Is my iPhone 6S in need of a new battery?

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
My 6S is right around 2 years old from new. I remember in the past, a full charge would last me pretty long (several days sometimes) because I have very light use. These days though, if I leave 100% charge in the morning sitting on my desk and don't use it, it'll use 30%+ charge by that same evening. I am definitely charging it noticeably more now due to that. Do batteries really only last 2 years or do I have another problem?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My 6S is right around 2 years old from new. I remember in the past, a full charge would last me pretty long (several days sometimes) because I have very light use. These days though, if I leave 100% charge in the morning sitting on my desk and don't use it, it'll use 30%+ charge by that same evening. I am definitely charging it noticeably more now due to that. Do batteries really only last 2 years or do I have another problem?
Most likely. My iphone 7 is at 85 percent and has been on but not used for over a week. I switched my work iphone 7 to a pixel 2 and left the iphone on.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Do batteries really only last 2 years or do I have another problem?

Definitely longer, but there are ways to make them last. If you are still in need of more battery life after replacement, you could try a battery case (meh)

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
That is the behavior of a 6s in my household. I had no idea just how bad it was. And I have had this perception of "iPhones = awesome idle battery performance" all these years! Talk about being blindsided.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Battery life could degreade a lot in two years ... But battery life is usually rated as Cycles of charge form zero to full. Usually, there is about 800-1000 times. So, 365 is about right for battery life. The decision to upgrade or fork out $ for a new battery and possibly paying someone to pry apart the phone to swap it out comes into play.

Last edited: