Question Is the Ryzen faster on scanning utilities and file transfer ?

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
Is the Ryzen 9 3900X faster than Intel core i9-10900K for McAfee, Spybot, AVG, Avast, MalwareBytes, Scandisk, Defragging, transferring files to external SSD and mechanical HD?

If I have multiple windows open and am browsing the net, and want to rub above programs at the same time, will I be better off with the Ryzen 3900X or XT than with the Core i9-10900k ?

Am I better off with the Ryzen over Intel for running 2 monitors ? When I run solidworks I would use 2 monitors.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
I was planning on getting the Ryzen 9 3900XT, which is the same price as the Core i9-10900K.
Since you're going to be using solidworks and gaming, I'd go with the 10900k, IF there's no price difference, or, the price difference is acceptable to you.

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
Since you're going to be using solidworks and gaming, I'd go with the 10900k, IF there's no price difference, or, the price difference is acceptable to you.
Would the Ryzen be more future proof than the Core i9 because the Ryzen 9 with an X570 mobo has PCIe 4?

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
Oh I forgot to mention, I do plan on making YouTube videos. But these are going to be simple videos, with no fancy production values. I will need to edit the videos of course.

I will also be using Photoshop and Illustrator.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Would the Ryzen be more future proof than the Core i9 because the Ryzen 9 with an X570 mobo has PCIe 4?
Both the x570 and Z490 have one more future upgrade before DDR5 forces a change of both platforms.
Oh I forgot to mention, I do plan on making YouTube videos. But these are going to be simple videos, with no fancy production values. I will need to edit the videos of course.

The 10900k is faster in both Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017

Well, according to GamersNexus, at stock speed the 3900X is a little faster in Photoshop than the 10900K. Both are basically indistinguishable performers though, nobody will notice a difference there.

Reactions: Drazick

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I wouldn't think that having higher sequential read/write speeds due to PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives would make much difference running AV software.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Both the x570 and Z490 have one more future upgrade before DDR5 forces a change of both platforms.

The 10900k is faster in both Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Here's a more detailed review on that:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Right, so I was wondering if PCIe 4 is a good enough reason to go with the Ryzen ?

Depends if you plan on using a existing or upcoming pcie4 ssd or how long you intend to keep your PC. If you rebuilt ever couple years it's probably not worth it but then neither are the 3900xt or 10900k. If you plan to keep it a while, it can be useful with faster GPUs or faster ssds becomign available in couple years.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is the Ryzen 9 3900X faster than Intel core i9-10900K for McAfee, Spybot, AVG, Avast, MalwareBytes, Scandisk, Defragging, transferring files to external SSD and mechanical HD?
Holy moly, how many antivirus/malware programs do you run? :oops:

If you went down to using only one of them, you likely would be fine with a CPU like the Ryzen 3600. ;)

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009

If instead of getting the 3900XT, you got the regular 3900 which seems to be available at a bit of a reduced price, then depending on what motherboard you get, you might save a decent amount of money going that way, with performance that would largely be indistinguishable from more expensive options.

Reactions: inf64

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
Holy moly, how many antivirus/malware programs do you run? :oops:

If you went down to using only one of them, you likely would be fine with a CPU like the Ryzen 3600. ;)
I run McAfee at the moment on my laptop and desktop, but had Avast on my previous desktop.

I also run Spybot , CrapCleaner on all computers. My desktop also had Malwarebytes and Advanced System Care. But I uninstalled Advanced System Care. Malwarebytes subscription has expired, so currently just McAfee on the desktop.

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
Depends if you plan on using a existing or upcoming pcie4 ssd or how long you intend to keep your PC. If you rebuilt ever couple years it's probably not worth it but then neither are the 3900xt or 10900k. If you plan to keep it a while, it can be useful with faster GPUs or faster ssds becomign available in couple years.
I will keep it for around 5 years. I was leaning towards AMD because the talk is that the upcoming Zen 3 CPU can use the same mobo as the Zen 2 mobos with PCIe 4.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Am I better off with the Ryzen over Intel for running 2 monitors ? When I run solidworks I would use 2 monitors.

If your two monitors are not large (>30" & 4k) - then I'd recommend saving money on your CPU and put it into the monitors instead.

You'll find the extra workspace makes you far more effective than any incremental performance improvement from your CPU.

If your doing substantial solidworks time, then maybe even consider a 3DConnexion spacemouse.

Nowerdays, user I/O is usually the slowest thing with computers. Even the basement mainstream is more than fast enough for 99% of interactive tasks.

Last edited:

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I run McAfee at the moment on my laptop and desktop, but had Avast on my previous desktop.

I also run Spybot , CrapCleaner on all computers. My desktop also had Malwarebytes and Advanced System Care. But I uninstalled Advanced System Care. Malwarebytes subscription has expired, so currently just McAfee on the desktop.
Microsoft's native antivirus is likely better than McAfee, and seems to use fewer resources. I know this isn't an AV thread but I can't help but comment that those malware/spyware/AV tools for a user outside of a corporate environment are simply outdated thinking, and if you're thinking of spending a bunch more money on a processor to enable you to run them in the background all the time, it may be worthwhile to reconsider whether you need those apps at all. Generally, Malwarebytes + Microsoft's free AV plus reasonable browser and router practices will get you just as much, if not more, protection, with less resource usage. In such a case, you may be able to save money and end up more secure with better performance overall.