Is Stanley a good brand for tools?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I just bought this ratchet set from Amazon for $50 ($9 off $45 dollar or more on Stanley tools) and am just wondering if Stanley is a good brand or not. I kind of like the blacked out look, and easy to read lettering, which made me get this one over others.

I probably would have gone with Craftsman, but I hear they are made from China now, and the Snap-On are kind of on the expensive side for someone like me who'll use it a few times a year.

So, did I get robbed? :\

probably not bad tools but you did pay extra for the fancy finish, which does nothing for the quality of the tool. it does look pretty cool though.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
As others have mentioned they should work quite well especially if you use them for the intended purposes

The ratchet isn't a breaker bar and as long as you don't put a 3 ft cheater pipe on it you should be fine

Don't try to use those Stanley sockets with an impact wrench unless you want them to blow up in your face. That's a bit concerning to me since they look just like "Impact grade" sockets which are typically black finish. But again won't be a problem for typical uses and actually looks like a pretty good deal

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
It amazes me how there is always some asshole on here who insists that anything less than a top of the line brand is considered 'bottom of the barrel'.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if Stanley were made in the same factory as Mac tools, seeing as how 90% of the crap that Mac sells now days is China or Taiwan. Same with Matco. I haven't seen a Cornwell truck in about 2-3 years.

Kobalt is probably the best of the big name consumer grade stuff. But there are plenty of better + low cost alternatives like Lisle (who still make tons of stuff in America).

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Yeah, Kobalt is pretty good. I bought a socket set that was on sale from them a few years ago and I was really impressed. I still use my Craftsman ratchet because I think it has a better grip and feel but the quality seems comparable.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
6jq1oh.png

JQB7kh.jpg

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Yeah, Kobalt is pretty good. I bought a socket set that was on sale from them a few years ago and I was really impressed. I still use my Craftsman ratchet because I think it has a better grip and feel but the quality seems comparable.

My Kobalt ratchet that came in a socket set about 9 years ago (back when they were made by Snap-On) still works beautifully and I have used it often. It's my main go to 3/8 ratchet when working on our cars. I've even slipped a 5" pipe over it as a breaker bar.

Stanley is pretty alright. Lisle mentioned above is a good choice as well. The main brand I go to if I need something off Amazon is TEKTON. Hasn't let me down yet and the price is right. Though, I'm not particularly brand loyal. I have everything in my garage, price range wise. From several Snap-On specialty tools all the way down to Harbor Freight. If it works, I'm fine with it. You have to know what is good in a certain brand and what isn't. For example, at Harbor Freight I typically won't buy their basic hand tools (box end wrenches, screw drivers, etc). I do have some pry bars from there, impact sockets, a jack, jack stands, cherry picker, a couple decent sized air compressors, and engine stands. None of them have let me down in the slightest.

My toolbox at work is full of mostly Snap-On though. If you're doing professional mechanic work like I do, Snap-On is the only way to go. It'll last forever.

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
Stanley (Not their Mac Division), unlike most are made in America and can be advertised such. 2006 they got fined a couple $100,000 for advertising their MAC tool ratchets as Made in America which they were but with 'substantial' foreign materials; they haven't been challenged again for false advertising.

Stanley tools sold in good hardware stores have always been as good or better than most limited lifetime warranty tools including Craftsman. Snap-on and some of their Blue Point line are far better but I don't think for the home you can do better for the price.

Sorry but I have lot's of tools from adjustable jaw wrenches made by Crescent Tool company in the 1920s to my go to Baja set of Snap-on tools I could completely dismantle and put back together a Husqvarna Motorcycle. Stanley aren't the best but they are heck of lot better than most and IMHO Harbor freight aren't tools.

I checked Walmart before posting , their regular chrome, not black chrome 66 piece set is on sale but nowhere near $9.95 band . While also made in America they do not come with a lifetime warranty. You might check Walmart; they have really good prices and if you order $50.00 they will ship them to your house free, not like Amazon

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Awesome hand WOODWORKING tools for the most part, but like anything tools, you have to know what you are looking for. There is no "best" tool maker, nor is there even any "best of class" tool maker. There is always some specialty maker out there that makes the best something, but never the best everything.

As others have said, the rachet set is probably OK and fine for your needs.

Okay, sorry; I'll stick to topics I know nothing about, and act like a total douche, per ATOT rules.

I thought that's why you replied here?

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I believe Stanley has been around for years! Although I buy Craftsman.

You know who makes the best tools? Harbor Freight ! LMAO!

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Stanley has been around a long time and AFAIK is a very reputable maker of tools. I imagine for a ratchet set you'll be fine. I have one of the cheapest ratchet sets you might ever set eyes on, have had it for over 30 years and it still works. I do have some really good ratchets and sockets that I found here and there, they are a little smoother to use but I use the cheap shit at times, never have a problem including broken ratchets or sockets. Don't sweat it.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I would be interested to know how the socket set worked out to this point. It's still available for under $60 and I gotta admit that it is pretty sharp looking. They seem to be rated pretty well from, what I assume, would be average homeowners.

