Is stock Android music player broken?

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Not sure what OS I'm running, but I've got the Galaxy S6. Lately the stock "Music" app that comes stock has been giving me all sorts of fits when streaming via Bluetooth. On any given day it just doesn't work, and sputters music in and out randomly. Only fix is to restart, but it's happening more and more. First it was one time... then it happened 3-4 weeks later... then 2 weeks later... then a week after that. I'm concerned it will happen every other day, or permanently brick the app.

1) How can I fix it? I like the interface; it's simple and easy to use
2) If I want to use a 3rd party app (not Google music), what are some good ones that are free?

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
It really sounds like an issue with Bluetooth rather than the music app (though I wouldn't rule out the music app.). Some simple things you can try: Try a different app like Google Play Music, rebooting the phone if you haven't, making sure it's up to date, try a different BT device.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I did. I used youtube and made phone calls from the phone, 100% fine, no issues. It's the app or something within the phone itself.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
My first android phone, original moto droid, had constant static when playing music via bluetooth while wi-fi was on. Turning off wifi fixed the problem.

Haven't had a problem in ages, seems most recent phones work fine with bluetooth and wifi at the same time, but it might be worth trying.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
What about the headset/speakers you are streaming to? They can degrade in quality as well. You just have to troubleshoot one at a time via a process of elimination, I am afraid. And check out different music apps as tsupersonic suggested. It is possible the OS is treating audio transmission from music apps from video/phone apps. Try out multiple music apps using local music files and see if any of them gets along well with the phone.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i nave no issues with google music and BT

but PowerAmp is prob the best music player on android if you don't need the ability to tie into the google music cloud

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
What about the headset/speakers you are streaming to? They can degrade in quality as well. You just have to troubleshoot one at a time via a process of elimination, I am afraid. And check out different music apps as tsupersonic suggested. It is possible the OS is treating audio transmission from music apps from video/phone apps. Try out multiple music apps using local music files and see if any of them gets along well with the phone.
Speakers are high quality, and are only 8-9 months old. Plus, the radio function works just fine.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I doubt very much it's the stock Android music player that's on the phone.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I despise the stock music player of every phone. As far as I'm concerned, since they don't allow for manually selecting music folders, they're all fundamentally broken. The only music payer I use is PowerAMP.