is NETGEAR 54Mbps Cable/DSL Wireless good stuff?

ckk81

Apr 9, 2001
Hi i just bought another computer in my house and need some wireless connections.

is the NETGEAR 54Mbps Cable/DSL Wireless Router, Model WGR614 good stuff? is it safe from strangers stealing my connections?

I also need a PCI ethernet card, right? which brand or specific one should i pick? i want to be just as fast as my original connections.

please advise, thanks
Jack

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
As far as Stealing you connection it is the same story for all new Wireless Hardware.

Link to: Wireless Security.

If you already invest in 802.11g you should consider SuperG.

Why?

Log the following page. The differences between the first set of graphs to the second represent the performance differences between 802.11b to 802.11g

Link to: 802.11a/b/g SOHO Routers & Access Points: Performance

Notice how the D-Link and Netgear Super G Stick above the rest of the Crowd.

*Note. If you go with Super G all Wireless units should be of the same Brand.

If your Desktop is near the wall, PCI card for your desktop might be a Bad idea.

Why?

Wireless is depending on signal propagation.

PCI Wireless Client Card ends up been stuck behind the computer's case, resultant in obstructed transmission and poor performance. USB is connected to the Port with 2-3' cable allowing the Antenna to be placed above the System for better Transmission.

However a PCI card is a good choice when a powerful external Antenna is needed for long distance. Many Wireless PCI cards come with a removable Antenna.
:light:

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: JackMDS
As far as Stealing you connection it is the same story for all new Wireless Hardware.

Link to: Wireless Security.

If you already invest in 802.11g you should consider SuperG.

Why?

Log the following page. The differences between the first set of graphs to the second represent the performance differences between 802.11b to 802.11g

Link to: 802.11a/b/g SOHO Routers & Access Points: Performance

Notice how the D-Link and Netgear Super G Stick above the rest of the Crowd.

*Note. If you go with Super G all Wireless units should be of the same Brand.

If your Desktop is near the wall, PCI card for your desktop might be a Bad idea.

Why?

Wireless is depending on signal propagation.

PCI Wireless Client Card ends up been stuck behind the computer's case, resultant in obstructed transmission and poor performance. USB is connected to the Port with 2-3' cable allowing the Antenna to be placed above the System for better Transmission.

However a PCI card is a good choice when a powerful external Antenna is needed for long distance. Many Wireless PCI cards come with a removable Antenna.

JackMDS, your link format is incorrect.

GeminiZi

Oct 25, 2002
Hi I don't mean to steal your tread, but I have a few questions regarding routers and adapters. I'm thinking about getting the Netgear WGT624 Super G 108 Mbps Wireless Router, the specs said it?s upgradable to the next generation of wireless encryption, WPA (pre-shared key). Does that mean it doesn't come with WPA, and in order to get it, would I just need get the newest firmware?
I noticed JackMDS said *Note. If you go with Super G all Wireless units should be of the same Brand.
I have two PCs and one laptop, do I really have to get the same brand? I don't see Netgear carrying a PCI card with 108 Mbps. They do have the WG511T wireless PC card. How do the USB adapters work, can I get those?
Thank you for your time.

kstornado

Jan 15, 2004
One thing to be aware of...

If the product says it is upgradable to WPA, make sure that there is an existing firmware update that you can download before you purchase it. I bought a Netgear WG602 Wireless Access Point for the same reason, because they claimed it would support WPA in a future firmware release. After contacting tech support a month or so after I bought it, I found that the model I purchased could NOT be upgraded to support WPA. They did offer to swap WAP's with me for the newer WG602v2 which supported WPA out of the box. I have had no issues with it so far, and have liked the Netgear equipment i have purchased in recent years.

jsalpha2

Oct 19, 2001
I am looking at the D-Link DI-624 revision C, about $99 and the DWL-G520 PCI Adapter, about $60.
In my opinion they are a little better than the netgear. D-Link supports WPA security on Win98 or 2K
Netgear only on WinXP. Both are good if you only run XP. I'm still reading up on both and waiting for a realy hot deal.

GeminiZi

Oct 25, 2002
Amazon has the D-Link DI-624 for about $50 after rebate, but I dunno if it's revision C.
It did say IMPORTANT NOTE: This 108 Mbps firmware upgrade is currently available for revision C (1 antenna) only. Firmware for upgrading to 108 Mbps is not yet available for Revision A & B.
Hmm.... are you sure Netgear's WPA only supports XP? The Netgear WGT624 is also $50 after rebate at Amazon, which is a better router?

zodder

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
www.jpcompservices.com
Originally posted by: jsalpha2
I am looking at the D-Link DI-624 revision C, about $99 and the DWL-G520 PCI Adapter, about $60.
In my opinion they are a little better than the netgear. D-Link supports WPA security on Win98 or 2K
Netgear only on WinXP. Both are good if you only run XP. I'm still reading up on both and waiting for a realy hot deal.
LMK if you decide on the D-Link. I have a D-Link DI-624 revision C router and a couple DWL-G520 PCI Adapters that have been flashed to the latest firmware (108MB support) that I could sell you at a pretty decent price.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I wonder?

Why the immediate availability of WPA is so important to you guys.

If you are running Banking Services, or Credit Card Bureaus you should not do Wireless.

BTW. Do you know the difference between WEP and WAP?

GeminiZi

Oct 25, 2002
Should I just get the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router for $80 after rebate at amazon? Even tough the D-Link DI-624 is $50 after rebate and Netgear WGT624 is also $50 after rebate at amazon.