Is the death of Atom really a Bad Thing? Talking about die sizes

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Is the death of Atom really a Bad Thing?

Hear me out

22nm / Silvermont / Bay Trail-T

14nm / Airmont / Cherry Trail-T

14nm / Goldmont / Apollo-Lake

14nm / Goldmont / Willow-Trail

So with 22nm we got the intel Atom z3740 and z3770 with the Baytrail-T Tablet platform based on the Silvermont CPU cores which were very good at their time. This was called the Tock.

Then with 14nm we got the die shrink of Silvermont called Airmont. These cpus were named Atom x5 8300, Atom x5 8350, Atom x5 8500, and Atom x7 8700, the platform was called Cherry Trail-T and the cpus in the Soc were based off the Airmont cpu architecture. This was called the Tick

With the 14nm Tock where you get a brand new cpu architecture and hopefully performance improvements, we called this cpu architecture Goldmont and so far no devices have been released but we should see them soon, in the next few months (OEMs started getting chips in April, Intel is planning for a real world launch in h2 of 2016 so up to the next 6 months but it can be as soon as next month. This 14nm tock was supposed to have two forms of atom

Willow-Trail meant for smaller tablets

Apollo-Lake meant for bigger tablets and convertibles.

Well Willow-Trail for tablets was canceled, the phone Soc which would be similar to Willow Trail but different was canceled, Apollo-Lake is still going to be launched. We still do not know how Apollo-Lake performs but it is doubtful it will be faster than the core m3 6Y30 which is a skylake cpu on 14nm aka Intel's big cpu on their currently best process.

Now besides the core m 6Y30 intel also released a cheaper sku which I have not seen in the real world wild yet called the intel Pentium 4405Y which is also a skylake soc and has a 6w tdp or a cTDP down for 4.5w. Intel Pentium 4405Y is a 1.5 Ghz Dual Core, no hyperthreading. It has 24 Gen 9 eus running at 300 - 800mhz with the pentium model but the core m3 runs at 1000mhz. Compare this in contrast to the 16 EUs Gen 8 @ 300 -600 mhz the atom x7 8700 runs at. So to put it mildly the Pentium 4405Y should easily kick the atom x7-8700 ass in everything from single threaded, to multithreaded, to graphics etc.

I have not seen the Pentium 4405Y benchmarked and I barely see it any devices with the Lenovo Yoga 710, 11" using it, as well as an upcomming HP Chromebook which will focus on the core M skylake cpus but keeps the Pentium skylake as a cheaper option.

Speculation, based on how the rest of skylake performs. If the Pentium 4405Y is in a device that does not throttle, based on the 1.5 Ghz dual core with no hyperthreading we should get roughly a 0.75 Cinebench 11.5 single thread and a 1.50 Cinebench 11.5 Multithread

Now lets talk one of the most important things that determines Intel's pricing besides the fear of cannibalization of sales. Die Size

Die Size

Intel never revealed the die size of Baytrail-T on launch date but they did eventually reveal it burried in one of their technical documents.

22nm Bay Trail-T has a die size of
9.723mm by 10.477mm which equals 101.87 mm^2

14nm Cherry Trail-T Intel once again did not release the die size numbers on launch date. But once again they did reveal these numbers in one of their technical documents.

14nm Cherry Trail-T has a die size of
8.50 mm by 8.40 mm which equals 71.20 mm^2

14nm Skylake-Y (aka core m and the pentium 4405y) Intel once again did not disclose die size. That said if you are willing to open a cpu you can use callipers to get the die size.

98.5mm^2 is the final die size of core m 14nm Skylake and the pentium 4405y

So with such a small die size does it really matter for us having a 71.20 mm^2 die or a 98.5mm^2 die?

A die that is under a 100mm^2 on a mature node is damn cheap to produce, it was cheaper than atom was at 22nm with similar yields. Since Intel is no longer going to try to compete in the damn cheap tablets like $99 with a class leading process, and Intel is not trying to compete in phones, do we really need Willow-Trail?

Now we are still going to get Apollo Lake, and it will probably have a die size between 71.20 mm^2 and 98.5 mm^2 but does intel really need two cpu design teams anymore if the die sizes are so close? Better to spend those engineers either working on the big core, or not hire them (Intel just recently did a large number of layoffs) and use that money to work on speeding up foundry development or just hand it back to share holders as dividends or buybacks.

Place where I got the die size numbers

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...sheets/atom-z36xxx-z37xxx-datasheet-vol-1.pdf Page 307, C1 and C2

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...nts/datasheets/atom-z8000-datasheet-vol-1.pdf Page 338, C1 and C2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9582/intel-skylake-mobile-desktop-launch-architecture-analysis core m is the Intel Skylake-Y 2+2 row @ 98.5 mm^2

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Now understand I still want newer and newer intel windows tablets as well as more competition in the android tablet space.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You have to remember that Atom includes the PCH ondie, whereas Core at this point is still onpackage on the U and Y models.

