Is my Radeon HD 4850 getting read to burn up?

Raswan

Jan 29, 2010
Looking for some input on the state of my HIS ICEQ4 Radeon 4850. Starting in the last week and with increasing frequency (up from every other day to 2-3 times per day), while playing Counter Strike, my monitor freezes, it kicks me out of CS, and I get an error message that says "VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands."

Core clock is set at 675 with the memory at 1010. I have the fan set to 80%. I ran Furmark for two hours this afternoon, got temps up to 80 C (they are normally steady ~low 50s), with no crashes, but I did get the error message after exiting Furmark. I also updated my video drivers with the latest ones, released 7-26-10 from ATI. Here's the rest of my system, in case someone sees something else causing the problem:

Case= ANtec Nine Hundred Two
MoBo= GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX
CPU= Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
Heatsink= Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan
RAM= G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
GPU= HQIce4 ATI Radeon 4850 512mb
Power Supply= Antec Neo HE550
HDDs= Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"and Seagate Barracude 320gb
OS= Win XP 32-bit

Purchased this card one year ago in June.

Can't find anyone who has posted this problem and gotten a satisfactory answer, so you're my last hope before rma-ing this thing. Thanks in advance.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Who"s ? your saying HIS .. LOL JK JK. Now to the serious part.
Lets fix your problems and you didnt need to post your rig on the message you can fill in your system specs in the cpanel so please do that its easier for us then to follow the thread. Now lets see whats going on with mine, I mean HIS 4850.

This is the TDR I believe that I did research on. Same thing happens to my cousins nvidia 9800GT but in desktop mode it gives that error when u wanna watch a video or utube or render video its slow. I did research on TDR and that is what this problem is. This can be caused by a lot of things but I have a hunch its heat.

You playing CS Source or CS1.

Firstly, take out your video card carefully and blow out all the dust from the fins of the video card HSF. Make sure fan is spinning @ 100 and don't overclock. The problem should be resolved then. If not you'll let us know whats going on. good luck on your journey. Thanks and God Bless

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
80C is not out of spec for a 4850. At the very least, it's not currently burning up.

Raswan

Jan 29, 2010
That's the impression I was under too. What, do you think, is causing the crashes and errors then?

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Have you tested any other games???

Being that you're using a value card you're dealing with value card memory which is notoriously sh*tty for overclocking. Read around and you'll find that even a 1 or 2 mhz boost in mem frequency is enough to crash a 4850 so get back to 993 or whatever your default mem clock is and leave it alone.

More bandwidth is not going to do you a bit of good at that core clock anyway.

The real muscle is in your GPU clock. My 4850 is sitting @ 726 up from 625 (I use RivaTuner v2.24 to get past AMD's imposed 700mhz clock limits). I personally cannot get a single extra mhz out of my GDDR3, the same should go for you.

Another fact is that you can't get past 1.2v on the GPU of a 4850 unless you do a hardware level volt mod. This is of course because ATI didn't want people turning their 4850's into 4870's/4890's. Your card has imposed limitation's you need to be aware of before overclocking, find your max GPU clock (700mhz should be easy) and leave everything else alone.

PS: Just noticed you have a factory overclocked card my bad, I'd lower your memory to 993/996 or so and see if that dose the trick. The GPU should not be the issue but if this just poped up and it's getting worse then I'd RMA the card simply for the fact that it's not running correctly at advertised clocks. You could always try stock clocks for a typical 4850 which would be 625/996. If it works fine at those speeds then yes send it back.

Last edited: