Is Obama really a bad president?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What say ye!

• Good

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
A C+ or B- seems about right. Both "Good" and "Bad" are too strong for where I'd place him.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Poll really needed an "indifferent" option in between good and bad.

Better him than Palin or a (Putin-style) third term for Bush though.

Romney seems to be even more of a corporate and party tool, so I'm not seeing great choices for the 2012 elections.

Apr 27, 2012
Poll really needed an "indifferent" option in between good and bad.

Better him than Palin or a (Putin-style) third term for Bush though.

Romney seems to be even more of a corporate and party tool, so I'm not seeing great choices for the 2012 elections.

obama is just a continuation of George Bush

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I would like to see a cross between Ron Paul and Obama... but that would get nothing done at all.

The problem is, a President can only get things done when there are enough people in congress willing to SERIOUSLY listen to him.

(Seriously listen = Listen, consider, and decide, not just listen, nod a lot and bulwark the whole deal...)

From Abroad

May 11, 2012
Ye have to consider that Obama's government didn't commit any mistake by itself, regarding the whole mess that the global economy are in, especially in Europe.

The debt-ceiling crisis wasn't only Obama's fault, but the congress too (therefore Republicans in the House of Representatives)

Despite that, don't forget Bush's government and his blame share about 2008 crisis.

So the main question is: would John McCain have made better than Obama if he had been elected in 2008? Would it be a continue of the George W. Bush government?

The latter question was already answered in 2008, but how about the first one?

I believe the same question is been questioned at this moment, but replace John McCain for Mitt Romney.

Anyway, you guys should know better than me. I am talking as a mere outsider.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
So the main question is: would John McCain have made best than Obama if he had been elected in 2008? Would it be a continue of the George W. Bush government?

The presidency ages men quickly, and McCain was already looking a little frail.

So, assume there was a good chance of 2-3 years of a Palin presidency.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Admittedly I'm dramaticising rather than actually quoting. Mitch McConnell said that the number one priority of the GOP in Congress was to ensure that Obama is a one term President. It was a little disgusting to hear when the country needs legislaters to have fixing the economy, jobs, healthcare, defense, anything else as the number one priority. And it's obvious that if the GOP works with Obama to fix the country, then they're working against their goal of keeping him from being re-elected. I personally found it to be one of the most despicable things an American politician has said in my lifetime.

This +1

That and his statement signaled the start of the 2012 election and campaign season.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The presidency ages men quickly, and McCain was already looking a little frail.

So, assume there was a good chance of 2-3 years of a Palin presidency.

Yeah, I never bought the "heartbeat away" bullshit. The man survived a North Vietnamese torture camp, and you think the Presidency would sink him? Also from what I heard he was in pretty good health for a guy his age.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Yeah, I never bought the "heartbeat away" bullshit. The man survived a North Vietnamese torture camp, and you think the Presidency would sink him? Also from what I heard he was in pretty good health for a guy his age.

According to this, he was 71 years old, had some health issues, and a type of cancer with a 22% chance of death:
http://articles.cnn.com/2008-05-23/...ords_1_mccain-cm-margin-melanoma?_s=PM:HEALTH

"According to the American Cancer Society, such a melanoma would be classified as Stage IIA, which is associated with a five-year survival rate of about 78 percent and a 10-year survival rate of about 66 percent"

Even before the office added its stress, a 1-in-4 chance of President Palin is not good odds.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I was worried about two things with McCain.

1. He was such a shill compared to what he was back in 2000 (with guest appearances on the Daily Show).

2. He IS OLD! Just look at how much EVERY PRESIDENT has aged in that stressful job.

Obama has been in 3 years and he is going all grey.

Palin was a STUPID choice for VP that many in the GOP regret, but will never admit to. She makes a better misinformed pundit than big-time political candidate.

Budarow2

Sep 14, 2011
I think Obama is a good man who lacks policital experience, wisdom (reading a lot of world history books NOW could solve this shortcoming) and the high level of self-sacrifice necessary to become a truely great president. To be fair, the above would actually be a "Super President" which most likely will never exist since the vast majority of human beings fall far short (myself included). Maybe we should elect a robot for President?

I liken Obama to King Louie the 16th of France in 1791 who was reportedly a "good man" in general. Just like Louie, Obama sees the major problems with the government/economic system, but he keeps trying to "tinker" with government policy/economics rather than ramming through large scale, necessary changes which will start to correct a very broken system.

Nobody likes large scale change (especially on the "county level" like the U.S.), because it's pretty damn scary, but it seems necessary these days if things are actually going to get better (rather than constantly trending downward from this point on).

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
No man or woman can achieve an A being the president of America, there are too many things. but Obama has done an excellent job so far getting everyone out of recession and depression.

Sure money had to be spent to do that, but everyone has to spend money after a hurricane tears up your house to pieces.... and this no less, is AMERICA

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I think he has been good. He is serving in a political climate where moderates do not exist, and with an opposition whose stated #1 objective is to see him personally fail. His only opportunity to do anything came during the brief period where his party held fillibuster-proof majorities, and he did get something big done. Apart from that, the minority has been abused and in return has abused its power (fillibuster) to prevent anything from getting done.

I'm not sure really what you could ask a guy to do in this climate. I've never seen a president treated so poorly for doing so little. I mean Bush brought about a visceral hatred in some people, but to his credit he started two wars. Healthcare or not Obama is treated like a communist "other" who must be stopped.

Apr 27, 2012
barrack HUSSEIN obama has been a horrible president. He serves special interests like Wall Street and the media refuses to report that. He also has massivey violated civil liberties yet there is no outrage, he supports the TSA, Patriot Act and NDAA.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
barrack HUSSEIN obama has been a horrible president. He serves special interests like Wall Street and the media refuses to report that. He also has massivey violated civil liberties yet there is no outrage, he supports the TSA, Patriot Act and NDAA.

Republicans support all of the above too, what's your point? And why capitalize Hussein, is that supposed to make him more evil? o_O

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Pretty much. But government is so big, so intrusive, and is supported by so many entrenched (and often well-funded) interests that I'm not at all sure it's possible to have a better than 'C' President any more.

This^

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
From my perspective he's one of the best in recent history. I like the whole obamacare thing, that sounds like an excellent idea. I don't really know much else about his policies other than that.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010

Why did you capitalise his middle name?