is rosie having the last laugh? (re: the view)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I know she's a big angry lesbian and not really popular with the typical AT-segment, but it looks like she was more popular with views than ABC realized...

Rosie Leaves, and So Do 'view'-ers

There's a lot of Rosie O'Donnell news this morning.

First, I can tell you that she met with the producers of CBS's "The Price Is Right" on Thursday, but wound up passing on their offer to host the show.

I'm told the they made her a substantial offer, but that the location of the show ? Los Angeles ? was the deal-breaker. Just as I predicted, Rosie will not move from New York. She's set here, and in Miami. So that's it. No amount of money can change it.

But "The Price Is Right," like other TV people interested in Rosie, should know this: Since O'Donnell left "The View" on May 25, the ABC talk-fest has lost over 400,000 viewers.

Yes, I know: the New York Times said last week that the numbers were up from a year ago, and that without Rosie the show was still popular.

Not exactly. According to figures obtained from Nielsen/Soundscan by our research department, "The View" sank like a stone during the first two weeks of June, right after Rosie left.

Indeed, "The View" suffered a 13 percent decline in household ratings, and a 9 percent decline in overall ratings during the combined weeks of June 4 and 11 compared with Rosie's last two weeks.

Here are some stats: The week of May 21, Rosie's last week (even though no one knew it), the show had an average of 3.8 million viewers a day. But the week of June 11, the ratings were down to 3.35 million viewers a day.

It's that simple: People are either watching or they are not. And a lot fewer of them are tuning in since O'Donnell split for greener pastures.

Now the question is: Who will make the price and the situation right for Rosie to return to TV? It's obvious she has an enormous following and remains incredibly popular among morning TV viewers.

The word is that some kind of package that would put her on daytime, where she's friendly, and nighttime, where she can be "herself," is the apparent answer to getting O'Donnell to sign on the dotted line.

And, it all must take place in New York.

Meanwhile, when numbers come in this week for last week's final ratings of the season for "The View" is when ABC execs will be crawling out on a ledge.

Losing O'Donnell was an unmitigated disaster for them. ABC Daytime would appear to be in disarray. They can't even manage to execute the return of Genie Francis to "General Hospital" after she won an Emmy last week.

It's not looking good over there. Maybe it's time for a management change.

maybe the ABC execs should have listened to her about dumping Barbara Walters from The View :p

Tipsy Turtle

Feb 6, 2007
Duh.

This has nothing to do with people liking that fat whale of a woman.

It has to due with the fact people were tuning in to watch the controversy/drama and once she was gone so was it.

Nov 30, 2006
Agree with Tipsy Turtle...Rosie was going off the deep end with regularity and was quite the spectacle. I would expect viewership to decline after the "car wreck" was over.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I can see it right now---Rosie hosting the price is right----asking her contestants to guess the net worth of Donald Trump---who last I heard was so deep in debt he will never break even. So even a bid of zero on that showcase would disqualify anyone because they over bid.

Now that would be a way for Rosie to get her revenge on the Donald.

But I have to feel my way is better---I try to ignore the both of them. But like a bad penny they even turn up on Anand Tech. And in other news---Paris Hilton was released from jail
today. Alcoholic beverages are again endangered species.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Rosie, Paris Hilton, etc. are not news. The are diversionary entertainment-cotton candy as compared to a real meal.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Lesbians are under-represented on television, let this be a lesson to us all!

Now if they'd only hire Hillary Clinton or one of the Bush twins to replace her .. hrmmm.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Nothing new here. How do you think Howard Stern got famous? It wasnt his fans. The majority of the people that listenened to him, called in, wrote letters, (promoted him), etc were people that absolutely hated his guts.

If Grosie was so popular, why was her own show cancelled?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Train
Nothing new here. How do you think Howard Stern got famous? It wasnt his fans. The majority of the people that listenened to him, called in, wrote letters, (promoted him), etc were people that absolutely hated his guts.

I believe that she ?retired? from her own show.
Her own show was very different than what we saw on The View.
She just chatted and acted nice to everyone (expect Tom Selleck)
If she had wanted she would most likely still be on the air.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
What time is The View on? It might be because children are out of school and a lot of those 400,000 viewers are watching their children instead.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
What time is The View on? It might be because children are out of school and a lot of those 400,000 viewers are watching their children instead.
More likely the kids have control of the TV now.
Viewer ship does drop during the summer. But with Rosie gone their ratings will go down as well. She is a hard person to replace. Maybe Trump is free...

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Train

was it cancelled? I thought she chose to leave in order to spend more time with her family. wasn't her show was extremely successful in terms of ratings?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Like her or not Rosie was interesting. The rest of the Yenta's on that show are a snooze fest, especially that Kathy Lee Gifford clone Elizabeth Hassleback.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: aidanjm
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Train
If Grosie was so popular, why was her own show cancelled?</end quote></div>

was it cancelled? I thought she chose to leave in order to spend more time with her family. wasn't her show was extremely successful in terms of ratings?

She is turning her daughter into a terrorist.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I bet it is a combo of Rosie leaving (some people do like her) and people tiring of the mindless drone opening her mouth who goes by the name of Elizabeth Hassleback . (I'd hit it).

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Tipsy Turtle
Duh.

This has nothing to do with people liking that fat whale of a woman.

It has to due with the fact people were tuning in to watch the controversy/drama and once she was gone so was it.
Exactly. Everyone wanted to see the lezbo cry. Wahhh.

Originally posted by: umbrella39
I bet it is a combo of Rosie leaving (some people do like her) and people tiring of the mindless drone opening her mouth who goes by the name of Elizabeth Hassleback . (I'd hit it).

Ditto to the last part. But I hardly find her mindless. She's opinionated and actually represents her age peer group well.