Is Sempron 2650 better than Atom N450?

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Hi,
I am on a project and I am asking if the Sempron 2650 is better than the Atom N450 considering that I am using:
- MB ECS KAM1-I
- Memory RAM 2 GB DDR3 Kingston - Bus 1333 Mhz
- And I have HDD and the Power Supply
The project is simple: I need to emulate a machine who uses 5 serial ports, runs Windows XP 32 bits, needs to use Mini ITX and needs low power...

The machine I am replacing has a faulty Atom N450 who is not working properly and reboots constantly.. and the other boards from Intel or AMD can't fulfill the most important feature: it needs 5 serial ports. The only config I found what the mentioned above, and despite the MoBo has 4 serial ports, it can be easily solved adding an USB adapter.

The problem here is the processor... I have at max a 100 US$ budget. And at least 50 are going to the Mobo and the RAM.... So the Athlon 5350 is out of question... the question is... how good is the Sempron 2650 compared to the Atom N450? Or is better to go up to the Athlon 5150?

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I'd say the 2650 is close to 2x the speed of a N450, but I'm going based on top of my head here.(guessing)

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hi,
I am on a project and I am asking if the Sempron 2650 is better than the Atom N450 considering that I am using:
- MB ECS KAM1-I
- Memory RAM 2 GB DDR3 Kingston - Bus 1333 Mhz
- And I have HDD and the Power Supply
The project is simple: I need to emulate a machine who uses 5 serial ports, runs Windows XP 32 bits, needs to use Mini ITX and needs low power...

The machine I am replacing has a faulty Atom N450 who is not working properly and reboots constantly.. and the other boards from Intel or AMD can't fulfill the most important feature: it needs 5 serial ports. The only config I found what the mentioned above, and despite the MoBo has 4 serial ports, it can be easily solved adding an USB adapter.

The problem here is the processor... I have at max a 100 US$ budget. And at least 50 are going to the Mobo and the RAM.... So the Athlon 5350 is out of question... the question is... how good is the Sempron 2650 compared to the Atom N450? Or is better to go up to the Athlon 5150?

Kabini vs. Bonnell. The choice is clear: Sempron 2650 is significantly faster than the N450 even though the Atom N450 is clocked slightly higher. All of those old Bonnell Atoms need to die in a fire.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
And by how much is that Sempron faster than the Atom? It is a big upgrade?

More than 100% higher IPC.. That link has Bobcat and Bonnell performance. Jaguar has higher IPC than Bobcat, and Bobcat already has about 100% higher IPC than Bonnell.

ie, 1.4 GHz dual core Kabini is going to be > 4x faster than a 1.6 GHz single core Bonnell, especially on multithreaded loads.

Last edited:

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Now I have a question... there are drivers for Windows XP for that motherboard? I was finding on the ECS site and I didn't found any... and I found the AMD all in one Driver.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Now I have a question... there are drivers for Windows XP for that motherboard?
Very definitely not. AMD hasn't "supported" Windows XP since like 2012, with any of their newer hardware. BTW, the problems you describe in the OP have very close to a zero percent chance of being CPU problems. You almost certainly have a problem with one of these 3 pieces of your current hardware: system RAM, power supply, or motherboard.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Very definitely not. AMD hasn't "supported" Windows XP since like 2012, with any of their newer hardware. BTW, the problems you describe in the OP have very close to a zero percent chance of being CPU problems. You almost certainly have a problem with one of these 3 pieces of your current hardware: system RAM, power supply, or motherboard.
I know that Intel dropped support on XP and even 7 on Bay Trail, but AMD too?
Ok... so finding a solution who has more than 4 serial ports is very hard now.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
I know that Intel dropped support on XP and even 7 on Bay Trail, but AMD too?
Ok... so finding a solution who has more than 4 serial ports is very hard now.

What in the world does any of this have to do with you not needing a CPU, and very, very likely also not needing a motherboard?

Last edited: