Is pure oxygen flammable?

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
If you had a chamber with non-reactive walls filled with 100% oxygen gas, no other gases and no solid material, could you make the oxygen somehow combust or explode?

Rogeee

Feb 1, 2006
Negative,Oxygen is the oxidiser,if no combustables are present there can be no combustion.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
You need fuel, oxygen, and a little influx of energy to start the reaction.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
No, pure oxygen by itself will not combust. However, it makes things that wouldn't normally burn/explode ignite very easily.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
So if I were to tell someone that oxygen wasn't flammable, would that make me a smart guy, or an annoying pedant?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: myusername
So if I were to tell someone that oxygen wasn't flammable, would that make me a smart guy, or an annoying pedant?
Well that would depend on whether you were giving them information relevant to something, or trying to make yourself look smart.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Technically, it won't combust. So, technically it isn't flammable.

However, isn't ozone formation exothermic (I'm too lazy to look it up)? Thus it can react with itself and release energy in a reaction similar to combustion.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
Technically, it won't combust. So, technically it isn't flammable.

However, isn't ozone formation exothermic (I'm too lazy to look it up)? Thus it can react with itself and release energy in a reaction similar to combustion.

I would think it would be mainly 02.

Isn't it just classified as an oxidizer and not flamable?

But ho boy, shooting oxygen at the camp fire is always fun.

jonessoda

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
According to MSDS datasheets on oxygen:
It's non-flammable, non-toxic gas (oxidizer)

Really? I thought in high enough concentrations, it was toxic. Oxygen narcosis, or something similar.

Krazefinn

Feb 1, 2006
But something as inocous as oil contamination an O2 tank threads is HIGHLY combustible...open the valve, hi-pressure 02 hits the threads with oil...and KABOOM! Tank will rocket off loike a missile.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: jonessoda
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
According to MSDS datasheets on oxygen:
It's non-flammable, non-toxic gas (oxidizer)

Really? I thought in high enough concentrations, it was toxic. Oxygen narcosis, or something similar.

Yes high level of pure O2 are toxic to the body(over time)

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
Originally posted by: myusername
If you had a chamber with non-reactive walls filled with 100% oxygen gas, no other gases and no solid material, could you make the oxygen somehow combust or explode?

yes you could make it explode. you just heat it up until the pressure in the chamber is past its critical pressure point and the thing will explode.