Is the end of the filibuster near?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's on the front page of today's New York Times.

This link will get you past the paywall for the next 14 days, i.e. until Mar. 29, 2024:

The last line: “The handwriting is on the wall,” said Mr. Blumenthal (Democratic senator from Connecticut). “It’s history.”

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
fcPSfwK.gif

Dems are going to have a hard enough time keeping the majority without this issue scaring people that don't know any better.

Reactions: Zorba

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The road to getting rid of Trump and his cult is strewn with turds. How much do you think those two no votes well be worth now in the private sector.

SORRY dANK, I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF!

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
It's on the front page of today's New York Times.

The last line: “The handwriting is on the wall,” said Mr. Blumenthal (Democratic senator from Connecticut). “It’s history.”
Bluntly, if Trump wins and the republicans get 50+ seats in the Senate, yes, the filibuster will be gutted on day 1 by the Republicans. Otherwise it is likely to stick around for a bit longer.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Bluntly, if Trump wins and the republicans get 50+ seats in the Senate, yes, the filibuster will be gutted on day 1 by the Republicans. Otherwise it is likely to stick around for a bit longer.
The Republicans gain more by keeping it intact. They couldn't pass anything when they had full control under Trump. Dems didn't need to filibuster anything. If they get full control and if they are able to pass something that the Dems filibuster, they will get rid of it, but they would rather not. They'd probably carve out an exception for their specific bill(s) before nuking it completely.

Reactions: cytg111

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The Republicans gain more by keeping it intact. They couldn't pass anything when they had full control under Trump. Dems didn't need to filibuster anything. If they get full control and if they are able to pass something that the Dems filibuster, they will get rid of it, but they would rather not. They'd probably carve out an exception for their specific bill(s) before nuking it completely.
If they do it for reproductive and voting rights that’s enough for me.