Is PHP rather easy to learn?

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
It may be slightly easier to learn, but php is a bit limited... If all you want is web stuff, go php.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Programming is programing. Its trival to learn any of them after you pick up the basics of one.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
One programming language is the same as another, in terms of difficulty to learn, in my opinion. Whichever one you learn first is hard. All the other ones are pretty easy after that.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: notfred
One programming language is the same as another, in terms of difficulty to learn, in my opinion. Whichever one you learn first is hard. All the other ones are pretty easy after that.

Maybe for all managed languages, but I still find C and pointers a lot harder than VB6 for me.

VB6 is still a managed language is it not? I relate managed languages to virtual machines so much...it seems like they go together like bread and butter these days.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I found it very easy to learn. It's just the logic and syntax that you've gotta wrap your head around.

stndn

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2001
In my opinion, when PHP is compared to java, PHP is too easy to learn.
This is what caused a lot of half-baked PHP programmer to come up here and there, and claim to be good web developer when they know the syntax by heart, but not when or where to use them.

I've worked with several PHP programmers. Some of them comes from Java background, and they're the better ones. Others came from different fields, and they write sloppy codes most of the time. When stuck, they would search for code snippets from the web and slap them in our scripts, without really thinking what the snippets did or how those need to be changed to do our needed logics.

Granted, my experience is limited to less than 30 people so far. But from the mess I've seen, I think PHP is too easy to learn it didn't teach good programming practice.

But then again, a programming language is a programming language is a programming language.
Learning the syntax is not that hard, thanks to the manuals.
It's learning when, where, and how to use the syntax that's hard.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: stndn
In my opinion, when PHP is compared to java, PHP is too easy to learn.
This is what caused a lot of half-baked PHP programmer to come up here and there, and claim to be good web developer when they know the syntax by heart, but not when or where to use them.

I've worked with several PHP programmers. Some of them comes from Java background, and they're the better ones. Others came from different fields, and they write sloppy codes most of the time. When stuck, they would search for code snippets from the web and slap them in our scripts, without really thinking what the snippets did or how those need to be changed to do our needed logics.

Granted, my experience is limited to less than 30 people so far. But from the mess I've seen, I think PHP is too easy to learn it didn't teach good programming practice.

But then again, a programming language is a programming language is a programming language.
Learning the syntax is not that hard, thanks to the manuals.
It's learning when, where, and how to use the syntax that's hard.

I see bad php on a daily basis, tipically because of what was thought to be one time scripts.

I came from a C++ background, then I started using perl to do websites in the 90's. Then I switched to php because of a client who didnt' want to use perl or asp for a web project. I think php has been the single most useful tool I have had. I use it for scripting, websites, and even proof of concpet gui apps. Sure I wouldn't use it for anything serious besides a website, but it makes a great protoyping language and it can be wrote fast. Plus its object support is getting better. I think once people start really using objects in php5 you will see the quality of code improve.

However, that said. I still find myself being more sloppy in php then I am in c++, and I use pear a damn awful lot.