Is my MyDigitalSSD BPX480 running to hot?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Sorry for posting another drive question tonight but in this thread about my wifes hdd UsandThem suggested a program called CrystalDiskInfo. I used this program to diagnose that the drive was indeed failing but I also noticed something else about the nvme drive.in my main desktop.
It appears to be idling at 76*C and when doing file transfers the temp can reach 86*C or more. Is that an acceptable temperature range for this drive or should it be running cooler? I have noticed that when running benchmarks it can really get hot and I am wondering if that could be affecting performance.
The only reason I ask is because on all my other drives the temp is blue but on my nvme drive it is red.
2tjZtEe.png

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's awfully warm. I prefer that mine run under 60C, or maybe 70C at most. Look into an M.2 heatsink? Wait, is this a laptop we're talking about? Those BPX drives run warm anyways, I think. Maybe try a Plextor drive with the heatsink?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
No this nvme drive is in my desktop not a laptop. I thought is seemed a little on the warm side. Any suggestions on a decent m.2 heatsink for my BPX? Unfortunately I can not afford another nvme drive so buying a Plextor is a no go.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There were a few threads some months ago about M.2 heatsinks. If you haven't already, maybe just try to get some airflow over it?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
There were a few threads some months ago about M.2 heatsinks. If you haven't already, maybe just try to get some airflow over it?
Sounds good I will search for that thread and see what other users are reporting.
Ask and you shall receive:

https://www.amazon.com/EK-383004699...8&qid=1511755873&sr=8-2&keywords=m.2+heatsink

Do you have good airflow in your case (and not really dusty)?
Thanks for the link. You and VirtualLarry both mentioned good airflow in my case. It is a stock Corsair Spec Alpha and I dust it out every 3-6 months. It is actually a fun chore that me and my sons do together. We bring our cases out to the back yard and blow them out with the air compressor. We use pencils to keep the fans from spinning to fast and frying the bearings and we keep the air nozzle at a safe distance from other components.
Anyway, I will look into the heatsink you linked to and search for the thread VirtualLarry mentioned and go from there. Thanks guys.
I'm in a picture mood tonight haha so here is one of the inside of my case. As you can see it is fairly clean and cable management is pretty good. Good enough to not block airflow.
7LENkIu.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Also, now that I am not on the mobile site, I see your picture. Where is your NVMe drive at? Is it under your video card?

One thing I found out by having my drive in that location, is heat gets trapped to a degree. If you let your MSI card stop its fans when it is under 50c, that heat kind of stays there. I recommend using MSI Afterburner, and setting your video card to run it's fans at say around 25% even when not needed to move that heat. I have the same style MSI card, and it made a difference for me. Plus, it looks like your PSU is an EVGA G3 (which I also own), so it comes with the "eco" mode enabled (stops fan when not stressed), but that heat will rise into your case. I recommend turning "eco" off, and let the fan run. It will help cool down your PC, and its fan is pretty quiet as well at low RPMs.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Also, now that I am not on the mobile site, I see your picture. Where is your NVMe drive at? Is it under your video card?

One thing I found out by having my drive in that location, is heat gets trapped to a degree. If you let your MSI card stop its fans when it is under 50c, that heat kind of stays there. I recommend using MSI Afterburner, and setting your video card to run it's fans at say around 25% even when not needed to move that heat. I have the same style MSI card, and it made a difference for me. Plus, it looks like your PSU is an EVGA G3 (which I also own), so it comes with the "eco" mode enabled (stops fan when not stressed), but that heat will rise into your case. I recommend turning "eco" off, and let the fan run. It will help cool down your PC, and its fan is pretty quiet as well at low RPMs.
Yes the drive is located slightly below and off center of my RX480. Your simple solutions seem to be working wonders. My temp readings on the drive are now between 49*C and 53*C at idle and 70*C and 80*C when running CrystalDiskMark. Thanks again for the second time tonight.haha:)

Reactions: VirtualLarry

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yes the drive is located slightly below and off center of my RX480. Your simple solutions seem to be working wonders. My temp readings on the drive are now between 49*C and 53*C at idle and 70*C and 80*C when running CrystalDiskMark. Thanks again for the second time tonight.haha:)

Glad to help. I'm glad I got on my laptop, or I would have never known you supplied a very helpful picture.