Is studying 2 martial arts at once good for you?

iLoveDivX

Banned
Apr 2, 2001
I just started learning Karate for about 6 months. Everything is going fine but now another instructor from a different place wants me to learn Jujitsu with him. My Karate teacher thinks it's not good for a beginner in martial arts to learn two things at once. He wants me to get good in Karate first, then move on to whatever. The Jujitsu guy on the other hand says these two martial arts are completely different and won't clash in the learning process. Anyone have any opinion on this?

AaronP

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
you wanna be good at one kind of skill, or sucky at both. I would do one or the other. that doesn't mean you cant quit karate and go to jujitsu though, those 6 months won't be wasted.

AaronP

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
btw, I know NOTHING about martial arts, except that Chuck Norris in his prime could beat the hell out of Bruce Lee in his prime. In fact, I believe Norris beat lee at some world martial arts contests or something.

May 16, 2000
On the Norris/Lee issue: Chuck Norris is one of the greatest fighters of all time, there is no doubt. He is the only person in the western hemisphere to hold an 8th degree black belt in tae kwon do, awarded in Korea to him. He was 6 time world middlewieght champion, undefeated. He never 'fought' bruce lee. He trained with him, and was in Return of the Dragon with him at Bruces request. When asked what bruce was like he said

'Very, very, VERY fast. He was also as strong as I was, even though he was 25 lbs lighter. He learned everything, used what he thought best, and made it his own. When I first met him Bruce never kicked above the waist, he didn't see the point in it. After working out with him and discussing it with him he began to include high kicks, and within a few months he was as proficient in high kicks as anybody in the world. He was really one of a kind.'

I think it's safe to say that if they ever had fought, it would have been epic. It definately would NOT have been a one sided ass-kicking though. :cool:

On the matter of training in multiple arts: Bruce Lee is probably the best study of this. His 'Jeet Kune Do' was an amalgomation of ALL fighting styles in the world. However he didn't just pick up a little here, and a little there. He studied an art in depth, intricately...coming to understand it fully, before moving on to the next art.

It also depends why you're taking them. Tournament fighting, self defense, fitness, spirituality? There are good reasons to take more than one, and good reasons to stay focused.

Jujitsu and Karate are definately different styles, so there's not likely to be 'conflict' as such...especially if we're talking about a small circle jujitsu or aikido derivitive. However, the arts have a different general 'feel' to them, so it might be difficult to switch modes, which can throw off your timing and execution.

My personal suggestion, having taken classes at 7 (I think) different schools in my life, is to decide what you want, and why. Then decide which art most closely fits that desire. Learn that for a minimum of 2-3 years, as long as the school is good. After that you should be comfortable enough to begin branching out and adapting other styles.

Technics1200

Banned
Jul 18, 2001
DITCH the Karate, and go with the Jiujitsu, please. I took Karate for about two years straight, and it honestly doesn't work in the real world when defending yourself. Jiujitsu on the other hand... just take a look at UFC fighters, or any MMA fighters. Most of them consist of some kind of Jiujitsu. Jiujitsu is very effective, and powerful. Especially in the real world. Also boxing, and kick boxing (muay thai) is also good effective martial arts.

iLoveDivX

Banned
Apr 2, 2001
Technics1200: I agree with you completely. But the thing is that I still wanna go on with Karate simply because it's good for conditioning and also develop different kicks/punches which might not be used often in the streets, but still handy if i ever need them. I want to do both karate and jujitsu with some muay thai on the side. My question is if it's fine to do them both at the same time, especially when i only started karate not so long ago. According to princeofwands, it's not okay. Does everyone agree with him?

Technics1200

Banned
Jul 18, 2001
Yeah that's fine. Learn Jiujitsu, that's all I can stress.

Don't focus all your time on Karate, it doesn't work, I'm so serious.

In those competitions with Karate you hit once and you get a point. You can't even use one of those stupid blocks! Jiujitsu, like I said again, watch the UFC. It's excellent. You could kick someones ass with that kinda crap (not saying to learn it and kick someones ass) but you know what I mean.

If you guys read up on Sean O'Haire, he recently went to a MMA contest and he was kicked out for starting a brawl in the stands. One of the MMA fighters on the card which was about 50lbs lighter then him put Sean O'Haire into a choke hold and made him leave. That's how effective Jiujitsu is.

May 16, 2000
There's nothing necessarily wrong with Karate, depending on the type and the school, and the instructor. Some of the styles are very 'real world' oriented, while others are all about fitness or tournaments. It's all about the research.

As for Jujitsu it is a very powerful art. If you're only in it for self defense I'd say Krav Maga, but you won't find a school in the US, not a real one anyway. The Gracies Jujitsu style is one of the most effective in the world. Aikido can be devastating as well.

I personally shun the hard-hard arts generally. I'm a soft style fighter, and also in my philosophy.

If you really feel that you don't agree with the karate school you're in, then get out now before you invest in it. Take the Jujitsu as your base and then find a GOOD karate school later to pick up what you're missing. It's not about which one you learn first, it's about learning your first as well as you can.

iLoveDivX

Banned
Apr 2, 2001

<< Yeah that's fine. Learn Jiujitsu, that's all I can stress. >>

Yeah it's fine to learn two martial arts at once or yeah it's fine to be proficient in karate first, then learn jujitsu?

