Is RIFT any good ?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Why not find out for yourself since its free to download and play up to level 20.

I played it up to level 50,thought it was decent .

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I liked it. I don't have a sub now though because Im too busy. If you liked WOW and want something different, give it a try for a month.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
edit: gamestop sent me an email for being a powerup rewards member and i got a redemption code for the game and a 30 day subscription :D ?

MadEmperor

Oct 2, 2004
I've played WoW for 1/2 a decade and SWTOR from launch until April. Then Rift from April until now. That said Rift is by far the best game of those three. Leveling was a bit dry and boring, but with 1.9 now you can do Instant adventures and friends can temporarily lower their level to play with you while they still get end game rewards.

Unlike swtor esp, Rift has amazing end game. That's where the game really shines imo. It's free to try, and if you want to buy it it's the cheapest. You can get it for $10 at walmart ect and it comes with 30days free. (so essentially it's a free purchase.) If you pay for a year in advance it's $9/m which is very cheap, otherwise it's in the lower teens in price still lower than most.

I would say yes, get it!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It borrows a lot from WoW, and tries to make a lot of things more user friendly.

Little things, like mail lasts 90 days in mailboxes instead of 30. You get more flexibility, each class can play different roles (healer, dps, tank etc.)

A common reaction is to think 'hey this is a great alternative to WoW' for a few months and then a good number seem to leave.

It has some nice additions, like a little feature to find 'artifacts' hidden randomly.

Tradeskills are not bad.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Its a nice alternative to WoW. Plays pretty much the same with slight differences in the way classes work. I thought the macro system was really dumb, essentially it runs a priority down a list of abilities. So you list your abilities in one macro from strongest to weakest and spam that one button. The game will do whichever ability is highest on the list. Breaks every class down into 2-3 buttons max dispite having many many more abilities.

zijin_cheng

May 11, 2012
I have a question, I bought rift which comes with a free 1 month of play.

Is it possible to start a new account, play until level 20 then use the free 1 month going past that?

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I tried rift, and have to say it was ok. However I know the first time I tried it, there were plenty of rifts and events happening even in low level area and I enjoyed reaching level 15 (cap on trial).

When I tried it again (few months back), with no event and so few other people leveling around the same level, it kinda becomes just a grind to kill things and quest, with the occasional rift that you can do alone.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
I had a ton of fun with Rift for a month. Then I reached end game and never bothered to sub up.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i had a lot of fun with rift for a few months. Got to max level, did a bunch of raids, but then just got bored doing the same stuff over and over. it was too easy to level and there wasn't enough endgame stuff to do, plus my guild mates stopped logging in and there was very few people left.

Not sure what population is like now, probably fairly low.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
It's a pretty cool MMO.
Some cool stuff like the skill trees that you choose instead of being forced into a class. You choosse a path (Warrior, Mage, Priest, Rogue) and from there you can choose 3 trees from the 9 available. It's a neat mechanic.

Graphics are ok, game runs smooth, still has a good amount of people gaming.

Never been far in the game, in fact, never did an instance yet which I would love to try. Stopped playing at lever 19-20 IIRC.

Might get another month just to play a bit more.