Is Razer still making the Diamondback? If not, which model to get?

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The scrollwheel on my beloved diamondback is dying. It's about 3 years old and has seen heavy use. I tried finding one online but haven't had much luck. The egg, amazon and buy.com don't have them, and some backwoods site I ordered from emailed me a week later saying whoops, they actually didn't have it in stock (god forbid they keep track of this stuff). I've tried a death adder but the thing's the size of a softball and I just don't like it. Further the PC it's for is in my bedroom, and stays on 24/7, and the death adder is so bright I had to put something over it at night so I could get to sleep.

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
They have a 10th anniversary diamondback. It's a couple generations old (1800 dpi engine) but still a diamondback.

I've got a Razer lachesis. Love the thing. Insanely fast response time and the cursor moves from the vibrations of me typing on my keyboard. If you install the razer software package, you can turn off the light that would be under your palm if you were holding it in your hand.

u3laptoper

Oct 25, 2009
I own a limited edition diamondback, but I really think the newer Razer mouse improved in ergonomics. There is another special edition made especially for Macs, it's white in color and sometimes bundled with mousepads.

My opinion, move on to the newer Razers.

dawza

Dec 31, 2005
The Copperhead is pretty similar in size and shape to the Diamondback, and as a long-time Diamondback user who moved on to the Copperhead, I feel it would be worth looking at.

I would recommend the Diamondback 3G, but two out of the three Diamondback/3G models I have owned developed issues with the primary buttons after some use. One started to misclick, and the other would squeak annoyingly. Both of the Copperheads I own have been solid for a few years now.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
The Copperhead must have been discontinued as Razer no longer lists it as one of their products on their website. It still shows up in some stores (including their own) but my guess is they're just selling out the last of the inventory and not producing any more new ones. I have also noticed that the Diamondback 3G is becoming ever harder to find, which wouldn't surprise me if Razer is going to discontinue or at least update this brand name, they've done it before with the Diamondback and have most recently done it to the DeathAdder (and Salmosa as well, but with a name change to the Abyssus, as the Abyssus is essentially the same shape/size with the same general feature set, the pirmary difference is the sensor)

Now, seeing as how the Diamondback is more of a finger tip mouse, if you're really attached to the form and the features your best bet really would be to stick with a Diamondback 3G or a Copperhead as both share a very similar size and form factor, granted both have actually fallen pretty far behind the curve in terms of gaming grade mousing features.

Of course this all really does depend on how exactly you grip the mouse when playing:

Palm - the entirety (or most of it) of your hand lays in direct contact with the mouse when gripping it

Claw - fingers are arched with the lower portion of your palm making contact with the mouse so that only the tips of your fingers and part of your palm are making direct contact with the mouse while gripping

Finger - grip is pretty much strictly with finger tips only

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The scrollwheel on my beloved diamondback is dying. It's about 3 years old and has seen heavy use. I tried finding one online but haven't had much luck. The egg, amazon and buy.com don't have them, and some backwoods site I ordered from emailed me a week later saying whoops, they actually didn't have it in stock (god forbid they keep track of this stuff). I've tried a death adder but the thing's the size of a softball and I just don't like it. Further the PC it's for is in my bedroom, and stays on 24/7, and the death adder is so bright I had to put something over it at night so I could get to sleep.

I had the original Diamondback which I gave away to a charity church ,however I also have the Diamondback 3G and Deathadder,the Diamondback 3G is better IMHO , with the Deathadder mouse I kept clicking the thumb button by mistake,the Diamondback 3G is close to the original Diamondback so that should fit your needs.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
The Copperhead must have been discontinued as Razer no longer lists it as one of their products on their website.

THANK GOD. That mouse performed like complete shit, and was grossly over-spec'd. Yea it was fine for people that played casually and high sensitivity gamers, but sub $10 mice were running circles around it.

All the laser sensor stuff being ready was clearly wrong as razer quickly switched to the infrared after the copperhead.

Occ

Nov 11, 2009
I'm rather found of my Copperhead, personally, but I guess I qualify as a high sensitivity user.

OP: Can you clarify how your scroll wheel is failing? I had a similar issue with my Diamondback and I solved it simply by dismantling the entire thing (found a guide via google) and cleaning it - it was failing only because of a bunch of gunk deep inside the housing. I also noticed you complained about the light being too bright on your Death Adder. If it's anything like my Copperhead, what I did was (again) dismantle it and disconnect the power connector for the light. It looks kind of like a system fan monitor on a motherboard. Pretty easy fix.

maretus

Nov 23, 2009
I think they still make Diamondback, however you may want to check out the Razer Mamba. It's pretty much the best gaming mouse you can get.

ginbong

Sep 9, 2009
Or the DeathAdder v2 with improved 3500dpi Infra-red sensor and better cording (non-laser)

My DeathAdder 1800dpi started playing up on me. I suspect the cording went bad.

Apparently better with low sensitivity gamers who like lifting up their mouse, Infra-red has lower height pick-up so it stops tracking in mid-air which is a good thing.