is my psu faulty? clicking noise with pc shutdown

maidos

Dec 20, 2009
So my psu has constant clicking noise even when pc is powered down. when i unplug powercord the noise stop and when i plug it in the noise resumes.
so my pc crashed today while gaming. and after rebooting my monitor no longer get signal from my gpu. when i swap to my old gpu my monitor works just fine.

but regarding the clicking noise, i unplugged everything from the pc and i just plugged power cord. the clicking noise is gone. so i then plugged the cables to my pc again and started playing games and the clicking noise is gone

im not sure what happend but did my psu fry my new gpu? :/

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
We need more info, especially your hardware specs. How long have you had the new video card?

Maybe your new video card needs more power than your PSU can provide? Have you tried your new video card in another computer to see if it works? Generally a clicking noise coming from a PSU means it has issues, but it's just a guess at this point until we have more information.

maidos

Dec 20, 2009
its intel xeon 1240v2 and my gpu is 1.2 years old and it worked fine until today its amd r9 380
i doubt my gpu suddenly requires more power than before and even if it was to require why wouldnt it at least proovide signal to my monitor? i uninsstalled my amd gpu driver to see if it work but still see black screen.

everything is stock clocked
my gpu fans are still spinning though.
and also my psu is 8 months old
http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gaming-v-sm-series/v750s/

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
its intel xeon 1240v2 and my gpu is 1.2 years old and it worked fine until today its amd r9 380
i doubt my gpu suddenly requires more power than before and even if it was to require why wouldnt it at least proovide signal to my monitor? i uninsstalled my amd gpu driver to see if it work but still see black screen.

everything is stock clocked
my gpu fans are still spinning though.
and also my psu is 8 months old
http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/gaming-v-sm-series/v750s/

I meant if your new GPU required more power than your old one. You didn't exactly provide much needed info in your previous post.

Your PSU is of decent quality, your old GPU seems to work fine, so it sounds like your new GPU is bad. Maybe test it in a different computer, or take it to a local PC repair shop for them to test it.

Also, good quality PSUs rarely "fry" a PC component. There are protections built into PSUs to prevent that sort of thing. A large power surge coming into your house would be a lot more likely to damage your components than a PSU dying.

maidos

Dec 20, 2009
i might consider just RMA the gpu but what about the clicking noise on my psu? that isnt normal considering pc isnt even powered on?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
i might consider just RMA the gpu but what about the clicking noise on my psu? that isnt normal considering pc isnt even powered on?

You said the clicking noise is gone without the new GPU in there, didn't you?

maidos

Dec 20, 2009
i unplugged all psu cabled but amd r9 380 was still installed on my pc... i basically unplugged all cabled, then plugged power cord. there were no more noise anymore. so i plugged the power cord to my pc again with my faulty ? gpu. my gpu fan were spinning, and no beep sound or anything. also removed cmos battery. but i still dont see anything on my monitor

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
i unplugged all psu cabled but amd r9 380 was still installed on my pc... i basically unplugged all cabled, then plugged power cord. there were no more noise anymore. so i plugged the power cord to my pc again with my faulty ? gpu. my gpu fan were spinning, and no beep sound or anything. also removed cmos battery. but i still dont see anything on my monitor

I'm getting confused.

In your first post you said:

so my pc crashed today while gaming. and after rebooting my monitor no longer get signal from my gpu. when i swap to my old gpu my monitor works just fine.

but regarding the clicking noise, i unplugged everything from the pc and i just plugged power cord. the clicking noise is gone. so i then plugged the cables to my pc again and started playing games and the clicking noise is gone

So with your old old GPU in there, there is no clicking noise, and your computer works normally, correct?

maidos

Dec 20, 2009
Pc crashed while gaming. I rebooted the pc however monitor no longer received signal from my gpu. So I assumed this is related with my psu due to the clicking noises. I went ahead to reseat and install in secondary gpu slot to no avail.
After that I simply unplugged all the power cords from my pc and replug the main powercord to my psu. That is when the clicking noise permanently dissappeared. So I wanted to try out carefully to replug the 24 pin cord and 8 pin cpu power cord, hdd power cord and gpu cord. The computer starts up with my faulty gpu however with no signal. But the clicking noise from my psu is gone.

This is when I installed my older gpu to narrow down possible issues but everything works like a charm(although at first i got the bios error message regarding surge protection)and my monitor gets signal from my older gpu.
Basically my newer gpu r9 380 doesnt work anymore and I base my assumption that perhaps some power surge reached out to my gpu and blew up some capacitor?
My outstanding concern with the psu is the fact that the noise used to be constant noise despite my computer not being powered on which no longer is anymore.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It sounds like you need to get your PSU tested as well then. Maybe you had some type of power surge. Unless you have equipment to test the PSU, it's probably best to take it to a PC repair shop for them to do it.

maidos

Dec 20, 2009
i guess so, i will probably just rma and sell it second hand. im going to buy seasonic plus gold 750 watt this time

Reactions: UsandThem