And 6 W is far too much for a tablet. You'd need a fan.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Cheap, fanless x86 netbook/tablets serve a few useful niches. A bedtime Office machine, simple programming, throwaway PC to take abroad, and even hacking to name a few. I like my RCA Cambio for the sort of tasks where I want a fanless device to type anywhere with, but cannot justify the price of a proper Core M fanless laptop. And an ARM machine is unsuitable due to incompatibility with even light desktop apps.

Should Atom go the way of the dodo, I do wonder what will fill that niche. AMD perhaps? VIA maybe, though I'm not certain if their chips are any faster than Atom.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Cheap, fanless x86 netbook/tablets serve a few useful niches. A bedtime Office machine, simple programming, throwaway PC to take abroad, and even hacking to name a few. I like my RCA Cambio for the sort of tasks where I want a fanless device to type anywhere with, but cannot justify the price of a proper Core M fanless laptop. And an ARM machine is unsuitable due to incompatibility with even light desktop apps.

Should Atom go the way of the dodo, I do wonder what will fill that niche. AMD perhaps?

ARM is has already really won the tablet wars - hence the reason Intel is backing out. @ 10nm, a Core M will probably be able to fill the space for relatively low power/high performance tablets Windows tablets.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
ARM is has already really won the tablet wars - hence the reason Intel is backing out. @ 10nm, a Core M will probably be able to fill the space for relatively low power/high performance tablets Windows tablets.
However, price will climb for said tablets. Core rarely comes cheap. Even low performance, x86 compatibility with VT-X is amazingly versatile. If Atom goes, that niche will most likely die out.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hey, as much as I think Atom is total crap for a desktop machine; for a smaller laptop or tablet, it has its uses.

I'm typing this on an Acer "CloudBook" AO1-131, that I picked up for ~$90. A complete working Win10 laptop, with a decent keyboard / touchpad / screen.

Tell me again how a Core-based system is going to be able to be this cheap, or offer 8-10 hour battery life on a 2-cell battery?

Quite frankly, I'll miss Atom. If only they could have kept the low-price and low-power attributes, and made it a little more "snappy" (better ST performance). I think that they could have had a winner.

Mar 10, 2006
Hey, as much as I think Atom is total crap for a desktop machine; for a smaller laptop or tablet, it has its uses.

I'm typing this on an Acer "CloudBook" AO1-131, that I picked up for ~$90. A complete working Win10 laptop, with a decent keyboard / touchpad / screen.

Tell me again how a Core-based system is going to be able to be this cheap, or offer 8-10 hour battery life on a 2-cell battery?

Quite frankly, I'll miss Atom. If only they could have kept the low-price and low-power attributes, and made it a little more "snappy" (better ST performance). I think that they could have had a winner.

You're still going to get Atom-core based processors for cheap laptops, desktops, and convertibles. Only smartphone Atom and iPad-like Atom will be gone.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013

Then tell ARM to enable sub $100 Windows x86 tablets so i can actually use them, instead of getting a big phone whiout builtin modem.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You're still going to get Atom-core based processors for cheap laptops, desktops, and convertibles. Only smartphone Atom and iPad-like Atom will be gone.

Will they? The impression that I am getting is that Goldmont is it, and anyone who was working on anything past that was laid off.

Edit: I am almost wondering if Intel would be able to make a "Core Mini" to take the space that Atom was trying to fill.

Last edited:

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
Then tell ARM to enable sub $100 Windows x86 tablets so i can actually use them, instead of getting a big phone whiout builtin modem

Why? ARM couldn't care less about minority users like you.
For consumption, Atom is superfluous and slow and for more serious work Atom is even more crap. There is only a very small niche in between, where an Atom could be considered somewhat useful. Intel does well with letting Atom die unless they have real competition for ARM. It's just that Goldmont does not cut it anymore from performance perspective.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Will they? The impression that I am getting is that Goldmont is it, and anyone who was working on anything past that was laid off.

Edit: I am almost wondering if Intel would be able to make a "Core Mini" to take the space that Atom was trying to fill.
A single-core Hyperthreaded Skylake Core with turbo exceeding 3.0 GHz sounds pretty good actually.

Mar 10, 2006

Nope, Atom CPU cores are still being developed. It's only the SoCs/platforms targeted at phones and iPad-like tablets that have been cancelled.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nope, Atom CPU cores are still being developed. It's only the SoCs/platforms targeted at phones and iPad-like tablets that have been cancelled.

So, no more $50-100 little mini 7" Atom Windows 8.1/10 tablets? I found those to be fairly useful too. (The Winbook TW701 in particular, with the native 1280x800 screen. The other cheap iView i700QW tablets that were converted Android tablets, with only a native resolution of 1024x600 with scaled video drivers, were crap by comparison.) And of course, the HP Stream 7, that glorious little $80 piece of kit.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

I'm not sure what the point is then, especially once Core becomes an SoC. Design costs at 10 nm have got to be crazy so I imagine they would just be better off going back to selling busted i3 parts or even just take Core itself and make a specific core optimized for density, screw everything else.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm not sure what the point is then, especially once Core becomes an SoC. Design costs at 10 nm have got to be crazy so I imagine they would just be better off going back to selling busted i3 parts or even just take Core itself and make a specific core optimized for density, screw everything else.

That makes sense to me. Intel will have libraries with low power/high xtor density & high(er) power/lower xtor density for SoCs and desktop/server CPUs respectively. That's still allot of work, but as nodes get more expensive and remain in production longer, a mixed density/mixed performance library all used to build cores and peripheral logic could be more cost effective than having a totally separate low power mobile group.

This is what happens when you (Intel) is 3-5 years late to the party.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So, no more $50-100 little mini 7" Atom Windows 8.1/10 tablets? I found those to be fairly useful too. (The Winbook TW701 in particular, with the native 1280x800 screen. The other cheap iView i700QW tablets that were converted Android tablets, with only a native resolution of 1024x600 with scaled video drivers, were crap by comparison.) And of course, the HP Stream 7, that glorious little $80 piece of kit.

No those are all crap. 1 GiB of RAM and 32GiB eMMC is not enough. I have an HP Stream 7. It sucks. The phrase "you get what you pay for" definitely applies to these things.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
No those are all crap. 1 GiB of RAM and 32GiB eMMC is not enough. I have an HP Stream 7. It sucks. The phrase "you get what you pay for" definitely applies to these things.
That RAM is probably the weak spot there. 2 GB would probably be a significantly better experience. The Stream cheaped out in the wrong spot.

My own device has 2 GB of RAM and a Bay Trail, and is perfectly reasonable for anything not related to 3D or video rendering. The BiWin eMMC is a definite weak point (that 70 MB/s Read, ugh), though is still vastly more responsive than any pure HDD desktops I've used.

While I could have an i3 laptop for not much more, I lose out on battery life, weight, and the fanless aspect (for using on the bed without heat issues). If I require anything more than typing, browsing, or very light games (or In-Home streaming), I have my desktop to take those tasks on.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

Virtual Larry: It's useful!
jhu: It's useless!

Conclusion? Merely difference of opinion.

Regardless its unlikely you'll see such cheap Tablets. Apollo Lake, also won't be as compact, or power efficient, in the traditional Tablet space. There are always those that tries to go against the tide, but that's a few.

Intel does have a legitmate reason to continue developing Atom cores. That's for Xeon Phi. You can't have a full core with that many vectors units in a competitive power envelope in a reasonable die size with Core chips. Never. Of course you can't ignore "Netbook 2.0", which is what Apollo Lake is for.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
AFAIK Atom is still being developed, for mini PC's and desktop PC's (yes desktop, people actually buy Atom desktops).

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel does have a legitmate reason to continue developing Atom cores. That's for Xeon Phi.

I thought about that, but I imagine they would either not do much to the CPU part beyond shrinking it or optimize the core more toward parallel compute rather than something that would be useful as a cheap CPU.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
AMD's phasing out small cores, and replacing them with big cores- Stoney Ridge is a one-module, single channel part. Basically the equivalent of a single Intel core with hyperthreading.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Why is intel actually leaving the phone space? Are they unofficially admitting the failed to port their modem to their own process? Personally I would see pretty big value and big market in business use: Win10 x86 phones for managers. The new blackberry.

Managers mostly don't need powerful PC/laptop. What they do is communicate by phone, email, instant messaging, online meetings all a smartphone can do already today. All you need is the correct software/OS that can switch between phone/desktop use. Sounds pretty much like win10. With atom dead that pretty much means any hypothetical MS surface phone is not x86.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Why is intel actually leaving the phone space? Are they unofficially admitting the failed to port their modem to their own process? Personally I would see pretty big value and big market in business use: Win10 x86 phones for managers. The new blackberry.

Managers mostly don't need powerful PC/laptop. What they do is communicate by phone, email, instant messaging, online meetings all a smartphone can do already today. All you need is the correct software/OS that can switch between phone/desktop use. Sounds pretty much like win10. With atom dead that pretty much means any hypothetical MS surface phone is not x86.

Windows 10 phone is deader than dead. There is a twit.tv show (this week in tech tv series and podcast) called Windows Weekly and when the hosts have switched to android devices (one of them got a nexus a few months ago, the other has been on android for years) and they are saying its deader than dead than it's deader than dead.

Now you may see a virtualized Windows experience in the cloud where the android phone is going to be connected to microsoft serves, running Microsoft Azure apis, and your windows 10 is virtualized and you pay a monthly fee, or your company buys server time.

Oh Microsoft is already doing this It is called Azure RemoteApp, it is available for apple iphone, apple macs, android, and windows phone

https://www.remoteapp.windowsazure.com/en/

Last edited: