is Russia getting set to drop the dollar and euro?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Quoted for the lulz.

The only thing the sanctions are doing is pushing Russia and China closer together.

The Russian people should feel so lucky to be tied to the Chinese govt for their economic benefit. I'm sure the Russian people will be happy when that Chinese housing bubble finally pops.

Russia must be seeing a noticeable destruction of their currency if they believe they need to buy up gold to maintain their wealth. Somebody needs to tell Putin this isn't the 1930s. They participate in a world economy. And the peasants like to have more than a govt mandated house and food ration.

The recent ban of imported chicken is a great example of cutting off their nose to spite their face. A country that was seeing 2-4% rise in chicken prices per week is going to inflate that further by banning imports? lol

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Money, that is the key issue. When you deal with people who are used to having almost nothing, you have nothing to bargain with.

War on the eastern front by James Lucas describes what the Russian people are willing to go through during times of hardship. I read that book, part of it is horrifying. Such as Russian soldiers pushing their guts back into their stomach while never crying out in pain, the sacrifices, the horror, the personal sacrifice,,.

If Russia could withstand the full unbridled wraith of the Nazis, what makes you thinks sanctions are going to have any affect?

It is comical that anyone would think a proud people such as the Russians are going to bat an eye over sanctions.

You realize it is 2014 and not 1944? The russian people have moved forward and so has their economy. Hard to put the genie back in the bottle for ole Putin.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Money, that is the key issue. When you deal with people who are used to having almost nothing, you have nothing to bargain with.

War on the eastern front by James Lucas describes what the Russian people are willing to go through during times of hardship. I read that book, part of it is horrifying. Such as Russian soldiers pushing their guts back into their stomach while never crying out in pain, the sacrifices, the horror, the personal sacrifice,,.

If Russia could withstand the full unbridled wraith of the Nazis, what makes you thinks sanctions are going to have any affect?

It is comical that anyone would think a proud people such as the Russians are going to bat an eye over sanctions.

They are welcome to do whatever they want. Damaging Russia's economy also makes it more difficult for them to have the means to attack their neighbors in the future.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The Russian people should feel so lucky to be tied to the Chinese govt for their economic benefit. I'm sure the Russian people will be happy when that Chinese housing bubble finally pops.

Russia must be seeing a noticeable destruction of their currency if they believe they need to buy up gold to maintain their wealth. Somebody needs to tell Putin this isn't the 1930s. They participate in a world economy. And the peasants like to have more than a govt mandated house and food ration.

The recent ban of imported chicken is a great example of cutting off their nose to spite their face. A country that was seeing 2-4% rise in chicken prices per week is going to inflate that further by banning imports? lol

This is happening also:

http://englishrussia.com/2014/08/11/some-empty-shelves/

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Looks like all is going well comrade for the most glorious Putin run economy.

I feel that people such as Texashiker are so consumed by their hatred of Obama that they find themselves rooting against America. Some liberals were the same way with Iraq. It's baffling to me that people are so invested in seeing their political enemies damaged that they want bad things to happen to their own country.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
They are welcome to do whatever they want. Damaging Russia's economy also makes it more difficult for them to have the means to attack their neighbors in the future.

You just do not understand do you?

Russia did not attack a neighbor. Russia was fighting back against American imperialism.

Sanctions just reinforce the idea that the US is trying to weaken Russia.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You just do not understand do you?

Russia did not attack a neighbor. Russia was fighting back against American imperialism.

Sanctions just reinforce the idea that the US is trying to weaken Russia.

Today I learned that invading, occupying, and annexing a large portion of an adjacent country is not attacking your neighbor.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Today I learned that invading, occupying, and annexing a large portion of an adjacent country is not attacking your neighbor.

We have no room to talk.

If what Russia did to Crimea was wrong and deserved sanctions, what about what we did to Iraq?

Sanctions against Russia will pull us back into another cold war. obama is doing nothing to defuse the situation with Russia.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We have no room to talk.

If what Russia did to Crimea was wrong and deserved sanctions, what about what we did to Iraq?

Oh look, the old "two wrongs make a right" argument comes out again. How many times have you guys tried to use this same pathetic excuse?

Sanctions against Russia will pull us back into another cold war. obama is doing nothing to defuse the situation with Russia.

If Russia doesn't want to be sanctioned its course is clear. Stop attacking their neighbors.

Like I said, you're so consumed with Obama hatred that you want bad things for America. Pretty gross.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
If Russia doesn't want to be sanctioned its course is clear. Stop attacking their neighbors.

Like I said, you're so consumed with Obama hatred that you want bad things for America. Pretty gross.

If obama were a competent leader we would not be having this discussion.

Who are we to levee sanctions against Russia? Russia does not answer to Europe, nor does Russia answer to the US.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If obama were a competent leader we would not be having this discussion.

Obama's done just fine here.

Who are we to levee sanctions against Russia? Russia does not answer to Europe, nor does Russia answer to the US.

That's a transparently silly question. The US as a country chooses who we want to do business with and on what terms.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
That's a transparently silly question. The US as a country chooses who we want to do business with and on what terms.

If Europe will not do business with Russia, someone else will. In this case that someone else is China.

Hopefully Russia will drop the dollar and the euro and adopt the chinese yuan.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So we lose leverage with Russia and the rest of the world.

Russia and China need to team up against American and European imperialism.

Russia and China? Who would use either as a reserve currency? I feel like you are going full retard in this thread. Russia steals land from their neighbor. You are hoping them and China stand up to American imperialism. /facepalm

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Russia and China? Who would use either as a reserve currency? I feel like you are going full retard in this thread. Russia steals land from their neighbor. You are hoping them and China stand up to American imperialism. /facepalm

It is pretty hilarious that this idiot is rooting for Russian imperialism because he doesn't like American imperialism.

EDIT: Also, nobody would use the yuan or the ruble as a reserve currency. Neither one of those countries has a credible or independent banking sector.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Why do you want America to lose leverage with the rest of the world?

Live and let live.

So what if Russia and the Ukraine are throwing a few punches, it is none of our business.

Does Crimea affect you or me? Probably not.

Will it ever affect us? Only if our government makes a big deal out of it.

The US government needs to stop worrying about the rest of the world and take care of business here at home.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Russia is merely recovering land that seceded from it.

Pretty sure we have an American president that did the same.

Also, Crimea voted to join Russia. Did the United States annex West Virginia?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Russia is merely recovering land that seceded from it.

Pretty sure we have an American president that did the same.

Oh this will be fun. When did Lincoln given away any part of the Union, and then invade to take it back?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Oh this will be fun. When did Lincoln given away any part of the Union, and then invade to take it back?

The South seceded from the United States in 1860-61.

Lincoln then invaded the south.

Are you familiar with history at all?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Live and let live.

So what if Russia and the Ukraine are throwing a few punches, it is none of our business.

Does Crimea affect you or me? Probably not.

Will it ever affect us? Only if our government makes a big deal out of it.

The US government needs to stop worrying about the rest of the world and take care of business here at home.

You're supporting someone else's invasion of their neighbor under "live and let live".

Do you realize how self contradictory that is?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The South seceded from the United States in 1860-61.

Lincoln then invaded the south.

Are you familiar with history at all?

Yes I am. Are you? Because I am trying to figure out what seceding has to do with Crimea being given to Ukraine 50 years ago. Your analogy doesn't make any sense.