Is my UPS dead?

brshoemak

Feb 11, 2005
Can I assume that a UPS where none of the outlets provide any power is shot? That includes battery backup, surge-only, and even unswitched outlets just to be clear. FYI it's a sizeable rackmount until, not a Best Buy $60 special.

The outlets on the UPS were tested with a multimeter The wall outlet it was plugged into was providing power and the multimeter verified everything was at normal levels. There is a circuit breaker on the back of the unit and it is not tripped.

The device powers on and acts like nothing is wrong, but obviously non-working outlets is a problem.

Am I right in assuming it's shot?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Most likely but it could be something simple like a fuse or breaker. I'd check that if you have not. Failing that, I would open it up and see at what point you have power with a multimeter.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe one or more of the batteries died? Contact the company support to see what that behavior means. It's generally cheaper to replace the batteries than the whole unit.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Some units can be configured to not power up the inverter stage / outputs until instructed. I would verify that the output isn't shutdown in software. Also depending how big it is, may sure the output stage isn't off in the bypass section. If the unit has a bypass module / option, there will be output, inverter and bypass switches that are used to put the unit in and out of bypass for maintenance.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Did you try the reset button on it? When my last unit failed it just quit across the board without any warning and resetting it did nothing. Try the reset before you toss it in the trash.