshold)

3- You can check that the Snapdragon variant of the s7 throttles significantly less than the exynos, particularily in graphics benchmarks which is what truly matter to gaming. Not that useless bs muticore cpu score.

4- The quality of the audio depends on if you have beautiful crisp front facing stereo speakers like the HTC one m8 and ZTE axon 7, or if you use a cheap muffled bottom mono speaker like samsung.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
4- The quality of the audio depends on if you have beautiful crisp front facing stereo speakers like the HTC one m8 and ZTE axon 7, or if you use a cheap muffled bottom mono speaker like samsung.
LOL!
This made me laugh.

Anyone judging sound "quality" based on shitty little phone speakers of any type. LOL!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
LOL!
This made me laugh.

Anyone judging sound "quality" based on shitty little phone speakers of any type. LOL!
Yeah, where I mentioned audio from the soc I was referring to the exynos dac but the op is obviously trolling so I kept quiet.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I'd much prefer the 8890 in my S7 Edge over the S820 due to the significantly better battery life with the better CPU performance being unimportant but a nice plus.

I do think the GPU in the S820 is superior to the 8890, but the throttling results using benchmarking programs seem meaningless to me outside of a pretty niche group of users, especially when using on-screen results (vs off-screen). You can drop the game resolution to 1080p on the S7 Edge using Samsung's built in software and likely have it run smoothly until the battery dies. Heck drop it to 720p (like the 6S) and you'll probably hit pegged values until your battery dies.

As most games are optimized for last generation phones at best, even after 25 runs at 1440p, the 8890 still performs basically as well as a cold S810. By the time games catch up to these SOCs, we'll be 2 gens ahead.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I run bionic on my phone, it get's a bit warm, but having 8 CPU's doing the processing, I am guessing that it's better than a qualcomm 4 CPU chip. I think it's great Samsun'g' is giving qualcomm some competition and push them to make faster chips. Without competition than, you get chip makers like Intel, that just sit around and relax because they are the best and no one is pushing them to do better so, they just keep making the same chipset that's maybe a bit more efficient but no faster and no more cores. So yeah, I don't really care about who is the best or the worst, just that technology keeps moving along at a faster clip, with new innovations. That being said, I love having 8 CPU's to play around with, granted, I also use ARM on a raspberry pi and you can dedicate processing power to any or all chips. I think it's quite cool...

Reactions: I hate you

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
What does "25 runs" even mean? If it means starting the game 25 times in a row, that's the stupidest test ever. Who would be doing this?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
What does "25 runs" even mean? If it means starting the game 25 times in a row, that's the stupidest test ever. Who would be doing this?

It's a good test of thermal throttling (if you run the tests back to back) and, to a lesser extent, memory usage. If you see significant degradation, that indicates that the phone won't perform as well as it could under significant stress. That's one of Apple's selling points: that it not only has the fastest chip (at least, before the Snapdragon 835 hits), but that it's consistently fast.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
It's a good test of thermal throttling (if you run the tests back to back) and, to a lesser extent, memory usage. If you see significant degradation, that indicates that the phone won't perform as well as it could under significant stress. That's one of Apple's selling points: that it not only has the fastest chip (at least, before the Snapdragon 835 hits), but that it's consistently fast.

But what is the point, when no one (opr very, very few people) will ever use their phone in such a way?
Similar test would be.. Hammering nails with your phone. Or battery test when using only flashlight. It's pointless.

Lodix

Jun 24, 2016
It is not opening the 25 game 25 times. It is running a graphic intense test of a set amount of time 25 times to see how much the performance degrades with time while stressing the phone under hard conditions. You might not do that in a real world use but you may use the phone in the hot summer or for long periods of time...

JustMe21

Sep 8, 2011
There are other things you can do that would tax your phone as well where thermal throttling can affect what you want to do with it. For instance, I run a dashcam app and Waze and with the sun beating down on my phone hanging in the windshield, it can easily overheat it.

As for front facing speakers, not everyone likes to use headphones all the time and most side speakers are hard for me to hear. I don't care to use Bluetooth headphones or speakers either because that drains your battery and that's yet another device I don't want to have to dedicate a plug to for recharging. Of course, even on laptops, speakers are usually overlooked in importance, but even then, good speakers help influence my decision on which laptop to buy.

Reactions: Lodix

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What's even more surprising is how many ignorant people out there go out of their way to get the exynos chipset instead of the snapdragon, for reasons like "Exynos have more cores!" even though more cores has zero effect on real performance.
I hate crapsung's exynos with a passion. I wish this line of chipsets would just die already.
I may be ignorant about gaming on my s7 but im not ignorant when it comes to battery life. How is the xperia's x performance performance in that test?

XPerformanceChart-24.jpg

imported_jjj

Feb 14, 2009
1- Resolutions are downscaled in these tests. Plus even if they weren't that would only affect peak score since. If you're maxing out the gpu usage then regardless of resolution the chip will draw the same amount of power and release the same amount of heat.

The test is performed on screen ,they give the score in frames so you can easily check.
At 1080p, the high end SoCs hit the 60FPS limit. SD820 scores about 90FPS at 1080p in T-Rex..
Testing for overheating with T-Rex is pointless at 1080p as it doesn't load the GPU anywhere close to max.

82145.png

Edit: Note how Xiaomi does with 1080p ,even if it never hits 60FPS,it's just lower load.

Last edited: