Is Project/Technology Management Masters worth anything?

TwoMix

Aug 1, 2001
I'm going to my last year at college majoring in comp eng. My school offers a Graduate Certificate program where I can take 4 classes (12 credits) to get a grad certificate. grad certificate
Should i go for project management or something more technical wireless, NIS, etc.
So basically would a halfa$$ proj management masters be worth anything to me after i grad.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The hot thing in project management is the PMP certification. Can you get that?

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
I heard a PiMP cert is pretty hot nowadays too.
Jeebus. I could rant all day on this one. This short version of this is:
-program is a cookie cutter mgmt program that does nothing to encourage creative or cross-discipline thinking.
-costs over $5K for classes and tests, yet you cannot study on your own and just pay for the tests.
-once you gain your certification, you then realize all your courses and certification does not translate into any college credits. none. zippo. (my SCUBA diving classes are applicable, profession level counting as upper level credits)

I've worked with too many of these people that cannot manage to pour water out of a glass - even with the instructions written on the bottom of the glass.
:|

EDIT: if you can swing the college class, then yes by all means take them. Master's level classes and/or college certificate programs equate to at least 5-10 dollars more an hour (on a contractual basis)

TwoMix

Aug 1, 2001
Uhhh no idea what a PMP cert is...
Should i get a more technical masters cert while in undergrad? or just go for the project management.
Im dont know about companies hiriing a manager out of college.