Is Princess & Frog (Disney) scary?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I want to take skoorbabies (5 and 3) tomorrow to it but a friend said all four of her kids got scared by it and one had a nightmare--BY THE TRAILER. I've read a review and didn't get this impression. Is it scary--apparently it had some skeleton face in it or something.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I'd be curious about this too ... would love to take my three and half year old daughter to the bigscreen for the first time.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
my six year old was a little scared, my three year old was bored and entertained himself getting items from us to go and throw into the trash bin.

kia75

Oct 30, 2005
Aww, jeeze, Have we become so over-protective that we now have to whitewash DISNEY movies for our kids? :rolleyes:

Anyway, the main villain is a voodoo priest so we do have some voodoo magic shenanigans. When the "Shadow man" does his magic there is some talking voodoo masks and walking sack dolls (think main characters from ps3 game Little big planet) hop around. The "Shadow man" has some shadow minions he orders around that look menacing. The final battle does take place in a cemetary but I don't think we see anything other then tombstones. That's about it.

There was a rather intense moment where spoilers, The Shadow man steps on a firefly friend, killing him but it wasn't scary so much as intense. "Shadow Man" was a bad person and the firefly gave his life for his friends.

No-one, not even a three year old will get nightmares from this cartoon. If you're an over-protective Christian then you might not want to see this movie because it does feature voodoo magic, but then you'd be an idiot because magic has been a mainstay in Disney films all the way to Snow White and the Witches magic apple.

IMO, kids need to see some age-appropriate scary stuff. Think the wolf from Never-ending Story, he was scary. Think the Gnome King from Return to Ox. Kids LIKE being scared, thats why they enjoy Halloween. Even if "Princess and the Frog" was scary, I'd encourage you to take your kids to see it, but its not.

Anastasia and its zombie antagonist who dances with bugs was more scary then Princess and Frog.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Aww, jeeze, Have we become so over-protective that we now have to whitewash DISNEY movies for our kids?
:D It isn't being over-protective as much as I just don't want to waste the cash if she's going to try to drag me out the door if it is too scary.

Thanks for the detailed reply though.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
yesterday, we took our 8 year old and 3 year old to go see it. they enjoyed it. it didn't scare the 3 year old at all. he sat and watched the whole thing.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
disney... scary?

Well, what they've done to copyright is, but their movies aren't. :awe:

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
My wife said that my son got a little scared of a scene in a graveyard that had alot of shadows. But he's always had a thing about shadows so...

And yet he's the one that wanted to name the puppy Shadow....

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I'm interested to see this movie, just to see their portrayal of Louisiana and black women. I'm guessing they just put a white woman in a black suit.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I'm interested to see this movie, just to see their portrayal of Louisiana and black women. I'm guessing they just put a white woman in a black suit.

How are you going to do that with a cartoon?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Little Mermaid had more scary moments then Princess and the Frog.

Like a squid version of the Joker. :eek:

ursula-2.jpg

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I took my 4-year old daughter to see it today. I do think it's scarier than your average rated-G movie, and she got scared at several parts, but I didn't have to leave the theater or anything. Those shadow minions may be pretty creepy for kids.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Kids these days...

This is a book we had in our school library that I remember reading in 3rd grade:
scary_stories1.jpg
sc16bz3.jpg

Sure the images were disturbing, but the stories were even more horrifying. It was pretty awesome.

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
"Skoorb
No Lifer"

65,074 posts.
i really am surprised you had time to make your kids :)

what is with the pics above??

Last edited: