Is Micro Center worth a one hour drive to buy computer parts?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Remobz, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Gillbot

Gillbot Lifer

We as in me and my work, not Anandtech.

2. videogames101

videogames101 Diamond Member

me and my friends get together and car pool the hour drive to the boston MC when we've built up enough demand, saves gas when you split it

3. JerYnkFan

JerYnkFan Member

I've got one 30 minutes from my house and I won't make the trip unless I am in the area or they have a great deal in regards to Newegg/Amazon. Between gas & tolls, the savings sometimes isn't that great although they do charge on 3.5% tax instead of 7%.

4. mfenn

mfenn Elite Member <br> Currently on <BR> Moderator Sabb
    Super Moderator

Another :thumbsup: to this. It's worth it to go at least once if you're at all interested in computer parts.

5. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Awesome! I think Zap would agree - that definitely qualifies as an author's "we." <LOL>

The author's "we", Similar to the editorial "we", is the practice common in scientific literature of referring to a generic third person by we (instead of the more common one or the informal you.

Examples: "By adding four and five, we obtain nine." "We are thus led also to a definition of "time" in physics." – Albert Einstein.

"We" in this sense often refers to "the reader and the author, since the author often assumes that the reader knows and agrees with certain principles or previous theorems for the sake of brevity (or, if not, the reader is prompted to look them up), for example, so that the author does not need to explicitly write out every step of a mathematical proof. This practice is also common in philosophy journals and texts, and comments in computer source code.

6. Gillbot

Gillbot Lifer

That was too many words and not enough pictures, so i'll just say huh? :awe:

7. Bman123

Bman123 Diamond Member

I hope the service at other MC stores is better then the mayfield heights location. I live 40 minutes from there and only go when I need a CPU as I often save over $50 because I'll see something else I need that is pretty cheap plus I can get it there and not wait 3 days for it to be shipped to me.

The salesmen at Mayfield heights are vultures tho, worst customer service I have ever gotten besides walmart and bestbuy hands down. They don't leave you alone when your looking and some of them don't know jack about building a pc

8. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

As far as my extensive experience with Micro-center goes.

If this is what you need "video card, ram, keyboard, mouse, psu".

Unless you are looking for Expensive Video card and PSU and they happen to be on very good Sale, you are wasting your time and money to go there.

:cool:

9. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

MC has lost a lot of their luster to me. Back in the day, it was one of the few places to go for computer parts. Still remember picking up my first Sound Blaster card from them to play Wing Commander.

There are some good deals, but it's really hit or miss. They also don't carry some key brands which is frustrating.

10. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Anyone remember Egghead software? When the Internet came around, they promptly went online-only, and quickly went out of business.

Edit: I should also comment, that "Newegg" has NOTHING to do with "Egghead Software".

11. Zap

Zap Elite Member

[​IMG]

12. ramj70

ramj70 Senior member

I loved Egghead, I used to buy all my PC games and peripherals from them. Amazon eventually bought the company.

13. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

have you been to MC in the last couple years? i used to feel the same, that fry's was the only b&m with any deals. now MC has tons of deals and fry's has not much at all.