is my CPU dead?

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
When I woke up today and wen't turn on my pc, it was turning on then quickly turning off, and repeatedly did this on its own until I flipped the switch on the power supply.
I decided to take off the back panel and it looked like water leaked down the panel, but nothing else was wet, so I decided to take out my water cooler and check for leaks, but it wasn't leaking, so I guessed my cat peed on my computer since she likes to lay on top of it.
I then decided to take one part out at a time, first my one of two ram sticks, this time it booted up to the motherboard logo where you can access the bios, but it quickly shut off after that, then I decided to try the other stick of ram but when I did that it turned on and instantly shut off, without even lasting 2 seconds.
After that I decided to test if it was the SSD that was failing, so I put in my brothers computer, and it worked fine, so that wasn't the culprit.
My dad suggested that I take the graphics card out and then try to boot again, it still didn't work. so after all this, I decided to take out the SSD, graphics card, ram, and try it with only the power supply, motherboard, and cpu without a cooler, the motherboards Led is on, so I guessed that must mean the power supply works if it gives the motherboards led power, and the motherboard must work otherwise the led wouldn't turn on, however these are just guesses.
So is my do you think my cpu is dead, and if not which part is it? Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Here are my pc parts if that matters: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cmn79W

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Try a change in power supply. I know, the one listed is a beauty but lighting up an led does not automatically qualify the power as problem free.

Reactions: Werrty

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Man, I have seen several "cat peed on my computer" threads here lately after not seeing one the previous 16 years.

I'm just glad I am a dog person ;)

Outside of that, when liquid gets onto a PCB that is powered, it can destroy anything connected to it. You really need to test each component......and I agree the PSU is one of the first things to verify it properly works.

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
Try a change in power supply. I know, the one listed is a beauty but lighting up an led does not automatically qualify the power as problem free.

Man, I have seen several "cat peed on my computer" threads here lately after not seeing one the previous 16 years.

I'm just glad I am a dog person ;)

Outside of that, when liquid gets onto a PCB that is powered, it can destroy anything connected to it. You really need to test each component......and I agree the PSU is one of the first things to verify it properly works.

I just got done testing with my brothers 1050 GS, and the power supply doesn't seem to be the problem since it still shows the motherboard and graphics card (2 white lights to confirm cables are plugged in) leds and still won't turn on.

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
After researching a bit on how to test my 850 G2 power supply, I found a test called the paperclip test, so I went ahead and tried it. It turns out my power supply works, but it made a constant clicking sound while being tested, I usually have eco mode on, so the fan is usually not running while being used, and since this test said to have eco mode off, I assume it was the fan making the clicking sound since this is the first time I have heard it. I don't believe this clicking sound is normal, but I would like a second opinion. is this sound normal? Should I keep the power supply? Should I send it back to EVGA for a replacement?

Pick2

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2017
... so I guessed my cat peed on my computer
Urine is both corrosive and conductive. I would examine exactly where the pee ran , and replace or at least test anything it touched. I'd bet you need a new motherboard.

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
Urine is both corrosive and conductive. I would examine exactly where the pee ran , and replace or at least test anything it touched. I'd bet you need a new motherboard.

I only found the urine on the side panel where all the cables hide behind the motherboard, other than that I found nothing, the problem is that I don't have any spare parts to test the CPU, motherboard, or ram separately.

So all I know is that I have a power supply that works and makes a clicking sound when eco mode is off, but won't work when plugged into the motherboard, and a SSD that works since I tested that in my brothers computer. My brother has a z97 motherboard, and since I have a Skylake CPU and DDR4 ram, I can't test them. So I am forced to RMA the CPU, Motherboard, and to be safe I will also RMA the ram.

I am also going to test my water cooler to see if it is leaking, and if it isn't I am going to sell it and get a air cooler just to be safe. I have had my eyes on Be Quiet's Dark Rock Pro 3, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Phanteks TC14PE, and Noctua NH-D15. Which would you recommend, or should I get one that I didn't mention?

Also do you think I should send the power supply back to EVGA due to the clicking noise of the fan/power supply? Or am I safe to keep it?

Pick2

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2017
Was the CPU overclocked ? Have you tried resetting / clearing the BIOS ? Was the urine on the outside of the side panel , or between the side panel and MoBo ? Was it still damp when you first saw it ? I'd take a magnifying glass and do a real close exam on the MoBo. Liquid has a habit of wicking under /around and thru tiny spaces.
It's not uncommon for power supplies to click without a load on them. The good ones all have under/over voltage and current shutdown circuits. I would not run a PS that did not have those circuits :)
Sorry for all the questions , I'm just trying to narrow the problem down a bit.

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
Was the CPU overclocked ? Have you tried resetting / clearing the BIOS ? Was the urine on the outside of the side panel , or between the side panel and MoBo ? Was it still damp when you first saw it ? I'd take a magnifying glass and do a real close exam on the MoBo. Liquid has a habit of wicking under /around and thru tiny spaces.
It's not uncommon for power supplies to click without a load on them. The good ones all have under/over voltage and current shutdown circuits. I would not run a PS that did not have those circuits :)
Sorry for all the questions , I'm just trying to narrow the problem down a bit.

I took my motherboard out of the case today, and there was urine running down the back of it, and a tiny bit that I accidentally stuck my finger in on the top of it. Most of it was dried with a paper towel, but a small bit of it is still visible, so I hope that Gigabyte will still honor their warranty even though it visibly was wet. I don't know which parts were destroyed by this other than the motherboard so I am going to RMA the CPU, Motherboard, and Ram.

How do I package the CPU? I don't have the retail box, but I was reading that I could wrap it in the non sticky side of electrical tape, then wrap that in bubble wrap. Is this safe?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Err, RMA is NOT accidental damage insurance.

Chalk this one up to experience, and consider getting homeowners / renters insurance.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
board is likely toast, and at least one of the DIMMs, the stick it won't post with.

And FFS, never run your cpu without a cooler.

And bitch slap that cat.

Reactions: Pick2 and Werrty

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
Err, RMA is NOT accidental damage insurance.

Chalk this one up to experience, and consider getting homeowners / renters insurance.

So you are saying Gigabyte won't replace it then?

Will Intel and G.Skill still take my CPU and Ram since they won't know what the damage is from if there is any, or would they know it's from urine also?

Pick2

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2017
AND ! The first thing you are going to do with your next rig is turn the case up side down and seal the the case top so this will never happen again , right ? RIGHT ?
:D :) :p

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So you are saying Gigabyte won't replace it then?

Will Intel and G.Skill still take my CPU and Ram since they won't know what the damage is from if there is any, or would they know it's from urine also?
What you're hinting at, here on these forums, is considered RMA fraud. It is ground for getting banned.

You can call them, and be completely honest, and tell them that your cat peed in your PC. Probably won't be worth pursuing, but maybe they might feel sorry for you, and offer an RMA. I don't believe it would be fraud if you were up-front honest about the whole thing.

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
What you're hinting at, here on these forums, is considered RMA fraud. It is ground for getting banned.

You can call them, and be completely honest, and tell them that your cat peed in your PC. Probably won't be worth pursuing, but maybe they might feel sorry for you, and offer an RMA. I don't believe it would be fraud if you were up-front honest about the whole thing.

I'll be honest and admit I didn't read the rules of this forum when I joined since I was panicking and needed help, so I didn't know it was against the rules or I would get banned for RMA fraud.

However if the CPU and Ram are not technically damaged by urine, since urine did not get on them, and instead damaged by the motherboard dying, would it still be fraud?
I'm not trying to break any rules, i'm just curious.

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
AND ! The first thing you are going to do with your next rig is turn the case up side down and seal the the case top so this will never happen again , right ? RIGHT ?
:D :) :p

If I turned the case upside down the top would be on the floor. :confused:

I am thinking of getting a Phanteks Evolv case so I can have a solid top while still being vented though.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'll be honest and admit I didn't read the rules of this forum when I joined since I was panicking and needed help, so I didn't know it was against the rules or I would get banned for RMA fraud.

However if the CPU and Ram are not technically damaged by urine, since urine did not get on them, and instead damaged by the motherboard dying, would it still be fraud?
They're not just going to issue an RMA in most cases. Good luck.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Yes, because physical damage (cat pee) was responsible for the problems. If urine did not get directly on the components (I'm sure they check for liquid damage), and you send it in knowing that your cat damaged the components, and it was not a manufacturing defect, that is considered RMA fraud. Will they be able to tell? Maybe, but the ethical and honest thing to do is chalk the loss up to bad luck, buy new components, and take steps from it ever happening again.

Look at it from the angle if it were your business, and some guy sent in cat pee damaged items, and claimed they were just defective. Pretty crappy thing to do if you ask me.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
Yes, because physical damage (cat pee) was responsible for the problems. If urine did not get directly on the components (I'm sure they check for liquid damage), and you send it in knowing that your cat damaged the components, and it was not a manufacturing defect, that is considered RMA fraud. Will they be able to tell? Maybe, but the ethical and honest thing to do is chalk the loss up to bad luck, buy new components, and take steps from it ever happening again.

Look at it from the angle if it were your business, and some guy sent in cat pee damaged items, and claimed they were just defective. Pretty crappy thing to do if you ask me.

You're right, if I owned a business I wouldn't want hundreds of people sending in self-damaged items :p

So if I buy a new Z270 motherboard for example, and the CPU I have now is dead, is it possible for the CPU to kill the new motherboard? Or should I just buy everything new, and scrap my old parts, i'm asking because I don't really want to risk killing new parts over and over.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You're right, if I owned a business I wouldn't want hundreds of people sending in self-damaged items :p

So if I buy a new Z270 motherboard for example, and the CPU I have now is dead, is it possible for the CPU to kill the new motherboard? Or should I just buy everything new, and scrap my old parts, i'm asking because I don't really want to risk killing new parts over and over.

Doubtful the CPU would cause any damage. As long as it doesn't have moisture on it (which it shouldn't by this point). If it was shorted/fried, it shouldn't do anything. If you put the CPU in the new motherboard and it doesn't work, you have your answer. Now, I wouldn't hook that old PSU back to the PC, because if something on it shorted/was damaged, I could see that causing some problems. You can always take individual components to a local PC repair shop and have them test them out to see if they work. They probably wouldn't charge that much to test a CPU, and then you would know for sure if works or is dead.

Nowadays I always buy a motherboard with a LED code display so I can see what error code and which component is causing the issue. Otherwise you have to plug a small speaker to the motherboard and listen to a series of beeps, which sucks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Strictly speaking, if the CPU or RAM got shorted out 'just the right way', then yes, they could potentially damage the new board. However, in the overall scheme of things, that's unlikely.

Werrty

Jun 23, 2017
Strictly speaking, if the CPU or RAM got shorted out 'just the right way', then yes, they could potentially damage the new board. However, in the overall scheme of things, that's unlikely.

If I decide to take the CPU and Ram to a repair shop to get them tested, how do I pack the CPU without breaking it? I was reading earlier that if I wrap the CPU in the non sticky side of electrical tape, then wrap that in bubble wrap, it should be safe. Would you recommend doing this? or is there another safer way of doing it?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If I decide to take the CPU and Ram to a repair shop to get them tested, how do I pack the CPU without breaking it? I was reading earlier that if I wrap the CPU in the non sticky side of electrical tape, then wrap that in bubble wrap, it should be safe. Would you recommend doing this? or is there another safer way of doing it?

You can put back in the little plastic tray tray it came in, or put it in an anti-static bag like your video card and motherboard came in (cut a smaller section out of bigger bag if needed). Then just keep it sealed with a small piece of scotch/painters tape.

With Intel, the motherboard has all the sensitive pins that can be bent. The CPU will be fine as long as you aren't being rough with it.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
or you could just leave the cpu in the motherboard with the ram and bring all that in one large anti-static bag for testing.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Wash it in the dishwasher and then bake it at 250 degrees to dry it. There is nothing left to lose.

Then dunk it in a vat of 91% Isopropyl alcohol if you are scared of "minerals" or any leftover water.