Is my XFX RX 470 4GB card toast?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This card, I bought around a year ago, and I had it installed into a Ryzen 5 1600 rig. Eventually, I started mining altcoins, with NiceHash on it. Been running Windows 10.

Well, I decided I needed more hashrate, and last month, I bought an XFX RX 570 4GB card for like $310.

I had BOTH cards sandwiched into my ATX tower, on an ASRock AB350M Pro4 board, which only has TWO slots between the PCI-E x16 slots.

The RX 470 (original card), was on top. The RX 570 was on the bottom.

Even with Wattman freq down 20-30% and power limit down 20-30%, the top card was still hitting 89C.

And every so often, I would hear rattling, which I thought was my push 120mm exhaust fan on my 120mm MasterLiquid Lite AIO.

Turns out, it was the "Hard Swap" fans on the top card, they were "sagging", for whatever reason, and scraping the backplate of the bottom card.

So, a few days ago, after discovering that, I split up the two cards. The top RX 470 went into a different machine, with the same CPU and motherboard, and the bottom RX 570 because the new "main card" for the original rig.

Well, I set both rigs up mining. The secondary rig, I installed the "beta mining drivers". Which, I had trouble with. I also had trouble, when mining, I couldn't wake the PC from monitor sleep mode. So I wanted to change the drivers. I tried installing 17.9.2, and 17.7.1, and in both cases, it would glitch the screen, then sort of go off into limbo, and I wouldn't get my display back up, after the driver install.

So, I backed up my bookmarks, and then re-formatted the secondary rig, with the card installed.

Fresh Win10 Pro 64-bit Creator's Edition, using a Wifi dongle, do updates, install apps, install AMD chipset drivers, install LAN drivers, RealTek audio drivers, reboot, install 17.7.1 (2?) WHQL drivers, they glitched the screen during actual driver install, then the screen went black, and never came back.

I tried turning the TV off, and back on. Tried switching HDMI cables. Still, no go. Can't soft-off either.

So, force power-off, reboot, old initial drivers that Win10 installs still showing. System info page on Radeon Software, can't show core clock or bus widths or memory clock. Wattman is like a ghost town.

What's going on here? Win10 is able to install the initial drivers and I get 4K UHD output, but then when I install any drivers off of the website, it just freezes up or goes into limbo or something. Very weird.

So, is my card toast? It appears to work with the initial drivers (17.1.1 or something) that Win10 64-bit installs during initial driver setup phase.

So confusing. No artifacts while using it, other than the "glitch-out" when installing drivers.