Is Newegg sending out pirated software?

wolfchen

Jun 7, 2013
Is Newegg now selling pirated software?
The Windows 7 Home Premium software that I just received from Newegg cannot be activated. It gives the error message that the provided Product Key number is not valid...even though it was accurately typed and attempted numerous times.
When it was installed without typing in the key number, no activation link could be found anywhere in the program.

Accordingly, Newegg should:
  • Stop selling seemingly pirated software;
  • Promptly send me a valid replacement with a valid Product Key number so that the program may be properly activated.
  • This replacement should be by one day delivery at no charge to me, since it is Newegg that has caused this problem by sending me seemingly pirated software.
NOTE that I'm to be sent the upgrade version, and NOT an OEM version.

I don't know what's going on with Newegg, but this is the 2nd problem I've had with your service. A few months ago, I was sent a defective motherboard. When it was returned for replacement, I was told that I had damaged the board, even though a third party had witnessed that the Gigabyte motherboard was not defective when I returned it to Newegg. Not only did Newegg not replace the board, they also did not even return the amount I paid for extended warranty.

Please send this email message to the vice president in charge of customer relations, with my request herein that I be sent by said corporate office a response to the issues raised herein.

Last edited by a moderator:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yea, I'm sure NE sells pirated software, sounds like you just ought to give up and buy a Dell.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
No, Newegg does not sell pirated software. Mistakes do happen sometimes, and while very rare, even a new sealed package from Microsoft will occasionally not work properly due to printing and processing errors.

You mentioned that you purchased the Upgrade version of Windows 7. Are you actually doing an upgrade from a previous version of Windows on this computer? If not, then the message that the product key is invalid is correct. It cannot be installed as a stand alone (new installation).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/windows-7-activation-error-invalid-product-key

To activate Windows 7 from within a completed installation:
1. Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.
2. If Windows detects an Internet connection, click Activate Windows online now. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3.Type your Windows 7 product key when prompted, click Next, and then follow the instructions to complete the activation.

Or, to activate by phone (or to speak to a Microsoft representative to confirm whether your product key is valid):
1. Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.
2. Click Use the automated phone system to activate. Click the drop-down menu, select the location that is nearest to you, and then click Next.
3. Call the listed phone number and follow the instructions to activate Windows.

If you can confirm that you actually did receive an invalid key from Newegg, then contact Newegg and let them know and they will replace it with a valid key.

p.s. I assume that you just posted this here in order to rant (which we all need to do sometimes) but don't expect anyone from Newegg to see or do anything about it unless you actually contact them directly.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
His second post here directed at another company. Somebody is confused.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Please send this email message to the vice president in charge of customer relations, with my request herein that I be sent by said corporate office a response to the issues raised herein.

What? Something tells me the problem isn't with Newegg........

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
Is Newegg now selling pirated software?
The Windows 7 Home Premium software that I just received from Newegg cannot be activated. It gives the error message that the provided Product Key number is not valid...even though it was accurately typed and attempted numerous times.
When it was installed without typing in the key number, no activation link could be found anywhere in the program.

Accordingly, Newegg should:
***Stop selling seemingly pirated software;
***Promptly send me a valid replacement with a valid Product Key number so that the program may be properly activated.
***This replacement should be by one day delivery at no charge to me, since it is Newegg that has caused this problem by sending me seemingly pirated software.
NOTE that I'm to be sent the upgrade version, and NOT an OEM version.

I don't know what's going on with Newegg, but this is the 2nd problem I've had with your service. A few months ago, I was sent a defective motherboard. When it was returned for replacement, I was told that I had damaged the board, even though a third party had witnessed that the Gigabyte motherboard was not defective when I returned it to Newegg. Not only did Newegg not replace the board, they also did not even return the amount I paid for extended warranty.

Do you seriously believe that your own poor planning and lack of knowledge should actually constitute an emergency on Newegg's part? If you really do believe that (and you're not just trolling) take it up with Newegg and be sure to post back here with a copy of their "corporate" response.

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
]Please send this email message to the vice president in charge of customer relations, with my request herein that I be sent by said corporate office a response to the issues raised herein.

You do realize that anandtech is not newegg right?

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Thank Jehovah that up here in Canada you can't buy off of Newegg.ca without a valid credit card or better.

I always buy from NCIX.COM because they take Money Orders.