Question Is my card dying?

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
I have a 580 that is relatively new, maybe a year or two old.

It was under clocked for a year or so with no issues. Now it has started to artefact when in non demanding games like MTG Arena. Any game that pushes the clocks up higher seems fine. This occurs even after exiting the game and makes it impossible to use the computer. Restarting fixes it until one of those games is opened, after that artefact happens in the game and on the desktop.

I have tried
-setting everything to default voltages and clocks(obviously)
-driver update
-driver update after driver cleaner uninstall from safe mode
-checking cords
-turning off Radeon Chill
-crossing fingers
-bios update

My question is A-anyone got any other suggestions? and B- is it likely dying?

......I suppose on the plus side this would give me an excuse to buy an RTX voice capable card .

Edit: Just did a test. I loaded sc2 and it immediately started showing display issues. clocks were between 300 and 1270. As soon as the game loaded it fixed. When I exited the game it became really bad.

Edit 2- Thought I fixed it up with a bios update but no luck, it's still doing it.

Last edited:

Guru

May 5, 2017
I mean a dying card would usually start showing signs in demanding games, not in non demanding ones. I think your card is underclocking and is likely causing the stability issues.

I'd turn off the computer, turn off the PSU from the button and power cord, reset cmos, reset bios, reattached the card, reattach all the cords and cables in and out of the card and monitor, dust off the card while you are at it, get a can of compressed air and blow it outside of your case, as to not spread the dust around in your other components, dust off the psu as well while you are at it.

Then go to windows, uninstall drivers in safe mode with DDU, download some older drivers that worked before and ee if it works.

Make sure you aren't applying your undervoltage on windows startup, msi afterburner applies it at windows start, so if you don't disable that, even if you don't open afterburner its still running that profile with your card undervolted.

Try and also give SC2 a high priority in task manager, maybe run it in compatibility mode as well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The Adrenaline 2020 drivers have a "Factory Reset" option in them, I would encourage using that option, then rebooting, and see if the problem recurs.

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
Maybe try underclocking the memory a bit, or adding a bit more voltage at lower clocks? Or perhaps your power supply is having issues - do you have a spare PSU you can try?

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Maybe try underclocking the memory a bit, or adding a bit more voltage at lower clocks? Or perhaps your power supply is having issues - do you have a spare PSU you can try?

Yeah I was thinking memory too but I underclock didn't seem to do much. I had not considered the power supply......I only just finished building my wife a pc a few minutes ago. Should have checked this first! I will try the card in her pc and see if it's still doing it.

Reactions: Feld

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
So after playing with a bunch of settings I realised it only does it when extending the screen to two monitors? Actual card is fine in another computer. Thoughts?

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
That's very odd. I'm at a loss. Does the other computer have two monitors, or can you replicate that situation there?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
IIRC, the 570/580 were "special" compared to the 470/480 because they had a more variable clock rate for vram than the earlier cards, which were all or nothing.

One of those scenarios was multi-monitor use, where the 4xx cards went to full memory clocks but the 5xx cards didn't have to.

I am not sure if this is super helpful, but trying to shed light on what might be different about 1 monitor vs 2 in this situation.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
IIRC, the 570/580 were "special" compared to the 470/480 because they had a more variable clock rate for vram than the earlier cards, which were all or nothing.

One of those scenarios was multi-monitor use, where the 4xx cards went to full memory clocks but the 5xx cards didn't have to.

I am not sure if this is super helpful, but trying to shed light on what might be different about 1 monitor vs 2 in this situation.

Interesting. You might be right that its a problem with the low clock voltage but Radeon Software doesn't let me adjust state 0 voltage for either setting . Kind of frustrating.

I was curious to see if it works with eye infinity display......and yes it does everything is fine.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: