Is the MSN Messenger network down for you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: elanarchist
What's up with Messenger? It's so unreliable - practically every week they shut down the servers for "maintanence" and there are long outages every now and then. AIM has always been rock solid.

Weekly maintinence for about 2 hours every Thursday night 11PM PST.

This is the longest outage I have ever seen...

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Works for me at school right now. Wierd thing, my College had all internet traffic stopped, only allowing internal College websites to load. So boring for my first couple of class....

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tetsuo
4 hours of downtime, I wonder if mydoom was the cause
I checked the discussion group at microsoft.com...it wasn't mydoom.c. There was a hardware failure that took out numerous services. Messenger service was not the only thing that was affected.

Tetsuo

Lifer
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Slugbait
Originally posted by: Tetsuo
4 hours of downtime, I wonder if mydoom was the cause
I checked the discussion group at microsoft.com...it wasn't mydoom.c. There was a hardware failure that took out numerous services. Messenger service was not the only thing that was affected.

That sucks...

edit: the hardware failure. Not that it they didn't get hit by mydoom

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, it happens. We think that just us "end-users" get hit by hardware failures, and we troubleshoot until we're blue in the face. But in a services environment, when a router goes fubar, a PSU dies, a critical mobo component fails or a cable just inexplicitly fries out, thousands or millions of people can be affected.

Usually, there's redundant backup contingencies. But in situations where the contingency relies on a critical area as well (for example, a power grid), even redundancy sometimes isn't enough.

The good thing is that MS was able to isolate the exact problem within hours, and then get the system repaired and back up again. You can bet a lot of people immediately dropped everything that they were doing at the time and focused on the problem. Beers were probably provided free after the situation was resolved...