Is my pump reliable? Or is it on its way to failure?

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
Quick question. I've got a Corsair H55 that's I've been using for a long time...probably at least five years. It started out cooling my I72600k, then a Ryzen 5 1600 and now a Ryzen 7 1700 overclocked to 4.0 Ghz at 1.37 volts. It cools the CPU just fine and even under stress testing, my 1700 nver goes above 68C (not with the stock fan...I've got a pair of corsair SP fans running a low speeds instead)

But...its periodically making a clicking noise which goes on for a while and then stops. Like I said, cooling capabilities don't seem effected. I've seen various people in other threads saying that air bubbles could cause that noise. So, I've ordered myself a new cooler because the noise is too annoying, not because it doesn't cool well.

That will leave me with the still functional but noisy H55 that I could use somewhere else. I have a home server in a location where the noise doesn't matter so if the annoying noise is the only issue that's a good place for it. But I do need it to be reliable. Use it or toss it, that's the question.

Thanks

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Toss it now. Or toss in the near future when it takes the home system down. 5 years on a H55 pump is 984 airdog years. Whether it's air bubbles or bearings, it won't get better with age.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
make sure you have your system setup for cpu fan failure notification.

Also a clicking noise can be many things, things i tend to not like in a pump.

Try to ramp the pump up at a higher speed and see if the clicking noise disappears or gets worse.
If it goes away, it could be the pump showing age, and PWM not being as efficient as it used to.
If click noise gets worse, its a whole other bag of trouble, and should be replaced.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
make sure you have your system setup for cpu fan failure notification.

Also a clicking noise can be many things, things i tend to not like in a pump.

Try to ramp the pump up at a higher speed and see if the clicking noise disappears or gets worse.
If it goes away, it could be the pump showing age, and PWM not being as efficient as it used to.
If click noise gets worse, its a whole other bag of trouble, and should be replaced.

This particular pump runs at a fixed speed. I already bought a new one for my main system. Actually I just bought the same H55 I had before - just a new one. The old one has been tossed in the spare parts bin for a while. Why get the same one I had before? Well it cools plenty well enough and my motherboard was already set up for mounting it so it was a very quick job to pull the old one and put int he new one.