Is Portal 2 worth buying for $29.99?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I greatly enjoyed Portal and just now finally have some time where I can consider playing a game.

Should I go for it?

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Absolutely. I enjoyed Portal 2 just as much as Portal. I also really enjoyed the co-op levels.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I thought portal 2 was a great game. It was maybe a little on the short side, but the coop parts added a little length. It's unfortunate that a game like this has so little replay value.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I really loved portal 2. Though I would wait on a sale or see if you can snag a coupon.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
It's a great game. There are quite a few well done custom maps, both singular and multiplayer, as well.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Portal games are unique... nothing else out there is like it.
That makes it a good buy, if you want to try something differnt.

concept is pretty simple, you use left and right click to make a orange and a blue portal opening in walls. You go through one, you come out the other.

There are some levels that ll have to thinking things though, testing things, others you just go through like a knife through butter. And along with it all is really good voice acting, a funny story.

Id say portal 2 is perphaps the most memorable game, Ive played last year.
Enjoyable one at that... which you sadly cant say for all games. So yes.. its worth buying.

It was maybe a little on the short side,....
^ this is the only bad part, if you sit down and play seriously, you ll be through it in 2 days or so.
So it ll only last you a weekend.... but it ll beat spending that $ going to a movie or such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jyjc19ESJM&feature=related

^ speed run 2hours or so.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I think i got it cheaper on a Steam sale. but the game is great.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I don't think it is worth it imo. I spent $10 when it was on sale during the Autumn sale and that is about as much as I feel it is worth.

The writing/story was very good. The puzzles I find to be pretty meh overall. They made it so you could only solve one way and made it obvious, hey look a lone section of wall that can have a portal made on it and the rest of the wall can not....durrrr

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
It's worth every penny. A game with a lot of charm and I found the difficulty to be balanced quite well. Got stuck quite a few times for a spell, then the "AH HA" moment triggered and it was glorious victory. Until the next room.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
I don't think it is worth it imo. I spent $10 when it was on sale during the Autumn sale and that is about as much as I feel it is worth.

The writing/story was very good. The puzzles I find to be pretty meh overall. They made it so you could only solve one way and made it obvious, hey look a lone section of wall that can have a portal made on it and the rest of the wall can not....durrrr

Harsh man. Your standards are astronomical if Portal 2 is only worth about an hour or so of slave labor wage.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Harsh man. Your standards are astronomical if Portal 2 is only worth about an hour or so of slave labor wage.

Not really. I just didn't find it all that good of a game. The puzzles were easy and most were quite obvious. It started to feel a bit long in tooth by the end as well. Like I said, i thought the story/written was top notch and that was what drove me to continue playing. I loved Portal 1 very very much and have played through it a few times. I can say without a doubt I will not play Portal 2 again.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010

You have to take into account, that its a pretty small game, you finish in 1 or 2 days of playing it.

*IF* you know what your doing, at normal speed, you can beat the game (all puzzels ect) in like 1.5 hours or so..... lets say 2 hours of gameplay (room for small errors ect).

This game litterly doesnt last more than 2 days even for people that take their sweet time, and are slow to figour out puzzels. Alot of people actually beat the game the same day they bought it.... to me thats kinda too little gameplay time. That should take some of its value away, its not one of those games you want to spend a fortune on.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Not really. I just didn't find it all that good of a game. The puzzles were easy and most were quite obvious. It started to feel a bit long in tooth by the end as well. Like I said, i thought the story/written was top notch and that was what drove me to continue playing. I loved Portal 1 very very much and have played through it a few times. I can say without a doubt I will not play Portal 2 again.

I've heard a lot of things about Portal 2, but NOBODY has ever said it felt long near the end. Are you sure you have the right game? It's known for being notoriously short for a full priced game.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've heard a lot of things about Portal 2, but NOBODY has ever said it felt long near the end. Are you sure you have the right game? It's known for being notoriously short for a full priced game.

I meant long as in boring, it was same old same old, the only thing that kept me playing was I knew I was almost done and I liked the story/writing. I beat the game in like 5, maybe 6 hours so it wasn't a actual length issue.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Portal and Portal 2 are works of art; they're masterpieces in story telling and puzzles. Denying yourself to play them, at any price, is a damn shame.

I paid full price, and gladly did so. For those that don't know, there's a map editor and a whole website dedicated to download maps people have created to play on in SP and COOP: http://www.thinkingwithportals.com/

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
Well, Valve games always have good production values and the Half Life universe is interesting enough to warrant a purchase of just about any game set it. Is it worth 30 bucks though? Eh, not to me I got it for 7.50 on sale so that's what I felt it was worth. If someone is willing to give you a 50% off coupon though go for it.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I'd say its worth that, if you play single player and co-op. But Valve has sold it for less than that by a substantial amount, no reason to pay more than the going for it.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
It was better than Portal 1 in just about every way. It just lacked the initial OMG factor that the first one had because, well, it was the first one. Moon rock based surfaces may have made things easier in Portal 2, but the scale of the maps and the new mechanics kinda made it necessary. And they wove it into the story so that it made sense. I paid full price, never played COOP, and I feel I got my moneys worth.

ApexBoost

May 5, 2011
Its a great experience and there's really endless gameplay with custom maps you can download. I'm thoroughly satisfied with paying $60 for it.