Question Is the iPad Pro supposed to feel so unresponsive?

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I recently replaced my beloved but dead Note Pro 12.2 with a 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 but am not enjoying it as much as I hoped. Aside from the underwhelming display, it often takes 2 to 3 attempts for touch input to be recognized. Touch Accommodation and other accessibility features make no difference. I notice it's worse in some apps, Hulu especially. Is there a workaround for this?

Also, is there any way to transfer files without itunes sync crap? I can't wait until technology reaches the point where you can just connect a device to your PC via USB cable and easily and instantly transfer files.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
There is something wrong with the device if touch input isn't being immediately recognized. I recommend you reach out to Apple Support on the issue. They'll likely recommend you do a full system reset back to factory settings as one of the steps to take before they'll consider replacing it with a new device.

Yes, hook up an external storage device over USB-C, open the Files app, browse for your files and transfer them. You don't have full file system access like some apps on Android offer, and the rules are sometimes silly as to which apps expose a folder to access and which don't (for example, you can't import music directly into the Music app via Files or any other way.) As for using the iPad as a big thumb drive, there are 3rd party software solutions available if you absolutely will not install/run itunes for any reason*.

*You don't have to 'sync' with iTunes, you can just connect an iDevice over USB, and then navigate it's folders via iTunes.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
You might try doing a factory reset of the iPad Pro to see if that helps with the responsiveness. That's done by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

For file transfers, I usually just use a cloud drive like OneDrive or Google Drive or Dropbox. I've had terrible luck getting my iPad Pro to recognize USB-C storage, though in theory that should work too with compatible devices.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
You might try doing a factory reset of the iPad Pro to see if that helps with the responsiveness. That's done by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

For file transfers, I usually just use a cloud drive like OneDrive or Google Drive or Dropbox. I've had terrible luck getting my iPad Pro to recognize USB-C storage, though in theory that should work too with compatible devices.
It might depend on the file system on the external device? I almost always use exFAT for external drives unless something else is explicitly called for, and I haven't had any issues on my 2nd gen Pro (using a lightning>USB adapter)