Like I said, i agree with the usefulness of jiujitsu. I just watched an ultimate championship match tonight on pay per view (the match with Tito defeding for his light heavyweight belt in it) and I see how much wrestling is involved in stuff like that.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
I don't think there's anything wrong with taking two at once. I took jujitsu and muay thai, but that wasn't at the same time for me. It shouldn't matter IMHO, as long as you don't get confused in the middle of a spar or something.

I agree w/ everyone else, jujitsu kicks ass. but muay thai is more fun IMO.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
The problem with the Eastern style of martial arts is that they're usually only effective when you have a large amount of open space and you can stay away from your opponent.. One you both hit the floor, it's American-style wrestling, baby!

I think it'd probby be better to stretch every night and workout than to spend the time training in martial arts.. but then I could be wrong.

RadMan

Dec 24, 1999
While I haven't got much formal training, I have been a casual student of the martial arts for several years now. In my humble opinion, may I have to concur with PrinceofWands.

When Bruce Lee would take on private students, he generally liked them to have had a few years training first. This presented a baseline to compare upon. It also helped coalesce future training clearly in your minds. Feel is very important in anything physical that you do.

As a flight instructor I have seen students that train on many different aircraft before getting their licence and generally they take longer to develop the required skills.

This is my viewpoint based on my experiences as a teacher and casual martial artist.

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Pick one, learn that well first, mixing martial arts is good when you have a good foundation. If you don't have something to build on you will only confuse yourself. Standard issue term of "karate" means many different things depending on the school, I wouldn't relate it all to TKD or something that generally isn't very practical.

I've learned more than one art at a time, but again I had done other arts for years before that, I've also seen students try to do what you are doing, no backround in anything and try to take up a few at once, all they did was develop crappy foundations, confuse the heck out of themselves and never really learned the higher end teachings of either arts.

Lastly consider the source of where you are hearing things from, your karate teacher says don't do it, granted he's looking out for himself cause it's his school but he knows you will still be with him, the jujitsu teacher on the other hand might be trying to gain a new student and income stream so might just be telling you its ok just so he can get you in the door.

RgrPark

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2000
I have an extensive martial arts background and i can tell you, ditch karate unless you wanna be a movie star.
Take the time to learn Jujitsu, as it is one of the most effective system of fighting besides the fact that everything you'll learn will be useful whereas with karate, you can waste a whole year learning stupid katas and not learn anything about fighting. Trust me, you spend a month learning jujitsu and you'll have NO problem making a 5yr karate veteran tap for his life. However, jujitsu will only be effective if you can skillfully get yourself within the grappling...to do that, you need to get yourself past the kicking and punching (i'll ignore the trapping ranger since i have yet to see a trapper do his stuff against a good boxer)ranges... I suggest you learn how to box since it's highly effective and teamed up with jujitsu, you'll be an excellent all around fighter. To protect yourself against an expert kicker (there are not many) just train up a bit on how to block kicks effectively and how to close the gap. When you're an expert box/grappler, you own the world... once you're good at both (train a year and you'll be better than 99% of the population) you can try learning some muay thai style kicks to add yo your arsenal...hope this helps.

P.S. If you're gonna wait until you're proficient at karate, you're waiting until you're proficient at nothing.

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< I have an extensive martial arts background and i can tell you, ditch karate unless you wanna be a movie star.
Take the time to learn Jujitsu, as it is one of the most effective system of fighting besides the fact that everything you'll learn will be useful whereas with karate, you can waste a whole year learning stupid katas and not learn anything about fighting. Trust me, you spend a month learning jujitsu and you'll have NO problem making a 5yr karate veteran tap for his life. However, jujitsu will only be effective if you can skillfully get yourself within the grappling...to do that, you need to get yourself past the kicking and punching (i'll ignore the trapping ranger since i have yet to see a trapper do his stuff against a good boxer)ranges... I suggest you learn how to box since it's highly effective and teamed up with jujitsu, you'll be an excellent all around fighter. To protect yourself against an expert kicker (there are not many) just train up a bit on how to block kicks effectively and how to close the gap. When you're an expert box/grappler, you own the world... once you're good at both (train a year and you'll be better than 99% of the population) you can try learning some muay thai style kicks to add yo your arsenal...hope this helps.

P.S. If you're gonna wait until you're proficient at karate, you're waiting until you're proficient at nothing.
>>

Don't you think that's a wee bit general in reference to karate? Don't judge the style, just the school and the teacher, I've seen more jujitsu people that sucks badly. Why? Cause people thought it was popular cause of the ufc and schools popped up. I've seen some very good jujitsu people, I've also seen very good people from just about every other art.

If a 5 year karate student of any quality gets taken right down and submits to a 1 month jujitsu student I'd just say they sucked, I wouldn't say karate is useless.

Jejunum

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
He is the only person in the western hemisphere to hold an 8th degree black belt in tae kwon do, awarded in Korea to him.

uhh no; there are in fact atleast two (true they are korean in origin) Grandmaster Ahn and his brother are 8th and 9th degree black belt's respectively...

jobberd

Banned
Mar 30, 2001
Cross training is almots always a good idea as long as you know what you're doing. Go to any martial arts forum and you'll see that training under more then one martial arts is very beneficial. However, your karate instructor is right. Get the fundamentals down first before you move on into another style. Check out this forum to learn more.