I work at an auto dealership with weekly visits from the Matco, Snap-On and Cornwell trucks and I visit with the mechanics regularly (I think MatCo makes up about 60% of their purchases). I just don't use tools enough to pay that kind of $$$ so I end up with a mix of Craftsman, Kobalt and Stanley. I do purchase the cheap Chicago Brand (Harbor Freight) for tools that I will only use once or twice a year or less. I was really surprised that so many of you ranked Stanley up there with Craftsman or Kobalt. I don't think I've ever had a Kobalt tool fail.

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
I was really surprised that so many of you ranked Stanley up there with Craftsman or Kobalt. I don't think I've ever had a Kobalt tool fail.

Stanley makes different qualities of tools; the ones that I rank with Craftsman are their lifetime warranty tools and I've got 50 year old Craftsman tools but they are better steal, stronger and thinner than today's Craftsman Tools. Sears has really cheapened their brand; besides I try to by American when I can.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Stanley makes different qualities of tools; the ones that I rank with Craftsman are their lifetime warranty tools and I've got 50 year old Craftsman tools but they are better steal, stronger and thinner than today's Craftsman Tools. Sears has really cheapened their brand; besides I try to by American when I can.

steel

buy

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
craftsman is shit nowadays, but they still want to charge their pre-china prices. if i'm buying made in china, it better be cheap. HF has the same return policy.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I would be interested to know how the socket set worked out to this point. It's still available for under $60 and I gotta admit that it is pretty sharp looking. They seem to be rated pretty well from, what I assume, would be average homeowners.

I work at an auto dealership with weekly visits from the Matco, Snap-On and Cornwell trucks and I visit with the mechanics regularly (I think MatCo makes up about 60% of their purchases). I just don't use tools enough to pay that kind of $$$ so I end up with a mix of Craftsman, Kobalt and Stanley. I do purchase the cheap Chicago Brand (Harbor Freight) for tools that I will only use once or twice a year or less. I was really surprised that so many of you ranked Stanley up there with Craftsman or Kobalt. I don't think I've ever had a Kobalt tool fail.

Buy used. Pawn shops and flea markets are great places to buy tools. Won't work if you need something *now*, but you can slowly build up a good collection. Of course, if you're a woman, and require a matched set, with flawless shiny chrome, it's harder to do, but if you want to do work, used is the economical, and environmental choice.

kombivan

Dec 22, 2015
I purchased a set of open ended spanners stanley thinking they would be good quality well they open up when you need to apply pressure so they are not so great. So what are their socket sets like are they any better or do they split and crack with he poor quality chinese steel I am assuming they are made in china. Its rather funny 35 years ago I purchased a 3/4 drive socket set labeled china and I had my doubts back then but they were the strongest 3/4 drive set I ever used I was in earthmoving and building back then. So what are these stanley like any good or rubish like the open enders? Good quality tools are always best even for amatures as one striped head on a bolt can cost you more than a good set of tools if your unlucky. Anybody know a good brand what is sidchrome like these days cresent and forged were good brands years ago.
i usually buy s/h because if they last there good but i want some new sets for traveling so any info will be appreciated.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I just bought this ratchet set from Amazon for $50 ($9 off $45 dollar or more on Stanley tools) and am just wondering if Stanley is a good brand or not. I kind of like the blacked out look, and easy to read lettering, which made me get this one over others.

I probably would have gone with Craftsman, but I hear they are made from China now, and the Snap-On are kind of on the expensive side for someone like me who'll use it a few times a year.

So, did I get robbed? :\

Holy necro thread.

I have the same set, only bitch is I'll never buy another black tool cuz they're a bitch to find in the dark.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Know what pissis me off? Well known historic companies that put their their name on vaguely related Chinese shit. Irwin, maker of forged tools, and... lumber crayons. Milwaukee? Of course a maker of electric tools is competent to make power tapes! Then there's the completely unrelated. Caterpillar boots, Smith and Wesson knives... That's not getting into the drop in quality of their core products when they move production *overseas

*Code for a country that doesn't even have decent basic infrastructure. 'Overseas' is never Germany or Switzerland... :^S
"Overseas" - haha, pretty much
Caterpillar has a whole line of shoes designed for the working man.
Smith and Wesson sold naming rights to a Chinese company and thus S&W knives have basically nothing to do with the gun maker. Not sure that they even have input. Actually the whole S&W company was sold to overseas buyer but some American bought them back.
Schrade kicked the bucket some decades ago and is now just a Chinese company trading on an American reputation.
Ka-Bar is still American made.

Can't really comment on tool brands ...