Is my R9 290 on its last breath? crashing/black screen issue

chromic

Oct 24, 2016
Long story short, i can't run unigine heaven without crashing/black screening.
https://vid.me/W9oK - like this, so basically after it reaches 89-92c, the screen goes black & GPU fan goes to idle.
Other fans/lights running, but frozen

Card is XFX R9 290 Core edition around 2 years old (stock clocks/voltages) no matter what i do, it crashes around 89-91c mark
i have tried following:
under/overclocking/volting
tried ton of custom fan profiles
Use 2 PCI-E power cable instead of 1 (which it worked earlier)
reseated card/tried different PCIE lanes
cleaned it out of dust/cleaned PCIE contact(?)
Updated drivers to latest beta
Degraded drivers to 14.x
Given the card "support" so it doesnt hang on just by the PCI-E slot
Tried "quiet" & "uber" mode on the PCB switch
Tried messing with RAM/CPU overclock settings
Tried different OC software, with no success.

Has my card come to its end?

I can play lighter games, like League of legends/ CS GO etc, but for example battlefield crashes my PC sometimes.

MSI Z97 Gaming 5
I5-4670k delidded 4.5ghz - 1.28v
Team group vulcan 1600mhz ddr3 2x4gb
XFX 750w "xxx" edition - semi modular PSU - 2 years old
128gb ssd
1tb hdd
Win 7 64B U

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
no matter what i do, it crashes around 89-91c mark

Is the fan running properly? Can you add any other fans near it to keep it cooler? If its not in warranty anymore you could try replacing the thermal paste but I'd be very careful if you've never done it before.

chromic

Oct 24, 2016
Is the fan running properly? Can you add any other fans near it to keep it cooler? If its not in warranty anymore you could try replacing the thermal paste but I'd be very careful if you've never done it before.

Its an stock/reference cooler R9 290, they run HOT http://www.anandtech.com/show/7481/the-amd-radeon-r9-290-review/15 - 94c is basically the regular temperature
I have replaced thermal paste on it once, but it didn't really give any better performance.

And also added an 120mm fan to blow on the side, i'm not 100% sure if its helping anything, but im totally out of ideas

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
So if you can keep it below the 89c degree temp it would be ok? You might try and get an aftermarket cooler for it or a used one off ebay , though some of the fancy aftermarket ones may not work with a reference card like yours.

Ransu70

Dec 26, 2015
While GPUs go hot, I would as the others suggest it coumd be heat related. The test program u use push the GPU to max = if too hot, will then crash.
Allso check that there isn't dust in the ventilation canals or on the fan. Check if the airflow is ok in the case or even consider adding a fan that helps.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
I would remove the Heatsink again and check the TIM/thermal interface material on the row of VRM's in the VRM1 position and make sure it is not torn up. Also, this could be a Power supply issue, as a PSU with problems is not going to hang in there at a 290's power hungry max draw over a period of time. If it cant support the Video card draw, the video card will crash and the rest of the system will/may stay running.